Old August 16th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default BPL strikes another win ...

Michael Coslo wrote:

Oh, BPL will fail, either through pure technical flopping, or the
marketplace moving on. None of the arguments for it hold water. My

Could be ... these things have a way of working themselves out ... time
will tell ... I wouldn't count on it failing though. I'd count on new
technology being developed which makes it even more desirable, something
shown by history as much more likely.

JS
Old August 16th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

Your Henry and directional antenna would silence a pretty big area,
MK. QRP levels have been able to knock the signals out on occasion, and
a hundred watts in a mobile can keep a lot of people safe from porn.

Note that no intentional interference applies - all perfectly legal
Amateur radio use.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Frankly, I'd like to see it, would find the attempt(s) highly
entertaining. And, the solutions to such would just be icing on the cake!

JS
Old August 16th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith I wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:

The idea that BPL cam about in order to punish Hams who like Morse
code is a new one.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIa -

Now, there is the mindset which got us here in the first place, don't
you get it?

Hams are just NOT important enough to justify punishment, they simply
are holding onto a fraction of the public airwaves which can be placed
to much better use ... get real.

Define 'better.'
Old August 16th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

Your Henry and directional antenna would silence a pretty big area,
MK. QRP levels have been able to knock the signals out on occasion, and
a hundred watts in a mobile can keep a lot of people safe from porn.

Note that no intentional interference applies - all perfectly legal
Amateur radio use.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Of course you realize, as BPL becomes of a major importance, attempts
will be made to make the lines EMP hardened (most lines are now going
underground in this attempt, as we speak), you linears will look as a
matchstick held beside a 1,000,000 candle-power lamp--but then, you
already knew that. You are simply in the cycle of denial/acceptance ...

JS
Old August 16th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 16, 9:21 am, John Smith I wrote:

You just don't get the power of digital do you? Or, the laws which will
come ... however, confiscation of that ancient and moth ridden amp and
the fine which will be imposed will be something sane men will wish to
avoid ... I have a 5KW (never run over a calif kilo of input though :-)
)russian amp, its' last days are in sight :-(

JS

How would I get fined for pointing my antenna to Europe? It legal for
me to point my antenna to Europe, run an amp, and talk all day if
I want to.
I don't run 5 KW amps, calif kilo's, or other illegal activities as
you
admit to doing. So I would expect you to get a fine before I would.
BTW, the amp is an 81 model. Yes, fairly ancient, but it has no
moths living in it. As Mike points out, I probably wouldn't even need
it to keep BPL on hold. My amp will only do about 1400w max, so
I have no fear of breaking any power level rules.
Just my 100w radio into the yagi, aimed at Europe would probably
do the job.
I have this vision in my mind of a bunch of BPL techs jabbering
away like the guy in the movie "Cape Fear" as he's drowning
in the river.. Abadabajumbalikearedoka, aubadbababababdbaba.
LOL...Kills me to ponder the scenario..
So while you are moaning and groaning about the problem, I will
be taking care of it myself in an orderly military manner.
Any problems they have will be due to their own shoddy system
design and line leakage which is a two way street I remind..
Not my gear. So they won't have a leg to stand on if they or even
you complain to the FCC.
MK

Old August 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 16, 10:47 am, John Smith I wrote:

Well, in my neighborhood/city, you could not get into any trouble. All
lines are underground. What you cite is a moot point.

But if thats the case, they would probably not be much of an issue to
me as far as trashing my rcvr.

Except for exceeding safe rf levels, I cannot see a problem.

No worries there...

Anyway, BPL is best suited for remote areas (your neighbor is over in
the next 40 acres), the new 700Mhz would be far more suited to towns/cities.

I don't think it's very well suited there either, if using overhead
lines.
I have property in a remote area of OK. on Lake Eufaula, and of
course,
I run a station there. That's my "antenna farm"..lol..
I've got antennas strung through the trees. I'm gonna plant low band
beverages there this fall if I can gather up enough inertia and wire.
And all the power lines in that general area are overhead.
I'll make remote area BPL techs bark at the moon just as easily
there, as here in big H. And the problem would likely rear it's ugly
head quicker there, as overall the noise level is lower there vs
big H, being I'm out in the boonies. They could have that mess miles
away and I might hear it. But I have lines nearby too, as most do
out there.

Isn't the real excitement watching this new technology develop, with
solutions found "on the fly?"

Not really. I've seen so much new technology develop in the past 50
years, I think I've become uncomfortably numb. It really doesn't
excite
me too much. I'd just as soon walk around around in the woods and
see if I can count all my trees.. :/
BPL is not really new technology anyway. Seems to me Japan and
Germany already tried and ditched it as unpractical. It's been around
a while.
MK

Old August 16th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith I wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:

The idea that BPL cam about in order to punish Hams who like Morse
code is a new one.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIa -

Now, there is the mindset which got us here in the first place, don't
you get it?

Actually no, I don't. A side effect of BPL might be to harm the bands
that amateurs operate on, but I can't even imagine the people who push
this merde having a thought of inconveniencing Morse code lovers.

Hams are just NOT important enough to justify punishment, they simply
are holding onto a fraction of the public airwaves which can be placed
to much better use ... get real.

HF is an unruly beast, and not well suited to any kind of distance
limiting needs. Years ago there were wireless home phones around 11
meters. They didn't work too well. A large part of that was HF type
problems of static, big antennas and propagation effects.

Anyone who wants to work in HF, especially digitally, will have to
reckon with those effects. The political types who promote use of HF for
this seldom understand that.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old August 16th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

Anyone who wants to work in HF, especially digitally, will have to
reckon with those effects. The political types who promote use of HF for
this seldom understand that.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Actually, no, not everyone has to study HF to see if your argument holds
water or not.

YOU just need to see a BPL modem at work--it'll blow away any doubts you
may have as to it being suited to HS data xfer over power-lines ...

JS

Elmer strikes again Ken G. Radio Photos 9 July 24th 07 04:28 AM
Question About US Strikes In Somalia Telstar Electronics CB 0 January 11th 07 12:08 AM
Tri-Faced Robesin Strikes Out Again [email protected] Policy 2 December 25th 06 02:28 PM
Roger strikes again Lloyd II General 0 December 17th 05 05:55 AM
The Uncle strikes again! Scott in Baltimore CB 17 September 17th 05 04:26 PM