Old July 7th 05, 02:37 AM
Ron Hardin

Default WDLT 660 Mobile AL daytime power early?

WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
which is over an hour away.

Coming in over WFAN 660 NYC.

I suspect they're on daytime power and pattern (10kw) but don't
know how to check it.
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 7th 05, 04:42 AM
Robert J Carpenter

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
which is over an hour away.

They may very well have special permission given that tropical storm
Cindy is in their area.

Next Monday they will have hurricane Dennis.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...211359W_sm.gif

Old July 7th 05, 09:31 PM
David Eduardo

"Robert J Carpenter" wrote in message

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
which is over an hour away.

They may very well have special permission given that tropical storm
Cindy is in their area.

You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of emergency.

Old July 8th 05, 01:43 AM
Ron Hardin

David Eduardo wrote:

"Robert J Carpenter" wrote in message
..

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
..
WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
which is over an hour away.

They may very well have special permission given that tropical storm
Cindy is in their area.

You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of emergency.

They were still there this morning (Thurs 7/7) broadcasting emergency blues,
if so.

I'd suspect that one of their antennas is out of spec, eliminating
a required null to the north.

--
Ron Hardin

Old July 8th 05, 01:43 AM
Robert J Carpenter

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
which is over an hour away.

They may very well have special permission given that tropical

storm
Cindy is in their area.

You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of

emergency.

In other words the permission is blanket, not "special".

Old July 9th 05, 11:14 PM
Bob Haberkost

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

| "Robert J Carpenter" wrote in message

| "Ron Hardin" wrote in message
| WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
| they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
| map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
| which is over an hour away.

| They may very well have special permission given that tropical storm
| Cindy is in their area.

| You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of emergency.

No, but the emergency has to have been officially declared to do so,
doesn't it? Which is not to say that it wasn't, but it seems to me Cindy
was hundreds of miles off the coast when Ron posted this, and thus Mobile
wasn't yet in a declared emergency.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-
..

Old July 10th 05, 02:42 AM
Mike Ward

On 8 Jul 2005 00:43:32 GMT, "Robert J Carpenter"
wrote:

You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of

emergency.

In other words the permission is blanket, not "special".

As I understand it, in times of emergency, a station can use its
better (daytime, etc.) facilities at any time...they just have to
notify the FCC after the fact.

Maybe blocking Don Imus' show is an emergency.

Old July 10th 05, 07:00 AM
David Eduardo

"Bob Haberkost" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

| "Robert J Carpenter" wrote in message

| "Ron Hardin" wrote in message
| WDLT 660 Mobile is booming in in Central Ohio at 5:45 EDST;
| they have no appreciable radiation northwards, according to the
| map, and 850w nights as well, and their local sunrise is 5am CST,
| which is over an hour away.

| They may very well have special permission given that tropical storm
| Cindy is in their area.

| You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of
emergency.

No, but the emergency has to have been officially declared to do so,
doesn't it?

No. Stations that are sudden storm or eartqhake zones, or where industrial
accidents have happened to cite examples, can use discretion. Many of these
are never declared emergencies (like the Nortridge quake in 1994)

Which is not to say that it wasn't, but it seems to me Cindy
was hundreds of miles off the coast when Ron posted this, and thus Mobile
wasn't yet in a declared emergency.

I've been in a half dozen major hurricanes in Puerto Rico, and, while always
at stations that had same day and night facilities, know preparations for
them begin 48 to 72 hours in advance. A strike threat would be enough to go
to the best mode of operation possible.

Old July 10th 05, 07:00 AM
Mike Ward

On 9 Jul 2005 22:14:16 GMT, "Bob Haberkost"
wrote:

| You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of emergency.

No, but the emergency has to have been officially declared to do so,
doesn't it? Which is not to say that it wasn't, but it seems to me Cindy
was hundreds of miles off the coast when Ron posted this, and thus Mobile
wasn't yet in a declared emergency.

And, as I type this, Dennis is just hours away from landfall pretty
much right in the middle of the Mobile market.

Of course, this station will likely not turn the power down early
Monday morning, thus depriving Ron of his desperately-needed Imus
fix...maybe he can squeeze a signal out of WFNR/710 Blacksburg VA, or
one of the other Imus affiliates he tries to get through the static...

Old July 10th 05, 07:00 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Bob Haberkost wrote:
| You do not need permission to use better facilities in time of emergency.

No, but the emergency has to have been officially declared to do so,
doesn't it? Which is not to say that it wasn't, but it seems to me Cindy

Not the way I read 73.1250.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66