Old February 23rd 05, 03:09 AM
Al Patrick

Default A Tribute to the Bible

Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

[ALL TYPOS ARE MINE ALONE! I think I'll copyright them!] :-) [Where
he underlined for emphasis I'll use upper case.]

===========

A Tribute to the Bible

The Bible is not an amulet, a charm, a fetish, or a book that will work
wonders by its very presence.

IT IS a book that will work wonders in every life, here and hereafter,
if acted upon and obeyed in faith and sincerity. IT IS God's inspired
revelation of the origin and destiny of all things, written in the most
simple human language possible so that the most unlearned can understand
and obey its teachings. IT IS self-interpreting and covers every
subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

AS A LITERARY COMPOSITION, the Bible is the most remarkable book ever
made. It is a divine library of 66 books, some of considerable size,
and others no larger than a tract. THESE BOOKS INCLUDE various forms of
literature - history, biography, poetry, proverbial sayings, hymns,
letters, directions for elaborate ritualistic worship, laws, parables,
riddles, allegories, prophecy, drama, and others. They embrace all
manner of literary styles in human expression.

IT IS THE BOOK THAT REVEALS the mind of God, the state of man, the way
of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its
doctrines are holy, its precepts binding, its histories true, and its
decisions immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and
practice it to be holy. The Bible contains light to direct you, food to
support you, and comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler's map, the
pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the
Christian's charter. Here heaven is opened, and the gates of hell
disclosed. Christ is its grand subject, our good is its design, and the
glory of God its end. It should fill your memory, rule your heart, and
guide your feet in righteousness and true holiness. Read it slowly,
frequently, prayerfully, meditatively, searchingly, devotionally, and
study it constantly, perseveringly, and industriously. Read it through
and through until it becomes part of your being and generates faith that
will move mountains. The Bible is a mine of wealth, the source of
health, and a world of pleasure. It is given to you in this life, will
be opened at the judgment, and will stand forever. It involves the
highest responsibility, will reward the least to the greatest of labor,
and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

Old February 23rd 05, 03:51 AM
Honus

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

That means absolutely nothing, and the same claims could be made by any
other holy book. And written in the most simple human language possible?
What hyperbole! It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.
Having a word for "sphere" or "globe", etc. for example would have made the
whole is the Earth round or flat debate moot. I won't even go near the
"almah" means young lady vs. virgin debate. And as for understanding and
obeying its teachings, yeah...right. that's why they're more subsets of
Christianity than you can name.

Old February 23rd 05, 04:26 AM
Al Patrick

Honus wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

[ALL TYPOS ARE MINE ALONE! I think I'll copyright them!] :-) [Where
he underlined for emphasis I'll use upper case.]

===========

A Tribute to the Bible

s n i p

It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.

You'd better be careful, Honus. Comments like that will get you LABELED
as ANTI-SEMITIC ! Wasn't most of it written in HEBREW? :-)

I can see the headlines now, HONUS, ANTI-SEMITIC
Old February 23rd 05, 04:34 AM
Honus

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Honus wrote:

It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.

You'd better be careful, Honus. Comments like that will get you LABELED
as ANTI-SEMITIC ! Wasn't most of it written in HEBREW? :-)

I can see the headlines now, HONUS, ANTI-SEMITIC

Nice try, but no cigar. I don't think anyone here (including you) is going
to seriously accuse me of being an anti-Semite.

Come to think of it, that wasn't even a nice try.

And my point stands. I see you didn't try to refute it. Smart boy.

Old February 23rd 05, 04:33 AM
Brian Oakley

"Honus" wrote in message

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

I have to disagree. The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels. As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you choose.
As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed. As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.
Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to mind.
For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives. If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

Old February 23rd 05, 06:28 AM
Honus

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

I have to disagree.

Gosh. I didn't see -that- coming.

The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels.

Of course, you can find -millions- of Muslims that say that it doesn't. And
of course, Christians have been killing infidels since Day ****ing One. And
saying that the Koran can't work wonders is extraordinarily ignorant. IIRC
it's the fastest growing religion in if not the US then the world. Are these
people converting because they're craven evil *******s that want to fill
their lives with sin? Or is it more likely that they're experienceing the
change that you think only comes with Christianity? You know...the one that
you're so smugly dismissing?

As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you choose.

The point is that God could have either selected a better language or made
Hebrew more suitable for his purpose.

As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed.

Wrong. Do some research. I would advise asking Jews what the words mean.
It's their language, after all. But you might not like the answer.

As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.

Which wouldn't be an issue if God had "either selected a better language or
made Hebrew more suitable for his purpose." I don't need your help...really.

Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack

of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to mind.

See above.

For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives.

You don't know me or my background. Do a little research before you make an
ass of yourself.

If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

In other words, no sin. Therefore, it's -impossible- to live as you
describe. God says so.

You just go on telling yourself that you've got the One True Faith. Nothing
I can say is going to change your mind. Do you -really- believe that no
other religion teaches morality comparable to yours? Don't answer; I already
know what you're going to say. By the way...ever read up on Bhuddists?

Old February 23rd 05, 01:44 PM
Brian Oakley

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

Well regardless of what they say, thats what it says. Ive read it.

And
of course, Christians have been killing infidels since Day ****ing One.

You dont know your history. Christians have NOT killed unbelievers. The
political leaders of the Church may have, but just because someone is a
leader doesnt mean they know Christ.

And
saying that the Koran can't work wonders is extraordinarily ignorant.

Only wonders it works is to lead people astray and cause them to hate those
who are not muslim.

IIRC
it's the fastest growing religion in if not the US then the world.

Sure it is! Its an easy religion for a sinner to follow! You can hate anyone
thats not of your thinking!

Are these
people converting because they're craven evil *******s that want to fill
their lives with sin?

See above.

Or is it more likely that they're experienceing the
change that you think only comes with Christianity? You know...the one

that
you're so smugly dismissing?

Love is not part of Islam. Not even love for their own family. If a family
member converts to Christianity, they are in absolute danger of being killed
by their own family members.

As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you

choose.

The point is that God could have either selected a better language or made
Hebrew more suitable for his purpose.

God selected the Hebrew people. If you read the Bible it tells you why. As
for their language, I dont believe they had any problems with it.

As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek

word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed.

Wrong. Do some research. I would advise asking Jews what the words mean.
It's their language, after all. But you might not like the answer.

The Jews that wrote the Septuigint knew what it meant. And they were closer
in time to the actually hebrew manuscripts they used to write it. THEY would
be the authority of what it means. Not some Jew off the street today. The
average Jew here doesnt even speak Hebrew as fluently as they speak english.
They dont know ancient Hebrew. That language has changed over they years.
There are words in the Bible that they dont even know the definations for.
How are they going to translate something they werent even close to? The
authority is with the Septuigint.

As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.

Which wouldn't be an issue if God had "either selected a better language

or
made Hebrew more suitable for his purpose." I don't need your

help...really.

Have you ever thought about maybe God WANTING there to be different
denominations? I guess not.

Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack

of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends

itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to

mind.

See above.

For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you

don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives.

You don't know me or my background. Do a little research before you make

an
ass of yourself.

Ad Hominem again. Did you get a good grade in debate school? Oh NO, thats
right, you didnt go!

If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

In other words, no sin. Therefore, it's -impossible- to live as you
describe. God says so.

That is in contrast with other books. Again you are missing the point or
trying to twist the point. Stay on topic. I know how ADD can be though.

You just go on telling yourself that you've got the One True Faith.

Nothing
I can say is going to change your mind. Do you -really- believe that no
other religion teaches morality comparable to yours? Don't answer; I

already
know what you're going to say. By the way...ever read up on Bhuddists?

Buddha is dead. In the grave. He was a mere man. With lots of faults.

Old February 24th 05, 02:02 AM
Brian Running

You dont know your history. Christians have NOT killed unbelievers. The
political leaders of the Church may have, but just because someone is a
leader doesnt mean they know Christ.

Sure it is! Its an easy religion for a sinner to follow! You can hate anyone
thats not of your thinking!

Once again, written by the same person in the same post. Do you suppose
he doesn't get the irony of these two statements together? Darned good
thing it has so much to do with shortwave, or else I'd think it was just
loony talk.
Old February 24th 05, 03:58 AM
Honus

"Honus" wrote in message

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

snip

The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels.

Of course, you can find -millions- of Muslims that say that it doesn't.

Well regardless of what they say, thats what it says. Ive read it.

I find that highly unlikey. It's rare enough to encounter a Christian that's
read the Bible cover to cover, much less one that's gone on to peruse other
holy books. That's a good way to let a demon in. No, I'm guessing that
you've read -portions- of the book. And as someone else has pointed out,
they were taken out of context. Besides, just like the Bible I imagine you
can twist the Koran around to make it mean whatever one desires.

And
of course, Christians have been killing infidels since Day ****ing One.

You dont know your history. Christians have NOT killed unbelievers. The
political leaders of the Church may have, but just because someone is a
leader doesnt mean they know Christ.

You know, for a guy who prides himself on his deabting skills and his
ability to argue for the faith, you sure walk into a bunch of left hooks. If
you're really interesting in learning something, look up the no true
Scotsman fallacy. It not only applies here, IIRC it was made to describe
this situation. And of course, guys that snipe abortion doctors aren't
Christians either, I suppose. Or do you want to change your statement to say
that Christians have never -murdered- nonbelievers? Since of course killing
an abortion doctor and or their staff isn't murder. And who doesn't know
their history?

And
saying that the Koran can't work wonders is extraordinarily ignorant.

Only wonders it works is to lead people astray and cause them to hate

those
who are not muslim.

IIRC
it's the fastest growing religion in if not the US then the world.

Sure it is! Its an easy religion for a sinner to follow! You can hate

anyone
thats not of your thinking!

First of all, there's no shortage of Christians who hate people that aren't
of their thinking. I'll bet you're one of them, and I'll bet I'm the target
of some of that off-line derision and ire. Do you love me, as Jesus said you
should? Not bloody likely. (Don't worry; I'm not losing sleep.) Besides,
there are Christians that claim that's not what Jesus commanded. (Oh, wait.
They're not True Christians, are they? See how it works?) Secondly, it's
seems kind of silly that someone who wants free reign to sin would join up
with any religion at all. You're twisting things around. It's the common
misconception of atheism that you're describing, not other religions.

Are these
people converting because they're craven evil *******s that want to fill
their lives with sin?

See above.

No, -you- see above.

Or is it more likely that they're experienceing the
change that you think only comes with Christianity? You know...the one

that
you're so smugly dismissing?

Love is not part of Islam. Not even love for their own family. If a family
member converts to Christianity, they are in absolute danger of being

killed
by their own family members.

That sounds downright Biblical to me. I wonder why? I don't know, the words
"Old Testament" keep popping up in my mind.

As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you

choose.

The point is that God could have either selected a better language or

made
Hebrew more suitable for his purpose.

God selected the Hebrew people. If you read the Bible it tells you why. As
for their language, I dont believe they had any problems with it.

I know why. What's more, I'm betting I know the -real- story behind it all,
bearing in mind that I don't believe in Jehovah. As for their language, no,
I don't imagine they had too many problems with it either. It's later
generations that are having the difficulties.

As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek

word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed.

Wrong. Do some research. I would advise asking Jews what the words mean.
It's their language, after all. But you might not like the answer.

The Jews that wrote the Septuigint knew what it meant. And they were

closer
in time to the actually hebrew manuscripts they used to write it. THEY

would
be the authority of what it means. Not some Jew off the street today. The
average Jew here doesnt even speak Hebrew as fluently as they speak

english.
They dont know ancient Hebrew.

That would be a miscommunication of my part. I didn't mean a Jew off of the
street; I guessed wrong when I figured you knew what I meant. And I'm
betting you still haven't checked out what "the other side" has to say about
this particular issue.

As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to

do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.

Which wouldn't be an issue if God had "either selected a better language

or
made Hebrew more suitable for his purpose." I don't need your

help...really.

Have you ever thought about maybe God WANTING there to be different
denominations? I guess not.

Sure I have. Have -you- considered that if god wasn't real and that the
bible was written by men, then we would have the religious fracturing that
we do?

Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our

lack
of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends

itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to

mind.

See above.

For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you

don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives.

You don't know me or my background. Do a little research before you make

an
ass of yourself.

Ad Hominem again. Did you get a good grade in debate school? Oh NO, thats
right, you didnt go!

How do you know? And if that was ad hominem on my part, so was your crack
about me not attending debate school. Hypocrite.

If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder,

no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

In other words, no sin. Therefore, it's -impossible- to live as you
describe. God says so.

That is in contrast with other books. Again you are missing the point or
trying to twist the point. Stay on topic. I know how ADD can be though.

Personal experience? You have my sympathy. You also have my scorn for
criticizing what you view as ad hominem on my part, and then doing it
yourself. As far as your statement, it doesn't parse. If every one live by
Buddhist teachings, there'd be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder,
no theft. If you had a point, you didn't make it well. Christians don't have
the corner on the morality market. The sanctimony market, perhaps. In this
country, certainly.

You just go on telling yourself that you've got the One True Faith.

Nothing
I can say is going to change your mind. Do you -really- believe that no
other religion teaches morality comparable to yours? Don't answer; I

already
know what you're going to say. By the way...ever read up on Bhuddists?

Buddha is dead. In the grave. He was a mere man. With lots of faults.

"Again you are missing the point or trying to twist the point." Sound
familiar? The point was, as I said above, you don't have the market on
morality. I'd follow a dead mortal with his admitted faults long before I'd
follow someone who made the supernatural claims that Jesus did. And I hate
to break this to you, but Jesus is dead too.

Old February 23rd 05, 03:01 PM
Al Dykes

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

So does the Old Testament if you read the right parts selectively.
The problem is fundies, /literalists and people that have an agenda
and are using a holy book to justify their ends. A pox on them.

The popularly quoted phrase from the Koran that says "kill all the
infidels" is taken out of context. The rest of the paragraph says
"unless they leave us alone". Nothing wring with that.

Read the writings of Karen Armstrong

http://www.islamfortoday.com/karenarmstrong.htm

and Bernard Lewis

http://www.arab2.com/biography/bernard-lewis.htm

[...]

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Bible Voice B04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 13th 04 10:03 PM
Bible Voice Broadcasting A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 19th 04 11:43 PM
Bishop of Oxford writes "Gay love's fine, it's all in the Bible" The REAL Agent Smith General 0 July 1st 03 02:04 PM
Bishop of Oxford writes "Gay love's fine, it's all in the Bible" The REAL Agent Smith Scanner 0 July 1st 03 02:04 PM