Old July 19th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Slow Code wrote:
"Koikus" wrote in
oups.com:

. -.. --- -. - --. . - .. - . .. - .... . .-.

You just gave him another headache, Shame on you.

not realy I did not listen to the "transmision"

Sc

Old July 19th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Morris Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

SC,

Morris Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission
-and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?
- - - The Times They Are A Changing !

While I can admire and respect an Amateur {HAM} Radio Operator
for Mastering Morris Code (CW).

Morris Code in and of itself does not define the Amateur Radio Service.

Morris Code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission 'process' in
and of itself does not define the Amateur Radio Service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_wave

The Amateur Radio Service is Greater than both Morris Code
and Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission - IMHO ~ RHF

Boy Scout Merit Badge Requirements - "RADIO"
http://www.meritbadge.com/mb/093.htm
At one time when I was a very young boy nd a Boy Scout
I Learned to Send and Receive Morris Code at about 5WPM
-but- Then I also learned to use Flags to Send Hand-Flag
"Semaphore" Signals Too !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_(communication)
Neither the ability to use Morris Code or the Semaphone
Flags to Communicate 'defined' Being A Boy Scout.

just an old boy scout at heart ~ RHF
Old July 19th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
SC,

Morris Code

uh, it's Morse Code...after Samuel Morse who invented it

(and, of course, everyone knows Joshua T. Semaphore)
Old July 19th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

jawod wrote:

RHF wrote:

SC,

Morris Code

uh, it's Morse Code...after Samuel Morse who invented it

(and, of course, everyone knows Joshua T. Semaphore)

Actually the Code that Sam developed is completely unlike the code we
use on radio. What is tested for is the "International Morse Code"
Sam's code was click based and radio is beep based.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old July 19th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

jawod - Oops ! - You Are Right ~RHF

Old July 19th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Like your link says, it's MORSE code, as in Samuel F. B. Morse. Who's
Morris?

Scott

RHF wrote:

SC,

[...]

.
.
. .

Slow Code wrote:

(Fred McKenzie) wrote in
:

In article , "Alun L.
Palmer" wrote:

Assuming some weird contrived scenario where I had the equipment to
send CW but not phone, it would depend what frequencies it worked on.

I think this is the nature of the premise on which the original post was
based.

Compare it to a similar situation, where a film camera user is debating
a digital camera user:

"If you came upon a drowning man, and you had to choose whether to save
him or photograph his demise, what kind of film would you use?"

Getting rid of CW is like choosing the kind of film.

Ham radio is drowning and the anti-code hams want us to think tossing it
bricks will make it float better. Dumbing things down is never an
improvement.

SC

Old July 19th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

David G. Nagel wrote:
Actually the Code that Sam developed is completely unlike the code we
use on radio. What is tested for is the "International Morse Code"
Sam's code was click based and radio is beep based.

Sam's original equipment used ink and scrolling paper to
record the dots and dashes because he didn't think an
ordinary human being could distinguish between the sound
of the dots and the sound of the dashes. He was wrong.
Human operators quickly discovered that they could distinguish
the difference between the down clicks and up clicks and
therefore distinguish the dots from the dashes.

It is true that Sam's "American" Morse was different from
"International" Morse in about a dozen characters but both
used dots and dashes. Still, more characters were alike
than were different.

The term "lid" may have originated from newbie Morse operators
laying a lid on top of the relay receiver to make it easier to
distinguish the dots from the dashes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 19th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Cecil Moore wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:
Actually the Code that Sam developed is completely unlike the code we
use on radio. What is tested for is the "International Morse Code"
Sam's code was click based and radio is beep based.

Sam's original equipment used ink and scrolling paper to
record the dots and dashes because he didn't think an
ordinary human being could distinguish between the sound
of the dots and the sound of the dashes. He was wrong.
Human operators quickly discovered that they could distinguish
the difference between the down clicks and up clicks and
therefore distinguish the dots from the dashes.

oridinary humans HMM is it realy proven that ordinary human can do it
by ear Cecil or merely proven that enough to man the telagraphs of the
day could do so?

Old July 19th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

an old friend wrote:
oridinary humans HMM is it realy proven that ordinary human can do it
by ear Cecil or merely proven that enough to man the telagraphs of the
day could do so?

Please note that I didn't say ordinary human beings could read
telegraph code. All I said was that ordinary human beings could
distinguish between the sound of a dot and the sound of a dash.

I think that's a pretty safe assumption with "ordinary" in the
sense of an average human possessing average hearing abilities.
I would bet that a dog could even be trained to distinguish a
dot from a dash.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 19th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Cecil Moore wrote:
an old friend wrote:
oridinary humans HMM is it realy proven that ordinary human can do it
by ear Cecil or merely proven that enough to man the telagraphs of the
day could do so?

Please note that I didn't say ordinary human beings could read
telegraph code. All I said was that ordinary human beings could
distinguish between the sound of a dot and the sound of a dash.

I think that's a pretty safe assumption with "ordinary" in the
sense of an average human possessing average hearing abilities.
I would bet that a dog could even be trained to distinguish a
dot from a dash.

I stand corrected although the inclation was that ordinary people could
read the code itself but the poit is made I think
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp