Old January 15th 05, 05:23 PM
Steveo

Lancer wrote:
On 15 Jan 2005 16:55:26 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:
On 15 Jan 2005 15:48:00 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:24:20 GMT, Lancer wrote:
Maybe we should go over there and build one for him?

Judging the posts by you 3, no thanks.

Let's put this up, Mr Enzo!

http://www.qsl.net/k7hg/Images/antenna.jpg

I can build a house around those.

Vinnie S.

Just call the house your shack..invite the neighbors over for a beer and
an x-ray!

That used to really **** my mom off when I called my radio/bedroom my
shack..

Hey it kept you off the streets..could have been worse!
Old January 16th 05, 07:55 PM

On 15 Jan 2005 16:43:21 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

Lancer wrote:
On 15 Jan 2005 16:32:58 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

Lancer wrote:
Seen Fat Albert yet?

No, but I liked that toon when I was a youngin'.

You would like the movie then... its based on the cartoon show..

Hey Hey Hey!! Who plays FA?

Kenan Thompson, never heard of him before.. He does a good job..

Its a trip through Cosby's gang getting old...

Come on guys, can we get this thread at least up to 100
replies, we are so close now. How about if Steveo you reply
with an insult and a threat to come and beat me up or some
other of that thing that you do LOL

Old January 17th 05, 10:12 PM
Leigh Marrin/KM6JE

Vinnie S. wrote:
Hi. If I want to talk abrefoot and run a dipole for 27 MHz in my attic, I
noticed there are numerous versions. The vertical is out for obvious reasons. So
there are inverted and horizontal. Is there any version I am better off using
barefoot?

Vinnie, I've had a lot of fun using various wire antennas on CB.
Horizontally polarized antennas don't do very well for local talkin' to
vertically polarized stations, especially on AM. AMers love strong "big
strapper" signals. However, a horizontal wire dipole will work fine in a
more effecient mode like SSB.

I understand you want a low profile antenna: you might try making a 1/4
wave groundplane on your roof. Buy a 102" whip and mounting bracket from
Radio Shack, hose-clamp the mounting bracket on a roof vent pipe, then
attach two or more slightly longer radials (maybe 106"), attach them to
the outside of the mounting bracket. Just lay the radials on the roof,
and perhaps thumbtack them when you've got the antenna tuned.

You can tune this 1/4 wave groundplane by trimming or lengthing the
radials: shortening a radial will cause the resonant frequency to go up.
Also, changing the angle of the radials will slightly affect SWR.

I've also used long wire antennas on CB: again, they usually end up being
horizontally polarized. For my current HF ham station (covering
10/15/20/40/80) meters, I use a 50' wire tied to a tree, a 8 foot ground
rod about 6 feet away from my radio, and a small/cheap MFJ tuner. Works
great for CW on those 5 bands, although on 20 meters I sometimes get some
RF "bites" when trying to tune on 20 meters/14mhz. On SSB, I usually can
get good signal reports on 40 meters, and SSB reception reports on other
bands are not quite so good, although the other operators can at least
usually hear me.

When I hook my Uniden PC-122 CB up to this long wire antenna, it works OK
for local SSB use, but on AM, I'm "mud-duckin'"..

A couple of times I've set up "stealth" ham and CB stations from motel
rooms when traveling. I'd ask for a second story room: at night I'd take
a roll of 24 gauge wire with a weighted end got up as much wire as I
could, and then for a ground for the tuner, I'd lay about 30 feet of wire
on the floor of my motel room. (When expecting maid service, I'd coil up
the inside wire.)

(Note that the above suggestion will cause much interference to
phones/TVs/etc.)

One last suggestion: I'd avoid antenna tuners from CB sources, as a
"Pyramid" brand tuner I had was terible. MFJ makes several tuners in the
$30 to $50 range that will tune both long wire and coaxial antennas.
While MFJ products typically have a very flimsy feel them, they are almost
always excellent designs that work well.

You might also want to check ARRL antennas books in the local library: I
had a lot of fun making and using a vertically-polarized and
vertically-mounted full-loop on CB. My loop used about 37 feet of wire,
with one end soldered to the coax shield and the other end soldered to the
coax center conducter.

In any event, HAVE FUN! If your antenna works, you can be proud of your
handiwork, as most of us CBers and Ham-bones are nuthin' but "appliance
operators".

73 and all them other good numbers to ya. --Leigh Marrin/KM6JE in Santa
Barbara, Calif.

Old January 18th 05, 04:35 AM
Steveo

VINNIE,YOU'RE A ****ING IDIOT.
NOW COME OVER HERE, AND **** ME UP THE ASS.
"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:24:21 -0800, Frank Gilliland

wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:09:37 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 01:45:00 GMT, Lancer wrote:

Barefoot or not, an attic is probably the worst place to put an
antenna. You have all kinds of possible problems, not the least of
which is house wiring or foil-backed insulation that can cause
reflections (high SWR).

There is also the issue of polarity. Almost all mobile CB antennas are
vertical so don't expect strong signals from a horizontal antenna, or
even an inverted-V which is largely horizontal. You might get some
skip but that depends a lot on the position of the antenna -- you
might have to rotate your house to align yourself with the traffic.

I would think your best solution is to buy a cheap antenna tuner and
load up the flag pole, rain gutter, drip-strip, sewer vent, aluminum
siding, chain-link fence, steel shed..... whatever works best.

Vinnie;
You said you lived on a ranch? Use Franks tuner idea, run a wire
out the window and tie the other end to a fence post, your wifes
clothes line pole or anything else above eye level.

I don't have a clothesline. I am thinking about running it vertical up a
tree,
but would have to trench the coax.

You wouldn't even need coax. Just hook the tuner right to the radio,
ground the radio, and run a single wire out the wall (through an
insulator) to any large metal object you can find, attached to your
house or not. I like metal drip-strips because they circle the entire
roof and make dandy antennas for quick-n-dirty installations.

The problem with a horizontal dipole, as I mentioned before, is the
polarity of the antenna. Most CB antennas are vertical, and if your's
is horizontal you won't hear very many people and they won't hear you.

So if you are determined to use the attic, find the tallest mobile
antenna that will fit straight up in your attic and bolt it to the
floor. Then make a ground plane by running many wires out in every
direction, and as far as you have the space (or wire). Connect the
antenna to the center of the coax, and the ground plane to the shield.
If everything goes well your SWR should be around 1.5:1 to 2:1, which
is fine because you won't be able to get it any lower without losing
signal.

If I use a Firestik, which are usually top-loaded, and connect it to some
9 ft.
piping that I can use as radials (in a crossing pattern), and ground them
to a
grounding rod, would that work?

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew
up the
coax?

If you leave them on or under the ground, yep.

I guess I am going to have PVC conduit the coax then. I don't have a
choice.

Vinnie S.

I use Davis RF bury-Flex, No critters chewing on it yet! And I gots lots
of critters This goes to an Imax2000

http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm#buryflex

I have a standard run (not buried) of RG213 going to a dipole in the
trees, still no knawing, been there for a year.

Chad

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old January 18th 05, 04:39 AM
Steveo

"Steveo" wrote:
VINNIE,YOU'RE A ****ING IDIOT.
NOW COME OVER HERE, AND **** ME UP THE ASS.

Be nice to Enzo. What size cement shoe do you reqire?