Old March 21st 05, 08:22 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:31:04 +1100, Simon VK3XEM
wrote:

1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.

IRLP has as much to do with Amateur Radio as smoke signals or
semaphore.

The only difference is, communication by smoke signals or semaphore
would be a whole lot more challenging and satisfying than IRLP.

73 de G3NYY

WAKE UP! You *MUST* use your radio, the person at the other end *MUST*
use their radio. Last time I checked that was Amateur Radio.

Like I said before there are *MANY* parts to our hobby, I don't knock
what you do in Amateur Radio, so leave people alone that like IRLP.

Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/
Old March 22nd 05, 01:59 AM
Mike Coslo

wrote:

1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.

IRLP has as much to do with Amateur Radio as smoke signals or
semaphore.

The only difference is, communication by smoke signals or semaphore
would be a whole lot more challenging and satisfying than IRLP.

73 de G3NYY

WAKE UP! You *MUST* use your radio, the person at the other end *MUST*
use their radio. Last time I checked that was Amateur Radio.

Here is what the difference is.

There is very little difference between IRLP and people using the
internet for making telephone calls.

If a person made a gateway for IRLP using FRS radios, it would be the
same thing. For CB radio, same thing.

There are voice chat rooms for people on the internet already. They are
probably more reliable than IRLP. THey cut out the weak link - the radio.

The whole setup eliminates every interest and challenge of Amateur
radio, except for the talking. There is as much technical acumen needed
for me to talk around the world using IRLP as there is for me to pick up
the telephone.

Like I said before there are *MANY* parts to our hobby, I don't knock
what you do in Amateur Radio, so leave people alone that like IRLP.

Um, no thanks. Seriously, if you want to do IRLP, then have at it. But
if you do silly things like have contests, then I think I'll voice my
opinion if ya don't mind.

Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

And here is the real kick. Do you actually *think* that IRLP is some
kind of "innovation"? It is the internet equivalent of a phone patch.
Like I say, if that is your think, then fine. But to actually have a
contest for such things is silly.

Of course, last time I checked, there was no law against being silly! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 22nd 05, 02:08 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Mike Coslo wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Up until now I haven't made comment on the contest, that is probably
because I have no real interest at present for contesting, although that
does change from time to time.

I suppose a month long contest is a long time, although I would have
thought that being spread over a large network such as IRLP it wouldn't
have really created a great deal of traffic on any given node.

Besides, how many operators are going to be contesting all month? Most
I would expect will just jump on in their spare time, just as they would
for normal operating.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:26 PM
Jock.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:56 +1100, Simon VK3XEM wrote:

Besides, how many operators are going to be contesting all month? Most
I would expect will just jump on in their spare time, just as they would
for normal operating.

Are you seriously labelling the morons who indulge in this sort
of nonsense "operators"? Seriously?

73 de Jock.
--
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)
Old March 22nd 05, 11:26 PM
Simon VK3XEM

No, I am actually labeling *YOU* as a moron and **** listing you!

Old March 25th 05, 07:06 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article , Jock wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:56 +1100, Simon VK3XEM wrote:

Besides, how many operators are going to be contesting all month? Most
I would expect will just jump on in their spare time, just as they would
for normal operating.

Are you seriously labelling the morons who indulge in this sort
of nonsense "operators"? Seriously?

73 de Jock.

Morons are like you Jock....cant accept a broader concept of radio.
If it doesnt meet your **SPECIFIC** interpretation, out come the labels.

You really should go back to your Black Model-T ford
Old March 22nd 05, 07:15 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article , Mike Coslo wrote:

There is very little difference between IRLP and people using the
internet for making telephone calls.

So what, are you saying IRLP is a phone call or what is it ?
Infact who gives a damm what it is, it allows HAMS to
communicate when they want to. IRLP demonstrates whats
possible so if you dont like it, dont use it.

If a person made a gateway for IRLP using FRS radios, it would be the
same thing. For CB radio, same thing.

There are voice chat rooms for people on the internet already. They are
probably more reliable than IRLP. THey cut out the weak link - the radio.

Sure, use them and call it what you want.

The whole setup eliminates every interest and challenge of Amateur
radio, except for the talking. There is as much technical acumen needed
for me to talk around the world using IRLP as there is for me to pick up
the telephone.

eh eh , the standard answer from an Armchair Critic. You Sir have
no idea how IRLP operates and is structured. You even think that
picking up a VOIP phone is a simple exercise. If you've bothered
to investigate how SIP, H323, MGCP and other protocols work
and how this is hooked together to provide VOIP, then I and everyone
else here would love you to make it wonderfully simple...

Like I said before there are *MANY* parts to our hobby, I don't knock
what you do in Amateur Radio, so leave people alone that like IRLP.

Um, no thanks. Seriously, if you want to do IRLP, then have at it. But
if you do silly things like have contests, then I think I'll voice my
opinion if ya don't mind.

I would prefer if you shut your mouth actually and let those
that are interested, have spent the time organising and promoting
get on with it and for you to pursue your own interests, though
your own interests seem to be related in flaming people doing
things you have no interest in....

Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

And here is the real kick. Do you actually *think* that IRLP is some
kind of "innovation"? It is the internet equivalent of a phone patch.
Like I say, if that is your think, then fine. But to actually have a
contest for such things is silly.

YOu really need to get out more....IRLP has been around for many many
years, 6 to be exact. Its not a phone patch, a phone patch
connects to an analogue circuit. IRLP was one of the early VOIP
systems, you know, those systems that are **6 YEARS LATER getting
press coverage....

Let them contest, collect your stamps and let those that are
interested in their aspect of the hobby get on with it. You
could do **MUCH** better to remain silent and get on with your
**OWN** aspects of the hobby

Of course, last time I checked, there was no law against being silly! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Aint that a fact....