Old March 21st 05, 12:28 AM
DieSea

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
DieSea wrote:

Not my LOCAL Node

Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed and says
he's on holiday until the end of April.

To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its

insufferable.

I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.

- Mike -

They should be , after all they can be used to control an EchoLink or IRLP Node .

I Should also add that this contest is on for a FULL MONTH , that's a full 28 days
or more .

If I remember MattD had some suitable comment a day or so back.

DieSea

Old March 21st 05, 01:19 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
DieSea wrote:

Not my LOCAL Node

Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed and
says
he's on holiday until the end of April.

To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its
insufferable.

I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.

- Mike -

Or Baby Monitors ?

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 21st 05, 01:20 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
DieSea wrote:

Not my LOCAL Node

Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed
and says
he's on holiday until the end of April.

To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its

insufferable.

I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.

- Mike -

They should be , after all they can be used to control an EchoLink or IRLP
Node .

I Should also add that this contest is on for a FULL MONTH , that's a full
28 days
or more .

If I remember MattD had some suitable comment a day or so back.

DieSea

Great....I'll join in if someone can help me get my CW Key to operate on it.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 21st 05, 07:31 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"DieSea" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

DieSea wrote:

Not my LOCAL Node

Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed
and says
he's on holiday until the end of April.

To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its

insufferable.

I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.

- Mike -

They should be , after all they can be used to control an EchoLink or IRLP
Node .

I Should also add that this contest is on for a FULL MONTH , that's a full
28 days
or more .

If I remember MattD had some suitable comment a day or so back.

DieSea

Great....I'll join in if someone can help me get my CW Key to operate on it.

Dan/W4NTI

There would be no reason why you can't use CW over IRLP. Stop bagging
IRLP, if you don't like it then don't use it!

WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
Radio, there is room for everyone.

I just checked, there are a total of 1591 IRLP nodes, 1034 active, 879
idle and 105 in calls. This indicates the following to me:

1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.

2. This contest is going to have very little impact on any one local
node. Big deal someone is going to dial it up, put out a call either
they will make a contact or they won't and then they will close the link!

Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags you
for using it, I know I certainly don't.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/
Old March 21st 05, 08:22 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:31:04 +1100, Simon VK3XEM
wrote:

1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.

IRLP has as much to do with Amateur Radio as smoke signals or
semaphore.

The only difference is, communication by smoke signals or semaphore
would be a whole lot more challenging and satisfying than IRLP.

73 de G3NYY

WAKE UP! You *MUST* use your radio, the person at the other end *MUST*
use their radio. Last time I checked that was Amateur Radio.

Like I said before there are *MANY* parts to our hobby, I don't knock
what you do in Amateur Radio, so leave people alone that like IRLP.

Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

Old March 21st 05, 08:25 AM
DieSea

[...]

I'm not bagging IRLP or Voip

A contest running for 24 hours perhaps or at a push 1 weekend but 24 / 7 for 28
days no way.

Ofcom / the RSGB have put in the conditions of issuing a Notice of Variation ,
that the holder of the Nov MUST be on site at all times the node is running , if
he's not then the can rescind his Nov if caught.

I would be surprised if any UK amateur providing a VoiP Gateway would be at home
for 24 / 7 for 28 days .

It there fore puts the UK amateur at a dis-advantage as soon as the licensee walks
of the property , the node should be turned off.

DieSea

Old March 21st 05, 08:40 AM
Simon VK3XEM

DieSea wrote:
[...]

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go against the regs. But what has
that got to do with the IRLP contest? My point was with so many active
nodes out there the load would be spread out and traffic I would expect
be very minimal on any given node.

Old March 21st 05, 09:28 AM
DieSea

It there fore puts the UK amateur at a dis-advantage as soon as the licensee

walks
of the property , the node should be turned off.

DieSea

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go against the regs. But what has
that got to do with the IRLP contest? My point was with so many active
nodes out there the load would be spread out and traffic I would expect
be very minimal on any given node.

It certainly doesn't make the "PLAYING FIELDS LEVEL"

Our local Node op has been away this weekend helping at the Blackpool Rally so his
nodes been down since Friday , its just gone up.

In some respect we're lucky as he's an elderly bloke with mobility problems , he
doesn't get out much , so when he's up its on , he's still p***ed off with this 24
/ 7 x 28 day contest .

The Next comment you make is that its radio to radio , that's not 100 % correct ,
I know of at least 3 VK's , 2 VE's and at least 5 G / M stations that don't have a
radio connected to their node . Its quite easy to confirm that comment about G / M
stations if you know where to look.

DieSea.

Old March 21st 05, 10:54 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:22:53 +1100, Simon VK3XEM
wrote:

Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

So, like others of your ilk, you are intent upon converting amateur
radio into multi-band CB to satisfy your own selfish aims ... using
the completely false pretext of "saving the hobby from dying".

Yes, I thought so.

73 de G3NYY

I am not going to waste my time with you *IDIOT*, I have **** listed you!

Old March 21st 05, 10:57 AM
Simon VK3XEM

DieSea wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you are not confusing IRLP with echolink? I personally
don't agree with using your computer to access the the network like
echolink does, but I am not going to stop any licensed person from doing
so if the regs. allow it.