Old August 10th 03, 12:41 PM
Rob Judd

Paul Burridge wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:36:08 GMT, Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:01:16 -0400, Alex wrote:

GFCI?

Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor.

How splendid! We call them Residual Current Circuit Breakers in
England. Typically they trip out at just over the amount of current
required to kill someone. Keeps the bills down that way. In *this*
universe, anyway.

They're Earth Leakage Detectors in Australia. ;-)

Rob
Old August 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Rob Judd

Paul Burridge wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:52:03 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Does that mean that my smoking/exploding MOSFETs have narrowly
survived their "both sides of the half-bridge on" event in some
parallel universe? How about my dog who got runned over (sic) when I
was 12? Is he happily chasing various critters somewhere?

The world's brightest minds would have it so, strange as it seems. For
a gentle introduction into the subject, check out 'The Universe Next
Door' by Marcus Chown.

Naah. Never was into Science Fantasy ...

Rob

Old August 10th 03, 01:06 PM
Paul Burridge

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:30:03 +1200, Barry Lennox
wrote:

Still the same universe though!

How would you know?
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Old August 10th 03, 01:30 PM
Blake

Dave Platt wrote:

Seems to go along well with "keep one hand in your back pocket" and
"don't work on this stuff while standing in a puddle of water".

When I am around high voltages, I practice the "two-hand rule" - I keep both
hands in my pockets and don't touch anything.

Blake

--
Drop 'pants' to reply by email

Old August 10th 03, 05:08 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Had big time Electric Shocks -- never fatal obviously
Had big time shocks that should (could) have been fatal -- ART- 13 Dynamotor
Navy. 440 AC - steel mill, etc.
But tis the current that does you in, not the voltage.

Coupla hundred milliAmperes will do it --- URL:
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml

Guess my Irish hide has lots of ohms!

Steel Mill Stories from the 40's (Maybe Urban Legend)

1. A lunch eater sat down and rested his head on a huge copper bus bar
(voltage unknown), someone turned on the switch, he was reduced to a
frazzled lump with a half a sandwich!

2. A careless electrician up high on an overhead crane, got across a high
voltage line and fell into one of those giant ladles that pour out the
molten steel. Not found.

Maybe the old steel mill hands -- told this to the new guys to scare the
hell out of em, Worked for me!

Lock the distribution box, take off all jewelry, keep one mitt behind you,
keep away from the chassis, -- all good advice, mostly learned the hard way.

Then there was a color TV High Voltage supply ---- oocchhh !!! A teeth
rattling experience.