Old June 20th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default When will we get rid of this (RF JUNK)??

Channel 2 stations are supposed to have stopped transmitting , in
analog, and gone to Digital-
So WHY is Channel 2 (with NO call sign I have heard) STILL transmitting
, Analog, in Reno ,
NV, with a 24/7 informercial, on how to convert to Digital ???
When, o when, will Channel 2 Finally DISAPPEAR from the spectrum (in
Reno)?? How many MORE
areas are still broadcasting analog , in violation of the Digital
Conversion ?
Inquiring minds want to know! :-( Jim NN7K
Old June 20th 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim-NN7K . wrote:
Channel 2 stations are supposed to have stopped transmitting , in
analog, and gone to Digital-
So WHY is Channel 2 (with NO call sign I have heard) STILL transmitting
, Analog, in Reno ,
NV, with a 24/7 informercial, on how to convert to Digital ???
When, o when, will Channel 2 Finally DISAPPEAR from the spectrum (in
Reno)?? How many MORE
areas are still broadcasting analog , in violation of the Digital
Conversion ?
Inquiring minds want to know! :-( Jim NN7K

The requirement was to cease high power broadcasting in analog, not
cease broadcasting in analog.

In the LA area there are still 7 stations running the conversion
infomercial in low power analog.

RF channel 2 is not slated to disappear, it just won't be used by
as many stations as before.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 20th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:45:02 GMT, wrote:

Jim-NN7K . wrote:
Channel 2 stations are supposed to have stopped transmitting , in
analog, and gone to Digital-
So WHY is Channel 2 (with NO call sign I have heard) STILL transmitting
, Analog, in Reno ,
NV, with a 24/7 informercial, on how to convert to Digital ???
When, o when, will Channel 2 Finally DISAPPEAR from the spectrum (in
Reno)?? How many MORE
areas are still broadcasting analog , in violation of the Digital
Conversion ?
Inquiring minds want to know! :-( Jim NN7K

The requirement was to cease high power broadcasting in analog, not
cease broadcasting in analog.

In the LA area there are still 7 stations running the conversion
infomercial in low power analog.

RF channel 2 is not slated to disappear, it just won't be used by
as many stations as before.

While that is true, I don't think it answers his question. The FCC
created a "nightlight" program where one station in each market is
keeping their analog transmitter going for a while to help those
caught by the transition. As the OP stated, they are airing a DTV
infomercial in English and Spanish until the real end in a few weeks.
WKYC in Cleveland's analog signal will remain on until June 26th. I
will guess the Reno station is doing something similar.
Old June 20th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:14:52 -0700, Jim-NN7K .
wrote:

Channel 2 stations are supposed to have stopped transmitting , in
analog, and gone to Digital-
So WHY is Channel 2 (with NO call sign I have heard) STILL transmitting
, Analog, in Reno ,
NV, with a 24/7 informercial, on how to convert to Digital ???
When, o when, will Channel 2 Finally DISAPPEAR from the spectrum (in
Reno)?? How many MORE
areas are still broadcasting analog , in violation of the Digital
Conversion ?
Inquiring minds want to know! :-( Jim NN7K

Soory if this is a duplicate... I sent a similar response a few
minutes ago that showed up as no longer available. I'm not sure what
that means.

Anyway, that station is probably part of the FCC's nightlight program.
It will go off around the end of June. ...Pat N8CQV
Old June 20th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:39:04 -0400, wrote:

Soory if this is a duplicate... I sent a similar response a few
minutes ago that showed up as no longer available. I'm not sure what
that means.

This time, both replies were there. I must have caught my earlier
message when my news server had just the header but not the whole
message yet. I need to learn patience ... and how to spell sorry.
....Pat

Old June 20th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks, all- got similar from vhf cluster- apparently this will
be on the air for 30 days after the cutover -just about the time
6 meter Es Season is over (sigh)! Other cities in top 100 market
also have at least one station running this "Nitelite" infomercial
Oh well, hope it gets quieter on six , in couple more weeks-
Jim NN7K

Old June 20th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:39:04 -0400, wrote:

Soory if this is a duplicate... * I sent a similar response a few
minutes ago that showed up as no longer available. *I'm not sure what
that means.

This time, both replies were there. *I must have caught my earlier
message when my news server had just the header *but not the whole
message yet. *I need to learn patience ... and how to spell sorry.
...Pat

Hi, Jim.
Didn't look up your QTH, but there is another possible answer.

I live in Central Oregon. We don't have a house TV connected to an
antenna, I went out to the 5th wheel trailer yesterday to see what
analog TV was still available to us and discovered more than a dozen
were still on the air. They were all signals from either repeaters or
translators located on a mountain to the East of us. The FCC did not
require any repeaters/translators to go to digital. So some of the
signals you are noticing may be from this source.

None of the analog TV signals I found were on VHF, however.

Paul, KD7HB
Old June 20th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Jim NN7K:

In this area, Channel 25 continues to inform those who have yet to convert.

The station in your area that is performing the same service on channel 2
must be KTVN with an analog station some 39 km from you (and digital signal
on channel 13 some 33 km from you).

I note that by next month, as many as 12 digital stations might remain on
channel 2 in the US. FCC records are not clear, but it is expected that the
actual number will be smaller. What is clear is that many, many mostly low
power TV stations will continue to use channel 2. Within 200 km of you, a 4
watt station at 163km (165 degrees) and a 3 kw station at 169 km (284
degrees) are expected to continue.

It has been a mystery why any TV stations will continue to transmit on
channels 2-6 and above 51.

73, Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Old June 20th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:45:02 GMT,
wrote:

Jim-NN7K . wrote:
[...]

Like I said, in LA there are 7 stations doing it, not 1, and they are all
running low power.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 20th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Paul , translators didn't have to move, or change to digital

I am just north of Reno, NV, and tho never could get good pix
from local stations (and still can't get the digi's, the HIGH
power Channel 2 transmitter (I thought) would be off the air,
on the digi conversion day-- Wrong! It is the digi cutover info
channel here, now in Reno. Someone forwarded me a list of the
Channel 2 Transmitters "Nitelighted" And there may be another
not shown, (Detroit?)

http://www.wtfda.org/images/stories/NLch2.JPG

Reason I asked, since 6 Meters is next to Channel 2, and even
with the Vestigial band filter, on channel 2, there is considerable
signal leakage in 6 meters, from this station - noise that should
dissappear after it is finally off the air.

Thanks for comments- Jim NN7K

Junk all Steveo CB 0 August 4th 06 02:18 AM
Has anyone ever seen/used one of these hunks of junk ??? starman Shortwave 0 August 5th 04 09:29 AM
Still looking for junk TS-430 Michael Brandt Swap 0 July 21st 04 07:01 PM
Junk Junk Patrick769 Shortwave 3 May 14th 04 03:37 AM
Still looking for junk TS-830 and TS-430 Michael Brandt Swap 0 November 27th 03 05:56 PM