Old January 14th 05, 07:40 PM

On 14 Jan 2005 14:40:43 GMT, Steveo wrote:

I think Mrs. Enzo will get ****ed. Hiding it out in the trees would be great.
Plus I don't know if there are any local ordinances regarding a mast.

Frank presented another problem. The damn Ground hogs, moles, squirrels, will
eat my coax.

Vinnie S.

Vinnie, Frank, pay attention. He is going to do a buried 150 ft coax
run to the tree, right? What's the velocity factor of RG8 or of the
coax he will use? Do the math, how much of his 4w out will reach the
antenna? He claims he isnt gonna keyclown, but I think he's lying.

Old January 14th 05, 08:38 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:21:36 GMT, wrote in
:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:18:49 GMT,
wrote in
:

snip
Vinnie, don't use a tuner if you don't know WTF you're doing,

The guy want's the most bang for his buck, and he can do that with an
antenna tuner. It will probably cost him a whole $20 and it doesn't
take a college degree to operate -- jeez, it's only three knobs. And
even if you don't know what you are doing you can usually fiddle with
it long enough to tune in a good match to just about anything, even a
bed spring.

you'll be constantly throwing carriers yelling AAUDDIOO whistling
into the mike trying to get 1:1, a real pain in the ass
for anyone trying to use the CB in your area. Forget about radials
in the attic, you'll screw it up, stop trying to get cute, JUST BUY A
NORMAL CB ANTENNA AND PUT IT OUTSIDE, YOU F-ING MAROON.

If you get that upset about such a trivial issue then maybe you should
look for a stress management support group in your area.

Antenna tuner loading his rain gutters? Chances are
good he'll be into all the electronic devices in his house.

That's a crock of **** and you know it.

Yeah, but it's only a partial crock of ****. The rain gutters or wire or
whatever are only half the dipole so the house wiring will become
the other active half and they will radiate. He grounds his tuner to
a ground rod, but also his coax to the radio will tie him in to the
service ground of the residence.

Old January 14th 05, 09:47 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:38:04 GMT, wrote in
:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:21:36 GMT,
wrote in
:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:18:49 GMT,
wrote in
:

[...]

It's not a dipole or even half of a dipole. It's just an untuned hunk
of metal, hence the need for a tuner. And a tuner doesn't turn it into
a hertzian dipole -- it just sets up a resonance so RF current can
flow and therefore radiate.

so the house wiring will become
the other active half and they will radiate.

So what's the problem?

He grounds his tuner to
a ground rod, but also his coax to the radio will tie him in to the
service ground of the residence.

And your point is.....?

Old January 14th 05, 09:56 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:34:09 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

snip
If I use a Firestik, which are usually top-loaded, and connect it to some 9 ft.
piping that I can use as radials (in a crossing pattern), and ground them to a
grounding rod, would that work?

Why pipe? Just run a whole bunch of wires radiating from the base.
Make them as long as possible and don't worry about any specific
length -- it's even better if they are different lengths (which will
be the case unless your house is round). Simply cover your attic floor
with radials.

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew up the
coax?

If you leave them on or under the ground, yep.

I guess I am going to have PVC conduit the coax then. I don't have a choice.

I wouldn't even mess with running a coax out that far. It's just not
worth the effort. You would be better off using what you have around
the house. Got a flagpole?

Old January 14th 05, 10:40 PM
Vinnie S.

wrote in :

snip
If I use a Firestik, which are usually top-loaded, and connect it to some 9 ft.
piping that I can use as radials (in a crossing pattern), and ground them to a
grounding rod, would that work?

Why pipe? Just run a whole bunch of wires radiating from the base.
Make them as long as possible and don't worry about any specific
length -- it's even better if they are different lengths (which will
be the case unless your house is round). Simply cover your attic floor
with radials.

If the wire will work just as good, I wil do that.

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew up the
coax?

If you leave them on or under the ground, yep.

I guess I am going to have PVC conduit the coax then. I don't have a choice.

I wouldn't even mess with running a coax out that far. It's just not
worth the effort. You would be better off using what you have around
the house. Got a flagpole?

No. And I can't put one in front of my house, because the septic drain field is
there.

Vinnie S.