Old August 8th 03, 07:45 PM
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'

In article ,
mentioned...
A former member of the Air Force told me about a safety training video
narrated by a transmitter tech who did not observe *all* the procedures. He
survived to make the video, but as a double amputee.

I was told that this training video was part of the curriculum for so many
years that the principal character became somewhat of a celebrity. Perhaps
someone with more direct knowledge can add or correct the details.

Tom, N3IJ

Well, that's a helluva way to become a celebrity! But on
observation, the amputee must've been a DOD civilian, because he
couldn't have remained in the AF without his legs. Or whatever was
amputated. Or maybe he did the narration after he had recovered and
was discharged.

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Old August 8th 03, 09:38 PM
Theo

No, but I have been cured of AIDS, just got a set
of spark plugs for my Diesel lorry and a couple of
skyhooks to hold up my HF dipole!

Theo

Old August 8th 03, 10:25 PM
Paul Burridge

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:52:03 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Does that mean that my smoking/exploding MOSFETs have narrowly
survived their "both sides of the half-bridge on" event in some
parallel universe? How about my dog who got runned over (sic) when I
was 12? Is he happily chasing various critters somewhere?

The world's brightest minds would have it so, strange as it seems. For
a gentle introduction into the subject, check out 'The Universe Next
Door' by Marcus Chown.

--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Old August 8th 03, 10:36 PM
Gary S.

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:01:16 -0400, Alex wrote:

GFCI?

Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor.

It detects a sudden rise in current to ground and shuts the circuit
off in a fraction of a second.

Fuses protect the circuit, GFCI protects people.

The present US Electrical Code requires them in areas where water is
nearby, including bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and outdoors.

You are encouraged to use them in other places where there is danger
of zapping yourself.

They are not a guarantee, but they boost the odds in your favor.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old August 9th 03, 12:01 AM
Bill Bowden

Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' wrote in message ...
In article , richard.p.henry@saic
mentioned...

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message

"WB3FUP (Mike Hall)" wrote in message
10KV to fire magnetron in counter battery radar. Took six marines to

stop
me from burying my screw driver in the chest of the asshole that thought

it
would be cute to push the radiate button.

I remember hearing the story of an Air Force tech working on a 30' radar
dish. For some dumb reason, someone energized it and promptly microwaved
him to death.

Some of these stories are hair rasing... and I'm too much of a weenie to
stick my tongue on a 9V battery...

A Raytheon corporate legend is that one of the engineers discovered the
microwave oven principle when a radar melted a chocolate bar in his shirt
pocket.

When I was in the army at Ft. Monmouth, NJ, we trained on a radar
trainer, had a klystron that put out 1W to the horn on the top of the
unit. We could put our finger over the horn and feel it get mildly
warm from the RF.

Big deal. The Real Thing put our 5 megawatts!

--

Sure, but the pulse width is only a microsecond, so the
average power is only 5 watts at one pulse per second.

-Bill