Old February 6th 04, 04:21 AM
Landshark

"jim" wrote in message

BILL wrote:
THIS IS MY STORY- THERE ARE MANY MORE, JUST SEARCH THE INTERNET
GROUPS!!!!!

The following is a copy of a product return report I sent to copper.

To who it may concern,
This amp was delivered to me on Jan. 9 2004, cod by ups. I hooked it
up properly to my Cobra 142gtl base and let it set at room temp to
allow it to warm up some as it came off the truck very cold. I used it
on AM for approx 15 min with no problems. I switched both amp and
radio to sb and spoke to a friend for a short time,no problems. I
keyed the mic again and before speaking the amp made a pop noise and I
noticed smoke comming out of the top vent. I shut unit off and put it
right back in the box that it arrived in. My radio was bought new by
me, and has never had any mods or so called golden screw drivers in
it. I believe the radio comes from the factory in good working order
and does not require any "fixing to operate properly, thus longer life
radio parts from undue stress. This radio does 4-5 watts on am and a
max of 12(with screem in mic) on sb. I use a stock cobra mic and a
solarcon antenna. These facts I have stated I swear to. I believe the
proper thing to do is exchange this unit for a new working one as I
believe the unit sent was defective. This would be the proper thing to
do rather than have the customer wait on repairs, parts or ect. If I
must wait then so be it. Thanks you, William D-n-v-n

Mr. D-n-v-n,
We received your amp back from our repair shop and they said that you
overdrove the
unit and blew it up. The repair bill will be $102.00. Let me know what
you want to do.
Thanks
Suzanne

YOU BE THE JUDGE OF ALL THIS_

before you bought the amp did you do any research to find out what
coppers warranty was?

I didn't think Coppers sold amps.

Landshark

--
The world is good-natured to people
who are good natured.

Old February 6th 04, 02:36 PM
Twistedhed

User error. You overdrove your amp. Your dead key should have been
lower.

The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong

Old February 6th 04, 02:46 PM
Twistedhed

Jim@Optonline wrote:

buyer beware obviously but driving an amp

with 4 watts stock and it fries?

Yea,,that's odd.

if that is true

then copper should make the caveat that only
low power is needed which brings up another

scenario where the operator has to turn it

down. what a mess that would bring...

Many amps say "X-amount of watts out with 3 or 4 watts in." Additional
watts, even one, = user error, NOT more power. You need admit, the
majority of repairs on many fiddled with radios and amps arrive that
state via user error and/or ignorance. The radio and amp need "married"
to each other in a most perect union. This obviously was not done. In
many, many cases of such amp use, a lower dead key on the radio
(necessitating an adjustment to the output) is not only desirable, but
necessary. Chances are he overdrove it.

Old February 6th 04, 02:50 PM
Twistedhed

James@opton-lion wrote:
you know better than me on the used gear as i
never go with that. never tried their web site.

used consumerreports today to pick up a

portable cd/mp3 player and a wifi system..

Those Wi-Fi's are out of hand here. You can inadvertantly land on
another's lan and the signals can be overwhelming because of
overcrowdedness,,at times, there are some six to nine networks
available, some will drop out, and at other times, none are available.
Reliability sucks because of the overabundance and interference with
each other's signals here. Infancy stage......

..

Old February 6th 04, 03:06 PM
Twistedhed

Group: rec.radio.cb Date: Thu, Feb 5, 2004, 10:05pm From:
Moparholic@hotmail-no spam-.com (Steveo)
"MrTimNebo" wrote in message
nebo builts are all high drives. 50 watts pep is fine into all of my
units. dont try that with a skywave!

Is that a Nebo built?

Does gw run Nebo built?
_

Which GW? The one in Houston,,,,,,NO.,,but I sure have been ****ing off
the San Antonio GW by jumping in his receive and not leaving until I'm
good and ready......which occurs aftre making three tags in a
row....three is da' magic number...one for each coordinate from my
position.

Old February 6th 04, 03:10 PM
Twistedhed

My little buddy Frank Gilliland wrote:
What sympathy? Call 1-800-BOO-HOOO.

Need legal advice? Don't buy illegal amps.

How about a technical opinion? Most "linear"

amps are rated for peak power (PEP) for both

input and output. That means if it's rated for 4

watts input, don't feed it any more than 1 watt

RMS on AM or 4 watts PEP on SSB. If it's

rated for 100 watts PEP output, that means

you shouldn't run it any higher than 25 watts

out on AM. If that's the case then you probably
did overdrive it. You could also have some

grounding issues, or a mismatch between the

radio and the amp. And here's some more

advice: Learn what you are doing so you don't

get burned in the future.

Mopar is right. Hell froze over. It must be one brutal freakin' winter
up yonder. Frank displayed a clarity above not seen since his better
days.

The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong

FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
Shielding Question Mike Coslo Antenna 12 February 14th 04 01:10 PM
chuckie blast from the past version 3..... gw CB 0 November 9th 03 02:05 AM
NCI filed Petition for Rulemaking Aug. 13 Carl R. Stevenson Policy 74 August 25th 03 01:18 AM