Old February 23rd 05, 01:44 PM
Brian Oakley

"Honus" wrote in message
news:VnVSd.54651$uc.2122@trnddc04...

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
news:H4TSd.54284$uc.1254@trnddc04...

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of

Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are

King
James Only.

[ALL TYPOS ARE MINE ALONE! I think I'll copyright them!] :-)

[Where
he underlined for emphasis I'll use upper case.]

===========

A Tribute to the Bible

The Bible is not an amulet, a charm, a fetish, or a book that will

work
wonders by its very presence.

IT IS a book that will work wonders in every life, here and

hereafter,
if acted upon and obeyed in faith and sincerity. IT IS God's

inspired
revelation of the origin and destiny of all things, written in the

most
simple human language possible so that the most unlearned can

understand
and obey its teachings. IT IS self-interpreting and covers every
subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

That means absolutely nothing, and the same claims could be made by

any
other holy book. And written in the most simple human language

possible?
What hyperbole! It was written in an inferior language, plain and

simple.
Having a word for "sphere" or "globe", etc. for example would have

made
the
whole is the Earth round or flat debate moot. I won't even go near the
"almah" means young lady vs. virgin debate. And as for understanding

and
obeying its teachings, yeah...right. that's why they're more subsets

of
Christianity than you can name.

I have to disagree.

Gosh. I didn't see -that- coming.

The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels.

Of course, you can find -millions- of Muslims that say that it doesn't.

Well regardless of what they say, thats what it says. Ive read it.

And
of course, Christians have been killing infidels since Day ****ing One.

You dont know your history. Christians have NOT killed unbelievers. The
political leaders of the Church may have, but just because someone is a
leader doesnt mean they know Christ.

And
saying that the Koran can't work wonders is extraordinarily ignorant.

Only wonders it works is to lead people astray and cause them to hate those
who are not muslim.

IIRC
it's the fastest growing religion in if not the US then the world.

Sure it is! Its an easy religion for a sinner to follow! You can hate anyone
thats not of your thinking!

Are these
people converting because they're craven evil *******s that want to fill
their lives with sin?

See above.

Or is it more likely that they're experienceing the
change that you think only comes with Christianity? You know...the one

that
you're so smugly dismissing?

Love is not part of Islam. Not even love for their own family. If a family
member converts to Christianity, they are in absolute danger of being killed
by their own family members.

As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you

choose.

The point is that God could have either selected a better language or made
Hebrew more suitable for his purpose.

God selected the Hebrew people. If you read the Bible it tells you why. As
for their language, I dont believe they had any problems with it.

As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek

word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed.

Wrong. Do some research. I would advise asking Jews what the words mean.
It's their language, after all. But you might not like the answer.

The Jews that wrote the Septuigint knew what it meant. And they were closer
in time to the actually hebrew manuscripts they used to write it. THEY would
be the authority of what it means. Not some Jew off the street today. The
average Jew here doesnt even speak Hebrew as fluently as they speak english.
They dont know ancient Hebrew. That language has changed over they years.
There are words in the Bible that they dont even know the definations for.
How are they going to translate something they werent even close to? The
authority is with the Septuigint.

As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.

Which wouldn't be an issue if God had "either selected a better language

or
made Hebrew more suitable for his purpose." I don't need your

help...really.

Have you ever thought about maybe God WANTING there to be different
denominations? I guess not.

Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack

of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends

itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to

mind.

See above.

For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you

don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives.

You don't know me or my background. Do a little research before you make

an
ass of yourself.

Ad Hominem again. Did you get a good grade in debate school? Oh NO, thats
right, you didnt go!

If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

In other words, no sin. Therefore, it's -impossible- to live as you
describe. God says so.

That is in contrast with other books. Again you are missing the point or
trying to twist the point. Stay on topic. I know how ADD can be though.

You just go on telling yourself that you've got the One True Faith.

Nothing
I can say is going to change your mind. Do you -really- believe that no
other religion teaches morality comparable to yours? Don't answer; I

already
know what you're going to say. By the way...ever read up on Bhuddists?

Buddha is dead. In the grave. He was a mere man. With lots of faults.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:46 PM
Brian Oakley

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

IT IS self-interpreting and covers every
subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

I can't find anything about Nuclear Physics in mine.

But it does teach you the responsability for managing it.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and
practice it to be holy.

Somebody poked me in the eye and it says in the bible I have to poke him
back, whereas I wanted to forgive him. Oops, I read the wrong bit!

You read the old dispenstion, not the new one. I suggest a class in
dispensation at your local church.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:45 PM
Simon Mason

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

You read the old dispenstion, not the new one. I suggest a class in
dispensation at your local church.

Thanks, but I had it rammed down my throat by nuns and priests from the age
of 5. Luckily I learned how to think for myself and stop believing in
ancient fairy stories, despite the brainwashing.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old February 23rd 05, 02:50 PM
David

It is an Elizabthan Mind****er's Handbook. Very useful for oppressing
slaves.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:55 PM
Al Patrick

Simon Mason wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

IT IS self-interpreting and covers every

subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

I can't find anything about Nuclear Physics in mine.

A book could be written here, but I'll attempt to keep it to the rough
draft of a tract -- which someone else can polish and publish.

Do you play a musical instrument? If you do you know the first thing
you have to do is TUNE it. If the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who
shall prepare himself to the battle? On that little word "if" rests so
many of the promises of God to mankind. IF we keep His laws, THEN He
will do certain things for us. ELSE .... See, It's a basic computer
program statement. IF...THEN...ELSE...

You have to get "in tune" to hear and understand some of the things in
the Bible.

I'll be asking you a few questions along the way. I'm sure you
appreciate the warning. :-)

Did you know that Jesus Christ occasionally spoke in parables so that
men would NOT understand what He was saying? Let's say He was speaking
ESoterically to His disciples instead of EXoterically to some EXterior
group - those who were not "in tune" with His program and plans. He
also mentions those who had ears and didn't hear and others having ears
TO HEAR. IF we have ears to hear His Word He'll give us understanding.

Did you know that there are 76 drops to a teaspoon? Check it out at
http://www.elivermore.com/conversions.htm ...and six teaspoons per fluid
ounce? (Bear with me now, I'm going some place, even if I don't know
where it is! -- as the Sprint PCS TV commercial used to say before we
started talking about the use of cell phones to track us, they'll find
you and deliver your phone call to you "even if YOU don't know where you
are!") ...16 ounces per pint, 2 pints per quart, etc. Therefore, a
peck bucket (that's 10 quarts) would contain 10 quarts times 2 pints per
quart times 16 ounces per pint times six teaspoons per ounce times 76
drops per teaspoonful. A formula for drops per bucket could be easily
written from the above information. 76 x 6 x 16 x 2 x 10 = Number of
drops per 10 quart bucket. That is 145,920 drops per 10 quart bucket --
but God is mighty big and strong and just might be referring, in this
allegorical passage, to a VERY LARGE BUCKET. "He's got the whole world
in His hands...." POINT: Isaiah 40:15, KJV, "Behold, the nations are
as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance:
behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing." ALL THE
NATIONS, individually or collectively, are as a drop of a bucket in the
sight of God. Remember, there are almost 150,000 of them -- IF we're
only talking about a 10 quart bucket - one fourth of a bushel!

NOW, let's look at what is going to happen to ALL the armies of ALL
those nations when Christ returns. Old Slough Foot, Satan, that wicked
one, is now in control of the armies of the world and they SEEM all
powerful. He could rightly promise Christ all the kingdoms of the world
if He'd only bow down and worship Satan. God / Christ had given him
that power. He is the prince of this world - right now. This is why so
many worship the devil. Remember "The Devil and Daniel Webster" ?
People actually are selling their souls to the devil, and he is actually
rewarding many of them very generously with this worlds good which will
all be burned up! When Christ returns He is going to destroy Satan, and
presumably ALL his allies. It's a really "tough" job! :-) Check out
Second Thessalonians 2:8, KJV, "And then shall that Wicked be revealed,
whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall
destroy with the brightness of his coming:"

Get that? The Wicked One is going to be DESTROYED -- WITH THE
BRIGHTNESS OF CHRIST'S COMING! Nuclear Physics, lasers, etc. won't even
compare! ....and all the nations of the world which have gathered to
fight against the returning Jesus Christ will be destroyed with him.

Nuclear Physics? Check out Zechariah. Zec 14:12, KJV, "And this shall
be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have
fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they
stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes,
and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth." Now, THAT sounds
like a nuclear blast to me. The flesh melting away while the bones yet
stand. Remember the shadows of men etched into the steel girders of
bridges in Japan? Yep, their bodies "consumed" part of that powerful
blast but the blast also consumed their bodies! Wasn't this AFTER Japan
had surrendered? Wasn't this one of the Japanese cities with a very
high percentage of Christian in it? Didn't the same thing re-occur just
a day or two later with the same or very similar circumstances?

Molecular Structure? Colossians, referring to Jesus Christ, says, Col
1:17, "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist." And
you probably were thinking electrons, protons, nucleus, etc. held things
together. What makes up the nucleus of an atom? Protons and Neutrons?
Protons, positively charged, "large" particles. Neutrons - approx.
same mass as proton, no charge. So, EVERY ATOM has a nucleus with MANY
particles that are positively charged and about the same number of
chargeless particles; i.e. the nucleus is POSITIVELY CHARGED. Yes, out
in orbit some distance from them are some NEGATIVELY CHARGED particles,
but the nucleus is, again, POSITIVELY CHARGED. Like charges repel! WHO
do you think is keeping those positively charged particles which are all
repelling each other FROM E-X-P-L-O-D-I-N-G-? Colossians 1:17 tells us
it is by Jesus Christ that ALL THINGS CONSIST. The Amplified amplifies
on this a bit - pun intended. Col. 1:17, "And He Himself existed
before all things, and in Him all things consist (cohere, are held
together)." It also recommends we read Proverbs 8:22-31. So Jesus
Christ is HOLDING TOGETHER -- ALL THINGS! ...And yet stupid men would
love to "do away" with Christ entirely! Couldn't do it the first time,
just played into His hands! Been trying to do it ever since -- those
who realize the first "treatment" didn't take! Yet they don't realize
that without Christ THEY ARE NOTHING. HE is holding THEM together! How
blind can we be?

The point is: While the Bible may not use the words nuclear or physics
it has MUCH to say about both! I have hardly scratched the surface.

SOMEBODY TAKE THIS BALL AND RUN A TOUCHDOWN WITH IT!

Old February 23rd 05, 03:01 PM
Al Dykes

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

I have to disagree. The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels. As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it

So does the Old Testament if you read the right parts selectively.
The problem is fundies, /literalists and people that have an agenda
and are using a holy book to justify their ends. A pox on them.

The popularly quoted phrase from the Koran that says "kill all the
infidels" is taken out of context. The rest of the paragraph says
"unless they leave us alone". Nothing wring with that.

Read the writings of Karen Armstrong

http://www.islamfortoday.com/karenarmstrong.htm

and Bernard Lewis

http://www.arab2.com/biography/bernard-lewis.htm

translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you choose.
As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed. As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.
Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to mind.
For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives. If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old February 23rd 05, 03:30 PM
Al Patrick

RJ wrote:

I do need some advice regarding some other elements
of God's Laws and how to follow them:

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A
friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not
Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

You don't even own yourself.

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think a fair price
would be for her?

If she's like her pop she's probably not worth much. Best just give her
away. :-)

3. I know that I am not allowed to contact with a woman while she is
in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev. 15:19-24) The
problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women
take offense.

You aren't supposed to ask, or know about, "most women" !

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9). The problem is, my
neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should
I smite them?

Have you been by a good steak house about 6 or 7 PM lately? You need to
take one of your neighbors out to supper with you. They'll change their
minds about the smell of char-broiled steak!

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally
obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do
it?

First you need to learn when the Sabbath begins and ends to be sure you
aren't following some tradition of men. Are you referring to Lunar
Lunacy? The Solar Sabbath? The "legal" day - midnight to midnight? Or
are you referring to the Jewish "sabbath" which they claim begins on one
day and ends on another; i.e. sundown Friday to sundown Saturday?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a less abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there
'degrees' of abomination.

There are 'degrees' of 'rewards' for both good and evil deeds.

7. Lev. 21:20 sates that I may not approach the altar of God if I
have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
glasses. Does my vision have to b e 20/20, or is there some
wiggle-room here?

You're not a priest. ... At least I surely hope you're not!

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the
hair around their temples, even though this is expressly
forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I suspect your head is already round and ALL your friends are male!
Birds of a feather flock together. Why would YOU kill YOUR friends? ;-)

9. I know from Lev. 11:-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

These laws don't apply to some people. They were for GOD'S people to
live by! Eat all the swine you like. The trichinosis is FREE!

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also
tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that
we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to
stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Could we just burn them death at a
private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with
their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

Just as the previous question. These laws were for a peculiar,
separated, chosen, holy people. I doubt they apply at all to YOU.

However, you might be surprised how much healthier and happier we'd all
be if we did NOT eat genetically engineered foods, wear clothing of
different materials or have disobedient children! Think about it!

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy
considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can
help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
unchanging.

rj

Old February 23rd 05, 03:41 PM
Simon Mason

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

However, you might be surprised how much healthier and happier we'd all be
if we did NOT eat genetically engineered foods, wear clothing of different
materials or have disobedient children! Think about it!

My granddad ate F1 hybrid tomatoes all his life and it did him no harm. My
cycling top is made of man made fibres and is far superior to cotton or wool
which just get damp, but what I really want to know is this. One of the ten
commandments says thou shall not kill.

Last week, I got an infected elbow joint which had bacteria in it. My doctor
gave me some antibiotics. Have I committed a mortal sin by killing the
bacteria?

Old February 23rd 05, 11:31 PM
Brian Oakley

"RJ" wrote in message

I do need some advice regarding some other elements
of God's Laws and how to follow them:

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A
friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not
Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor
free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think a fair price
would be for her?

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor
free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

3. I know that I am not allowed to contact with a woman while she is
in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev. 15:19-24) The
problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women
take offense.

Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery. If your wife wont tell you
then you need to go to counseling.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9). The problem is, my
neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should
I smite them?

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever
shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. Sounds
like its evil to smite someone.

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally
obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do
it?

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in
respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: He
doesnt have to observe the Shabbat the same way you do.

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a less abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there
'degrees' of abomination.

Acts 10:On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the
city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
Acts 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they
made ready, he fell into a trance,
Acts 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him,
as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the
earth:
Acts 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and
wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Acts 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing
that is common or unclean.
Acts 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath
cleansed, that call not thou common.

Romans 1:Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image
made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and
creeping things.
Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts
of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Romans 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and
served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even
their women did change the natural use into that which is against natu
Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman,
burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is
unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which
was meet.

Think about it.

7. Lev. 21:20 sates that I may not approach the altar of God if I
have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
glasses. Does my vision have to b e 20/20, or is there some
wiggle-room here?

Leviticus 21:21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest
shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fi he hath a
blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.

Are you of the seed of Aaron the priest?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the
hair around their temples, even though this is expressly
forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

Are you one of the ancient Hebrews that went into the land?

Leviticus 19:23 And when ye shall come into the land, ......

9. I know from Lev. 11:-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Yes, since footballs arent made out of pigskin.

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also
tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that
we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to
stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Could we just burn them death at a
private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with
their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said
unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at
her.

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy
considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can
help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
unchanging.

rj

Anytime.

Bible Voice B04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 13th 04 10:03 PM
Bible Voice Broadcasting A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 19th 04 11:43 PM
Bishop of Oxford writes "Gay love's fine, it's all in the Bible" The REAL Agent Smith General 0 July 1st 03 02:04 PM
Bishop of Oxford writes "Gay love's fine, it's all in the Bible" The REAL Agent Smith Scanner 0 July 1st 03 02:04 PM