Old August 11th 03, 07:54 AM
Sir Charles W. Shults III

Actually, I should have said a megohm for a ground strap and 10 megohms or
so per square for mats. Since they are by area and not linear, the
specification has to be per square.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Old August 11th 03, 08:27 AM
Barry Lennox

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:06:22 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:30:03 +1200, Barry Lennox
wrote:

Still the same universe though!

How would you know?

Damm, so how many universals are there?

Old August 11th 03, 10:43 AM
Paul Burridge

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:55:16 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Armco (now A-K) Steel in Middletown Ohio supposedly had a man (who
was upset over his wife cheating on him) commit suicide by jumping into
one of the soaking pits were they heat the ingots before it is rolled
into sheet metal.

This reminds me of the old HG Wells short story, 'The Cone' where
precisely the same set of events is described in gory detail. Well
worth a read...
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Old August 11th 03, 10:43 AM
Paul Burridge

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:09:28 +0100, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

When I worked as an RO in the Merchant Navy I found I could light my
cigarette by holding on to the overhead copper aerial feeder while
simultaneously keying the transmitter on MW (say 480 or 512 Khz) ....only
when I couldn't find my lighter. Kinda daft in retrospect...and chuckle to
think I eventually won a safety award ;-)

There's a future for you at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. :-)

Old August 11th 03, 12:25 PM
Rob Judd

Avery Fineman wrote:

In article , "Mike Gilmour"
writes:

Maybe apocryphal but I heard that if you're stupid enough to look into an
open waveguide of an active 10cm marine radar it would cause that eye to
become the equivalent of a hard boiled egg. No need for a 3 minute timer
then?

Back when I was doing electronic instrumentation with an optics group
at Rockwell, my first day in that group brought forth a caution from one
of the optical physicists about lasers: "Do NOT look INTO a laser beam
unless you want that to be the LAST thing you see."

That was with a little 10 milliWatt laser used on their optical table
for initial system calibration.

Good advice I thought...and remembered it.

I'm sure there are some in here who want to gabble about "open wave-
guide" and it "not radiating much because it is open, represents a
discontinuity, and the VSWR is so high there won't be any power
radiated." Which MIGHT happen at any microwave frequency from
L-band bottom (1 GHz) on up past Ku band (24 GHz+). That will
depend on the wavelength of the physical waveguide opening to the
microwave source. The magnetron MAY also refuse to oscillate due
to a high VSWR, flash over and trip its breaker or something to not
operate. Then again it MAY - with equal likelyhood - work just fine
with an opening and radiate FULL power out that open waveguide.
Or something in between full power and no power...a big unknown.

No matter how much anyone likes hardboiled eggs, those belong in
the mouth and not the eye sockets.

I like this sign:

"Do not look into the laser with your remaining eye ..."

Rob
Old August 11th 03, 12:25 PM
Rob Judd

Old August 11th 03, 01:31 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

wrote:

When I worked as an RO in the Merchant Navy I found I could light my
cigarette by holding on to the overhead copper aerial feeder while
simultaneously keying the transmitter on MW (say 480 or 512 Khz) ....only
when I couldn't find my lighter. Kinda daft in retrospect...and chuckle to
think I eventually won a safety award ;-)

There's a future for you at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. :-)

As Homer would insist: "Get it right - it's noocular, noocular."

It's always worried me, the way The Nuclear Briefcase gets handed to
people who can't even pronounce it.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek