Old August 21st 03, 05:29 PM
Eamon Skelton

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:19:45 +0200, Lasse SM5GLC wrote:

Roy,
If I remember correctly my physics teacher showed that based on what is
written in the Bible, heaven have a much higher temperature than
hell.....

We are wandering way off-topic here so I'm a bit reluctant to post this on
r.r.a.h

Ah! what the hell!, it's only a few KB of text....

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington
chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the
professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of
course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
(absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas
cool when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One
student, however, wrote the following:

"First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we
need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at
which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a
soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different
religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state
that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not
belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to
Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls
in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of
the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the
temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has
to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1) If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until
all Hell breaks loose.

2) If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during
my Freshman year that, "...it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep
with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded
in having an affair with her, then #2 above cannot be true, and thus I am
sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze over."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".

73, Ed, EI9GQ.

--

Remove 'X' to reply by e-mail
http://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq

Old August 21st 03, 10:29 PM
john graesser

"Lasse SM5GLC" wrote in message
Roy,
If I remember correctly my physics teacher showed that based on what
is written in the Bible, heaven have a much higher temperature than
hell.....

/Lasse SM5GLC

As anyone who lives in Scandanavia and grew up with Norse myths should know,
hell is frozen. Heaven is the warm place you go after freezing your behind
off your whole life. Here in Texas 100F in the summer is a small price to
pay for 70F in December. My cousins in Wisconsin still put up with -35F in
the winter, I consider Texas heaven and Wisconsin hell.

No ice build up on antenna towers, and your mobile station doesn't rust out
after 10 years from the salt on the roads (just to put a little amatuer
content in the message).
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

Old August 22nd 03, 06:21 PM
Mike Coslo

john graesser wrote:
"Lasse SM5GLC" wrote in message

Roy,
If I remember correctly my physics teacher showed that based on what
is written in the Bible, heaven have a much higher temperature than
hell.....

/Lasse SM5GLC

As anyone who lives in Scandanavia and grew up with Norse myths should know,
hell is frozen. Heaven is the warm place you go after freezing your behind
off your whole life. Here in Texas 100F in the summer is a small price to
pay for 70F in December. My cousins in Wisconsin still put up with -35F in
the winter, I consider Texas heaven and Wisconsin hell.

Wow! different strokes for different folks! I'm too warm up here in
Pennsylvania. I spent some time in Fla during a normal summer, and I
though I was going to die at any moment. The folks I stayed with didn't
use air conditioning. Maybe I'll move to Alaska when I retire.

I live for the winter!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 22nd 03, 07:09 PM
Tdonaly

As anyone who lives in Scandanavia and grew up with Norse myths should

know,
hell is frozen. Heaven is the warm place you go after freezing your behind
off your whole life. Here in Texas 100F in the summer is a small price to
pay for 70F in December. My cousins in Wisconsin still put up with -35F in
the winter, I consider Texas heaven and Wisconsin hell.

Wow! different strokes for different folks! I'm too warm up here in
Pennsylvania. I spent some time in Fla during a normal summer, and I
though I was going to die at any moment. The folks I stayed with didn't
use air conditioning. Maybe I'll move to Alaska when I retire.

I live for the winter!

- Mike KB3EIA -

I always considered those San Franciscans who claim to like being socked
in by fog all summer every summer to be emotionally defective.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Old August 22nd 03, 11:30 PM
Mike Andrews

Mike Coslo wrote:

I live for the winter!

I spent a winter in Korea. The stools in the latrine froze
and exploded when a lackwit left the transom open. I really
do _NOT_ like temperatures in the vicinity of -55°F.

Then again, I was born in Oklahoma, grew up in Houston, and
have lived in Oklahoma since 1970. It was only 101°F today
here.

--
Insofar as the police deter by their presence, they are very,
very good. Criminals take great pains not to commit a crime in

Old August 30th 03, 07:49 AM
ånønÿmøu§

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:29:46 +0100, Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

No, can't say I have..... I do remember once when I had just got to work
and a line operator came into the lab complaining that he had blown the
fuse on a power supply. It was one of those twist on black cap ones, that
held the fuse inside it. Well, I pulled it out and without thinking just shoved
a new fuse in and wham! Ya! I'm up! That worked better that 10 cups of
coffee!