Old December 25th 03, 07:56 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Roger Gt" wrote:

(snip) They did not occur at return points
for the military, but at schools when the
Vets would enroll and attend, and
sometimes in other groups when some
one identified a member of the military in
the immediate area. (snip)

Sorry, I don't buy that either. I've been a veteran for 30 years and my
wife is a disabled veteran. We've attended school with many veterans, attend
veterans events throughout each year, and both have been members of veterans
organizations for at least the last 20 years. Throughout all that, we've
never met a veteran yet who has said he or she personally was spit on or
attacked. Instead, these claims most often come from those who were not
directly involved with the military at the time, and almost always involve a
third party ("I knew a guy who said..."). This is the stuff myths, not
facts, are made of.

(snip) I saw myself, watched repeated
and got involved in breaking up a few
or the attacks! The worst one was when
a gang of about fifty demonstrators tried
to prevent an ex Marine from going to class
because the demonstration was "shutting
down" the school.. It was only heated
discussion, until some jackass decided
that since the Jar-Head wouldn't do what
they told him they would restrain him. He
was gentle, no fatalities, fifteen taken for
medical attention. NEVER JUMP a
mud Marine! The crowd scattered when
he started breaking bones. (snip)

When and where was this? A violent incident like that (fifteen injured,
broken bones, and so on) should easily be verifiable through newspaper
accounts of the time.

My brother told me that while he was flying
home (civilian air lines) he encountered
people who spit on him. (snip)

Really? Which civilian airlines flew into the Vietnam war zone? Which
airlines allowed passengers to spit on other passengers?

Never jump to conclusions without all
the facts. There may be nothing there
to land on. The theory that China would
have joined the war was never a factor,
except in the eyes of the peaceniks since
the Chinese WERE FINANCING the
war!!! (snip)

The possibility of China openingly joining the conflict was a major factor
in decision making of the time. China was obviously supporting the North
Vietnamese, but that is vastly different from what I said ("an esculation of
the conflict would have caused China to *openly join* the conflict"). An
open conflict with China would have led to several million Chinese soldiers
flooding into Vietnam to fight our soldiers directly, and may have even led
to nuclear warfare between China and the USA. Only a darn fool would have
ignored that possibility (yet some military leaders did actually want to
ignore the possibility - our civilian government was wise enough not to).

BUT civilian politicos are not Generals,
lacking the training and skills required
in warfare, and often have wrong
headed motivations. (snip)

BUT interference by non military
government personal was a major factor
in the length of the conflict and the level
of losses we sustained.

And Generals lack the knowledge and skills to judge the wider political
implications of a conflict. They also don't have a mandate from the people
of this country, a Constitutional mandate, to make decisions that could
impact all Americans. The elected President is Commander in Chief of the
military and I expect that Commander to command and the soldiers (including
Generals) to obey. Anyone who has a problem with that should consider
relocating to a country controlled by a military - this country and it's
military is controlled by an elected civilian government.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 25th 03, 09:26 PM
Roger Gt

Sorry, this can go no further, you CHOSE not to believe
anything you like, but I was there at the incidents described.
Perhaps it was a local phenomena, we were told otherwise.
The Media would cover Demonstrations, but never showed
the violence! I believe many demonstrations were staged! (Phony)

Your opinions are yours to hold dear.
My memories are painful reminders that it is not a perfect world.

I did not say My brother was on a civilian airline in a war zone.
That was your error!
It happened when he boarded a flight at SFO on his way to PHX!
BTW: He doesn't talk about it with strangers either, not knowing
what to expect as a reaction. You clearly have a difficulty
understanding what I have written, probably due to the wide gulf
between our experiences. I understand.

I do not have an obligation to explain or convince you.
Also I do not care to burst your bubble.
Or to break your rose colored glasses. So I will not continue,
didn't meant to get sucked into this line of discussion anyway.
The direction this has taken is not in the topic of the radio group,
and I am leaving the group since it has produced nothing of value
or interest to me.

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Roger Gt" wrote:

(snip) They did not occur at return points
for the military, but at schools when the
Vets would enroll and attend, and
sometimes in other groups when some
one identified a member of the military in
the immediate area. (snip)

Sorry, I don't buy that either.

snip
I've been a veteran for 30 years

And your experience is all you know. I Understand!
That is my perspective as well!

Throughout all that, we've
never met a veteran yet who has said he or she personally was spit on or
attacked. Instead, these claims most often come from those who were not
directly involved with the military at the time, and almost always involve

third party ("I knew a guy who said..."). This is the stuff myths, not
facts, are made of.

I suppose we have never met, at least in person.
I was in the reserves, working in military related work, and witnessed the
events personally.
BTW: Myth = one definition, an old story where the origin is not known....
like the Bible! (No author credited)

(snip) I saw myself, watched repeated
and got involved in breaking up a few
of the attacks! The worst one was when
a gang of about fifty demonstrators tried
to prevent an ex Marine from going to class
because the demonstration was "shutting
down" the school.. It was only heated
discussion, until some jackass decided
that since the Jar-Head wouldn't do what
they told him they would restrain him. He
was gentle, no fatalities, fifteen taken for
medical attention. NEVER JUMP a
mud Marine! The crowd scattered when
he started breaking bones. (snip)

When and where was this? A violent incident like that (fifteen injured,
broken bones, and so on) should easily be verifiable through newspaper
accounts of the time.

There have been auto accidents in California with over a hundred cars
involved, you heard how many were hurt and the outcome of these accidents of
course!
I don't know where you would see it, the school handled it in their clinic
and I didn't see any press or TV about it locally. I do not know why
because I would have thought it was big news!
A broken wrist two broken collar bones, and lots of bruises and a couple of
black eyes didn't seem so big. There were more hurt in a fight after the end
of season football game!
However the Demonstration got almost a whole page! But why would you
believe the news papers, with known bias, and not an eye witness? Not to
good on jury duty to ignore direct testimony. But there is no trial. And I
decline to testify further.

My brother told me that while he was flying
home (civilian air lines) he encountered
people who spit on him. (snip)

Really? Which civilian airlines flew into the Vietnam war zone? Which
airlines allowed passengers to spit on other passengers?

See above.... I think it was Delta from SFO to PHX!

Never jump to conclusions without all
the facts. There may be nothing there
to land on. The theory that China would
have joined the war was never a factor,
except in the eyes of the peaceniks since
the Chinese WERE FINANCING the
war!!! (snip)

The possibility of China opening joining the conflict was a major factor
in decision making of the time. China was obviously supporting the North
Vietnamese, but that is vastly different from what I said ("an escalation

of
the conflict would have caused China to *openly join* the conflict"). An
open conflict with China would have led to several million Chinese

soldiers
flooding into Vietnam to fight our soldiers directly, and may have even

led
to nuclear warfare between China and the USA. Only a darn fool would have
ignored that possibility (yet some military leaders did actually want to
ignore the possibility - our civilian government was wise enough not to).

Thank you for clarifying what you meant to say, I didn't understand the
point as more than what was originally stated.
Well they didn't ignore it, did they?

[...]

You state the obvious as if you have a problem believing it.
Why if Generals lack this magically unique knowledge
are they sometimes elected to the office of President?
Like for example, Washington, Grant, Eisenhower, etc!
I respect your opinion, though I do not agree with much of it.
Why do you believe you have the right to suggest that
a citizen of this country should leave because they disagree with you?
(Rhetorical, I AM dropping this group.)

Old December 26th 03, 03:22 AM
Jerry Oxendine

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...

(snip) I saw myself, watched repeated
and got involved in breaking up a few
or the attacks! The worst one was when
a gang of about fifty demonstrators tried
to prevent an ex Marine from going to class
because the demonstration was "shutting
down" the school.. It was only heated
discussion, until some jackass decided
that since the Jar-Head wouldn't do what
they told him they would restrain him. He
was gentle, no fatalities, fifteen taken for
medical attention. NEVER JUMP a
mud Marine! The crowd scattered when
he started breaking bones. (snip)

When and where was this? A violent incident like that (fifteen injured,
broken bones, and so on) should easily be verifiable through newspaper
accounts of the time.

Not to get caught up in this, rather a comment. I can't say if/who/when/
where someone got spat upon, but I
could BELIEVE that one of those long-haired, granny-
glasses drippy-hippy could have been severely injured
if he tried such a caper. If any of those cowardly, "peace"
niks had jumped upon, or spat upon one of our Marines,
then I would supported him, encouraged him, urged him,
or HELPED him to put on an old fashioned ***whippin' that SOB would not
soon forget! And if any bones got
broken, particularly of those pot smoking, #$%^&%$#@, then all the better!

My brother told me that while he was flying
home (civilian air lines) he encountered
people who spit on him. (snip)

Really? Which civilian airlines flew into the Vietnam war zone? Which
airlines allowed passengers to spit on other passengers?

Then he'd have MY a** to whup if he pulled such a caper and spit on me,
'cause being rather a large fella
with something of a temper, I'd have stomped a mudhole
in his butt he'd not forget. The airlines wouldn't have had
to've "protected" me; I'd have attempted to take care of it myself. Now,
much older and mellower, but still in pretty good health, I'd think a bit
more about getting into an altercation. When I was 21-22? Uh-unh! I'd have
smacked hell out of him without a second thought.
Hehe! Matter of fact, I GOT into a few fights in those
days. LOL!

I don't remember hearing personally of spitting incidents,
only of vague reports of such. I only know what *I* would have done!~

73

Jerry

Old December 26th 03, 07:02 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Roger Gt" wrote:
Sorry, this can go no further, you
CHOSE not to believe anything
you like, but I was there at the
incidents described. (snip)

Yes, I choose not to believe accusations against a significant portion of
this country's population, or accusations of incompetency against the
government of this country, without clear and convincing evidence to back it
up. Surely you don't believe your word alone is enough for such accusations,
in a public forum, to go unchallenged.

(snip) So I will not continue, didn't mean
to get sucked into this line of discussion
anyway. The direction this has taken is
not in the topic of the radio group, and I
am leaving the group since it has produced
nothing of value or interest to me. (snip)

Well, that is certainly your decision to make. However, if what you've
said is really true, I strongly urge you to follow up by reporting your
experiences to the various veterans organizations in this country. Several
have ongoing programs to gather and verify the history of veterans over the
years.

There have been auto accidents in
California with over a hundred cars
involved, you heard how many were
hurt and the outcome of these
accidents of course!

No, but there would be a written record of each of those automobile
accidents - newspaper accounts, police records, hospital records, insurance
claims, and so on. The same is true for the incident you described (fifty
demonstrators jumping a marine, with fifteen requiruing medical attention
for broken bones), which means your claim can be fairly easily verified if
true.

(snip) But why would you believe
the news papers, with known bias,
and not an eye witness? (snip)

I'm not going to "believe" anyone, including a supposed eyewitness,
without facts to back up what is said. I can ask a newspaper for the source
of it's information, or research the incident myself in the same manner as
the newspaper did. But, an eyewitness, without verification of what is said,
is the absolute least reliable source of information.

You state the obvious as if you have
a problem believing it. Why if Generals
lack this magically unique knowledge
are they sometimes... (snip)

Again, a military officer does not have a mandate from the people to make
decisions that could impact all Americans. In a democracy, we place that
authority in the hands of the elected government, not in Generals. The
elected President is Commander in Chief of the military and the soldiers
(including Generals) obey his commands. Any effort to subvert that system,
by claiming government should have no say in the actions of our military or
whatever, is, in my opinion, a direct effort to subvert the very system of
government in this country. I took an oath many years ago to defend the
people, Constitution, and government, of this country. I still consider the
ultimate goal of that oath worthwhile.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 27th 03, 11:43 AM
Roger Gt

I meant to shut this off.
But forgot to unsubscribe the group.
When I read your "Reply" I thought about it and
finally decided to DE-BUNK the outrageous comments you made.

"Roger Gt" wrote:
Sorry, this can go no further, you
CHOSE not to believe anything
you like, but I was there at the
incidents described. (snip)

Yes, I choose not to believe accusations against a significant portion

of
this country's population, or accusations of incompetency against the
government of this country, without clear and convincing evidence to back

it
up. Surely you don't believe your word alone is enough for such

accusations,
in a public forum, to go unchallenged.

I made no accusations against any but the persons involved!
You were not there, and can only attempt to make it less clear.
What "significant portion of this country's population?"
The Peaceniks were at most somewhat less than 3% of the population, and
don't seem to share your dedication to protecting this country and it's
people.
I made no "accusations of incompetency against the government of this
country" Rather I pointed out My opinion of the generally poor decisions
made under a difficult set of circumstances.
These are hardly hidden and are for the most part common knowledge.

I was engaged in a discussion, not a court case, my word is good in court,
and many other forums, all of which I have a right to access and speak in.
You can not challenge my stated view of incidents by argument and innuendo!

(snip) So I will not continue, didn't mean
to get sucked into this line of discussion
anyway. The direction this has taken is
not in the topic of the radio group, and I
am leaving the group since it has produced
nothing of value or interest to me. (snip)

As I will shortly!

Well, that is certainly your decision to make. However, if what you've
said is really true, I strongly urge you to follow up by reporting your
experiences to the various veterans organizations in this country. Several
have ongoing programs to gather and verify the history of veterans over

the
years.

I made every attempt possible to me at the time. The school handled it as a
"student altercation" and their report did not state a cause! My sworn
statement is on record as were eight others.

The school has changed administrations since then, and the records are in
storage. It is possible, but not easy to obtain them. I've tried.

There have been auto accidents in California with over a hundred cars
involved, you heard how many were hurt and the outcome of these
accidents of course!

No, but there would be a written record of each of those automobile
accidents - newspaper accounts, police records, hospital records,

insurance
claims, and so on. The same is true for the incident you described (fifty
demonstrators jumping a marine, with fifteen requiring medical attention
for broken bones), which means your claim can be fairly easily verified if
true.

You are not quoting me, and clearly did not read nor understand what I said.
I said only one (Jackass) jumped the marine. There were fifty demonstrators
present, most ran when the violence erupted. Many (8) jumped in to help,
including myself. fifteen were looked at for medical reasons, but they were
only three broken bones, which I stated clearly! At the time the bones were
broken, there was some serious reduction in the action! Most were burses,
skinned knees and elbows, and (I think) a couple of black eyes.
Where do you get off mis-quoting in order to try to cast doubt upon someone
else? Is it poor form, dishonest and makes you look foolish!

Snipping out partial quotes, and modifying them to allow you more to comment
on is not questionable it is dishonest!
As to verification.
You have clearly never tried to obtain the records of an accident you were
not involved in!
You must state a reason, and they block out all names and addresses to
protect the privacy of the persons named. It takes a court order to obtain
more detail.

(snip) But why would you believe
the news papers, with known bias,
and not an eye witness? (snip)

I'm not going to "believe" anyone, including a supposed eyewitness,
without facts to back up what is said. I can ask a newspaper for the

source
of it's information, or research the incident myself in the same manner as
the newspaper did. But, an eyewitness, without verification of what is

said,
is the absolute least reliable source of information.

You would be a poor juror!
The court is clear, testimony and physical evidence are the only material
you may base a finding upon.

Also, as I said, I was not trying to make you believe, rather relate to you
an experience I HAD and verify that I had reason to believe it was more
common than the several minor incidents I personally viewed! Nothing you
have said changes anything at all!

[...]

Repeating yourself doesn't make you more believable nor more patriotic!
You make statements which clearly indicate you either didn't understand what
I said, or have twisted the words to mean what you WANTED to hear. That
Ho-Ra not withstanding, it is not part of nor has any bearing upon the
discussion we were involved in.
I choose not to be drawn into a discussion of the responsibilities of
officers (Generals) to advise a president. It is not part of this
discussion!
After a visit to your poorly written web site, I see your travels possibly
corrupted your perspective and you have a twisted view of reality!

Old December 27th 03, 08:35 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Roger Gt" wrote:

(snip) You are not quoting me, and clearly
did not read nor understand what I said.
I said only one (Jackass) jumped the marine.
There were fifty demonstrators present,
most ran when the violence erupted. Many
(8) jumped in to help, including myself.
fifteen were looked at for medical reasons,
but they were only three broken bones,
which I stated clearly! (snip)
Where do you get off mis-quoting in order
to try to cast doubt upon someone else?
Is it poor form, dishonest and makes you
look foolish!

Lets see who is really being dishonest here. Your exact words were...

"The worst one was when a gang
of about fifty demonstrators tried
to prevent an ex Marine from going
to class because the demonstration
was "shutting down" the school.. It
was only heated discussion, until
some jackass decided that since the
Jar-Head wouldn't do what they
told him they would restrain him. He
was gentle, no fatalities, fifteen taken
for medical attention. NEVER JUMP
a mud Marine! The crowd scattered
when he started breaking bones."

You clearly said "they," not one, tried to restrain the marine ("they
would restrain him"). You said nothing about most demonstrators running when
the violence erupted. Instead, you said the "crowd scattered when he started
breaking bones." You said nothing about the number of broken bones. And,
finally, you said fifteen demonstrators needed medical attention ("He was
gentle, no fatalities, fifteen taken for medical attention"). The story
you're telling now is a lot different from the story you told before.

Snipping out partial quotes, and modifying
them to allow you more to comment on is
not questionable it is dishonest!

I have not modified a single one of the quotes of what you've said. Your
messages, and my quotes from those messages, are there for all to see.

(snip) You would be a poor juror! The court
is clear, testimony and physical evidence are
the only material you may base a finding upon.

Of course, this is a public forum, not a courtroom, Roger. However, lets
look at this from that perspective for a moment. The strongest testimony is
that backed up by physical evidence. You've offered no physical evidence.
Regardless, since you've now changed your story under cross examination,
nothing you've said would hold up even in a courtroom.

(snip) After a visit to your poorly written web
site, I see your travels possibly corrupted your
perspective and you have a twisted view of
reality!

Those travels were arranged, and paid for, by the Department of Defense.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 27th 03, 09:29 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth "Dwight Stewart" in
k.net:

"Roger Gt" wrote:

[...]

Just for the sake of completeness, the entire article may be found archived at
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=RSnGb.2255%24gO.607%40newssvr25.news.p rodigy.com.

It does indeed verify the accuracy of Dwight's quote.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these
Old December 27th 03, 10:19 PM
Roger Gt

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth "Dwight Stewart" in
k.net:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...wssvr25.news.p
rodigy.com.

It does indeed verify the accuracy of Dwight's quote.

The story has not changed, I only added details to show his assumptions were
BOGUS.
Actually I DID detail the number of broken bones! The number taken to the
Schools clinic included four of us who tried to break it up! I only got a
skinned knee. I didn't feel that was a needed detail, or for that matter
than any significant detail was needed. I was unaware that Dwight was
intending to defend the actions about which he has no first hand knowledge!
You are also being very selective and not at all objective.
None of these comments has any impact upon the incident which occurred so
long ago!
So inclusion of "they" was a misleading indicator which cause him to jump to
several unfounded assumptions. Again, his perception, not my commentary.
There is no point in the "Cross Examination" unless he maintains the
Demonstrators were not at fault. Please Name those you are defending! I
was there and couldn't get the names!
Perhaps more detail would have been needed, but there seemed no point, it is
OT!
However let me point out that he makes the comment

(snip) After a visit to your poorly written web
site, I see your travels possibly corrupted your
perspective and you have a twisted view of
reality!

Those travels were arranged, and paid for, by the Department of Defense.

On his web page he states,
I was born in North Carolina in 1953. However, other than two years on the
coast of the Mediterranean Sea near Istanbul Turkey, I spent much of my
childhood in Sacramento California. I enlisted in the Army in 1970 and
served a little over two years in Germany (MOS 31M - Radio Relay Operator).
I returned to Europe in 1977 and found work as a sales representative with a
consumer electronics marketing firm based in Basel, Switzerland. I later
managed a German-owned computer store in Heidelberg.

During those ten years in Germany, I took a course in journalism and public
affairs, and an electrician course with several additional sub-courses in
communications fundamentals, logical troubleshooting, and electrical
physics.

In 1998, I went to Europe once again to live in Vicenza Italy for a year.
When I returned to the United States, I lived in Washington State for
several months and then moved to my present home in Myrtle Beach, South
Carolina.

Were all these Junkets paid for by Tax dollars? Shame!!!!

So much for your insistent irrelevant nitpicking!

Good Bye!

Attached Images
File Type: gif Spacer.gif (47 Bytes, 40 views)
Old December 27th 03, 10:48 PM
Roger Gt

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth "Dwight Stewart" in
k.net:

"Roger Gt" wrote:

(snip)

And why would you care?

I only related that I HAD seen a demonstration where violence erupted, and
DS wanted to pick it apart. Nether polite conversation, nor good manners
were evident!
Are there no participants in news groups with a modicum of manners?
Are you defending violent demonstrations as a "first amendment right?"
Rhetorical, your answers are of no consequence, and will have no effect!
All will be as it is now, and the sands will cover it all in time!

--
Set wards, light torches, unfurl banners, play a joyous tune.
Yes! Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow --- You know the rest!

Happy Holidays to all! Celebrate as you will!
May the Gods be kind to you and yours!

Old December 28th 03, 04:01 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Roger Gt" wrote:

(snip) However let me point out that he
makes the comment

(snip) After a visit to your poorly written
web site, I see your travels possibly
corrupted your perspective and you have
a twisted view of reality!

Those travels were arranged, and paid for,
by the Department of Defense.

On his web page he states,
I was born in North Carolina.... (snip)

(snip) Were all these Junkets paid for by
Tax dollars? Shame!!!!

If you wanted details, all you had to do was ask (as I did for you,
Roger). As for Turkey, my father was stationed there with the Air Force. The
trip to Germany was paid for by the Army while my wife was still on active
duty. She got out three years later and went to work for the Army as a
civilian employee (HQ USAREUR in Heidelberg). For much of that time I worked
at civilian jobs, and later for the Army itself. I was still working for the
Army, as a civilian employee, when we went to Italy (HQ SETAF in Vicenza)
for the Kosovo conflict. My wife retired as DoD employee shortly before the
trip to Italy and I retired shortly afterward (just after the trip to
Washington state).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/