Old April 25th 05, 09:48 PM
John Smith

Lancer:

I only wish you were correct. Hams are a tight-knit group which looks down
on all other radio-users, with the possible exception of gov't.

Get to know some hams in your area, I think you will find a common "control
freak" nature amongst them. If even another ham suggests possible changes
to their ancient methods they "black ball" him/her.

Most of all their activities center around a "good ole boys rationale." You
have to meet and participate with them to see just how deep this runs...

Get your ham license!!! But, play along with them, make it a mission to
study and learn about them... I think you will be back to freeband/"Chicken
Band", but you will have a greater appreciation of radio on these bands!

Regards,
John

"Lancer" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:51:39 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

I consider the upper freeband to be from 25Mhz to 30Mhz... at least, I
have
heard freebanders all across that 5Mhz bandwidth...

Regards,
John

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of hams that don't even know
what "freeband" is. If freebanders stay off 10 meters, most hams
wouldn't even care..

Old April 25th 05, 11:01 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:41:53 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

I as I said, exercise your free speech as you choose...
If you come up with anything intelligent/interesting--I'll be here...

Assuming you could recognize "anything intelligent/interesting", why
should I care if you are here or not?

Old April 25th 05, 11:52 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:48:23 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Lancer:

I only wish you were correct. Hams are a tight-knit group which looks down
on all other radio-users, with the possible exception of gov't.

Get to know some hams in your area, I think you will find a common "control
freak" nature amongst them. If even another ham suggests possible changes
to their ancient methods they "black ball" him/her.

Most of all their activities center around a "good ole boys rationale." You
have to meet and participate with them to see just how deep this runs...

Some hams are just as you described, and need to be reminded on
occasion that they are, by definition, amateurs. But some hams don't
have that holier-than-thou attitude and are quite content belonging to
the human race. Lance fits better into the "human" category.

Get your ham license!!! But, play along with them, make it a mission to
study and learn about them... I think you will be back to freeband/"Chicken
Band", but you will have a greater appreciation of radio on these bands!

Probably true, assuming the person's interest in radio is narrow
enough to fall within the limitations of the CB and/or the freeloader
band.

Old April 26th 05, 12:01 AM
Steveo

Lancer wrote:
I thought freeband was from 26.000 MHz up to channel 1, 26.965

MHz, and from above channel 40, 27.405 MHz, to the edge of the 10
Meter ham band, 28.000 MHz.

What does that have to do with Ham radio spectrum use?

Quit doing so much thinking, you're going to hurt yourself...

That's right, Lancer. Although I'd suggest a little caution going
down the basement steps... 27.4 to 27.9 is worry free.
Old April 26th 05, 12:20 AM
Steveo

wrote:

I consider the upper freeband to be from 25Mhz to 30Mhz... at least, I
have heard freebanders all across that 5Mhz bandwidth...

Regards,
John

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of hams that don't even know
what "freeband" is. If freebanders stay off 10 meters, most hams
wouldn't even care..

Amen and hallelujah!

Old April 26th 05, 12:22 AM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
Probably true, assuming the person's interest in radio is narrow

enough to fall within the limitations of the CB and/or the freeloader
band.

Pass the bar rag, Frank. I have some clean up to do.
Old April 26th 05, 12:23 AM
John Smith

Probably true, assuming the person's interest in radio is narrow
enough to fall within the limitations of the CB and/or the freeloader
band.

Hey! You aren't one of those hams which needs a three-day observation, are
ya?

What limitations do the freebanders suffer (other than danger of being
caught and prosecution?)

Or, are you claiming they can't read?

Stay coherent here!!!

Regards,
John

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old April 26th 05, 12:26 AM
Frank Gilliland

On 25 Apr 2005 23:22:15 GMT, Steveo wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote:
Probably true, assuming the person's interest in radio is narrow

enough to fall within the limitations of the CB and/or the freeloader
band.

Pass the bar rag, Frank. I have some clean up to do.

Spontaneous vomiting? or did you just spill your milk?

Old April 26th 05, 12:29 AM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
Probably true, assuming the person's interest in radio is narrow
enough to fall within the limitations of the CB and/or the freeloader
band.

Pass the bar rag, Frank. I have some clean up to do.

Spontaneous vomiting? or did you just spill your milk?

None of those. I'm pondering faking a trip with mapquest.
Old April 26th 05, 12:31 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:23:36 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Probably true, assuming the person's interest in radio is narrow
enough to fall within the limitations of the CB and/or the freeloader
band.

Hey! You aren't one of those hams which needs a three-day observation, are
ya?

I don't think so. I would have to get a license first, wouldn't I?

What limitations do the freebanders suffer (other than danger of being
caught and prosecution?)

Ever work EME on the CB/FB? Sat-comm? RACES?

Or, are you claiming they can't read?

Stay coherent here!!!

Speaking of coherent, ever work CCW on the CB/FB?