Old August 30th 03, 07:49 AM
ånønÿmøu§

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:29:46 +0100, Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

No, can't say I have..... I do remember once when I had just got to work
and a line operator came into the lab complaining that he had blown the
fuse on a power supply. It was one of those twist on black cap ones, that
held the fuse inside it. Well, I pulled it out and without thinking just shoved
a new fuse in and wham! Ya! I'm up! That worked better that 10 cups of
coffee!
Old August 30th 03, 11:58 AM
Winfield Hill

ånønÿmøu§ wrote...

Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

No, can't say I have..... I do remember once when I had just got
to work and a line operator came into the lab complaining that he
had blown the fuse on a power supply. It was one of those twist
on black cap ones, that held the fuse inside it. Well, I pulled
it out and without thinking just shoved a new fuse in and wham!
Ya! I'm up! That worked better that 10 cups of coffee!

I'm glad you're OK. But that fuse-holder was mis-wired, with the
ac input on the outer ring rather than on the inner end connection.
Properly wired, a user won't be exposed to a dangerous hazard, as
we point out on page 328 of our book, The Art of Electronics.

Thanks,
- Win

Old August 30th 03, 08:19 PM
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:29:46 +0100, Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

No, can't say I have..... I do remember once when I had just got to work
and a line operator came into the lab complaining that he had blown the
fuse on a power supply. It was one of those twist on black cap ones, that
held the fuse inside it. Well, I pulled it out and without thinking just shoved
a new fuse in and wham! Ya! I'm up! That worked better that 10 cups of
coffee!

The incoming hot wire is not supposed to go to the center pin. That
way, the fuse isn't hot when it's inserted into the socket.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@

Old August 31st 03, 04:18 AM
Don Klipstein

In article , Watson
A.Name - "Watt Sun" wrote:

The incoming hot wire is not supposed to go to the center pin. That
way, the fuse isn't hot when it's inserted into the socket.

Fuse holders aren't the only thing that can be miswired. I have seen
outlets with hot and neutral reversed.

- Don Klipstein )

Old September 2nd 03, 05:21 AM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Winfield Hill wrote:
ånønÿmøu§ wrote...
It was one of those twist
on black cap ones, that held the fuse inside it. Well, I pulled
it out and without thinking just shoved a new fuse in and wham!
Ya! I'm up! That worked better that 10 cups of coffee!

I'm glad you're OK. But that fuse-holder was mis-wired, with the
ac input on the outer ring rather than on the inner end connection.
Properly wired, a user won't be exposed to a dangerous hazard, as
we point out on page 328 of our book, The Art of Electronics.

I like my method better. The twist-in cap usually will hold the fuse
well enough that one doesn't have to be touching any metal when the
fuse is pushed into the holder and screwed in. He who doesn't touch a
conductor doesn't become one.

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."