Old August 15th 18, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default wire that heat strips insulation

Where can I buy some small wire ( about # 28 to 30 ) that has the enamel
type of insulation that can be soldered and the heat will melt the
insulation ? There was some on ebay I bought that did not seem to work.
After checking it out, it seems that it needs to be heated to almost 400
deg C and when I tried that, it did not do all that well.

I would like it to melt out with a more normal 300 deg C or so iron.

The object is to use it on a circuit board to build small projects.

Old August 16th 18, 10:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 15/08/2018 22:56, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Where can I buy some small wire ( about # 28 to 30 ) that has the enamel
type of insulation that can be soldered and the heat will melt the
insulation ? There was some on ebay I bought that did not seem to work.
After checking it out, it seems that it needs to be heated to almost 400
deg C and when I tried that, it did not do all that well.

I would like it to melt out with a more normal 300 deg C or so iron.

The object is to use it on a circuit board to build small projects.

Scientific Wire Company here in Britland

Old August 16th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 8/15/2018 4:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Where can I buy some small wire ( about # 28 to 30 ) that has the enamel
type of insulation that can be soldered and the heat will melt the
insulation ? There was some on ebay I bought that did not seem to work.
After checking it out, it seems that it needs to be heated to almost 400
deg C and when I tried that, it did not do all that well.

I would like it to melt out with a more normal 300 deg C or so iron.

The object is to use it on a circuit board to build small projects.

It used to be sold on small spools for use in simple wire-wrap
construction, not needing fancy wire-wrap tools. I used it decades ago
for a number of computing projects, not ham radio where I tended to want
wires to stay exactly where I put them and not vary things like the
inductance and capacitance of the wiring. The simple plastic tool let
you wrap a bunch of connections, then hit them with a soldering tool to
make a lot of quite reliable connections quickly. (Not pretty, though!)
So maybe searching with phrases like "solder through wire wrap" would
find you something.
Bob Wilson, WA9D
Old August 17th 18, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018, Bob Wilson wrote:

[...]

That "solder through" somehow made me think "soldereze" or some spelling
like that. Maybe my memory bank is faulty, but I do recall there was a
brand name for the stuff, and that might be it.

And yes, there it was a period more or less after home computers arrived
that the stuff thrived, and probably in computer circles. Though,
Hamtronics had some famous preamplifier kits, and I seem to recall they
used insulated wire that could be stripped with heat.

Michael

Old August 17th 18, 08:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bob Wilson wrote:
On 8/15/2018 4:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Where can I buy some small wire ( about # 28 to 30 ) that has the enamel
type of insulation that can be soldered and the heat will melt the
insulation ? There was some on ebay I bought that did not seem to work.
After checking it out, it seems that it needs to be heated to almost 400
deg C and when I tried that, it did not do all that well.

I would like it to melt out with a more normal 300 deg C or so iron.

The object is to use it on a circuit board to build small projects.

It used to be sold on small spools for use in simple wire-wrap
construction, not needing fancy wire-wrap tools.

Special wire existed, of course very expensive, but I have always
used regular coil winding wire from the local electronics shop.
The guys there know what you need and what makes of wire are suitable.

Coincidentally, the shop is closing down right now. Like most of
them already have.
Old August 17th 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article alpine.LNX.2.20.1808162246170.20401@thrush,
says...

And yes, there it was a period more or less after home computers arrived
that the stuff thrived, and probably in computer circles. Though,
Hamtronics had some famous preamplifier kits, and I seem to recall they
used insulated wire that could be stripped with heat.

I never had a Hamtronic kit,but thought I saw in some instruction
manuals some coils wound on forms that the wire went through the pins
and they were heated to do the soldering .

Most of the kits were written about in Ham Radio magazine, so you could
build without the kit. That's one reason I mentioned them, maybe one of
the articles gives detail about the wire (and maybe not, maybe they wanted
you to buy the kit).

That is the type of wire I am looking for if the insulation melts out at
normal soldering temperature.

Around that time I got a large roll of thin gauge wire which I thought
might be this sort of wire, but I'm sure I must have tried and failed.
But I can't remember. It was in a box of junk I got for a few dollars,
and 45 years later I still have some of that roll.

Certainly that insulation would melt, but I was never sure if it was
deliberate, or just because insulation tends to melt.

Michael

Old August 21st 18, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 08/17/18 08:37, Rob wrote:

Special wire existed, of course very expensive, but I have always
used regular coil winding wire from the local electronics shop.
The guys there know what you need and what makes of wire are suitable.

Coincidentally, the shop is closing down right now. Like most of
them already have.

I worked for a transformer company decades ago and they used wire that
stripped & tinned in a solder pot. Standard transformer wire for that
company at the time, as it saved time in production. Have a word
with your local transformer company or stockist...

Chris

Old August 21st 18, 09:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Chris wrote:
On 08/17/18 08:37, Rob wrote:

Special wire existed, of course very expensive, but I have always
used regular coil winding wire from the local electronics shop.
The guys there know what you need and what makes of wire are suitable.

Coincidentally, the shop is closing down right now. Like most of
them already have.

I worked for a transformer company decades ago and they used wire that
stripped & tinned in a solder pot. Standard transformer wire for that
company at the time, as it saved time in production. Have a word
with your local transformer company or stockist...

Yes that is the kind of wire I used. It was a little easier to pre-tin
it on the iron but when working with ICs in DIP package it usually was
enough to do a half turn of the wire around the pin, clip it, and solder.

But it varies between makes of wire. With the real "enamelled" wire
this doesn't work.

FS: AMP insulation displacement wire taps - Lots of 10 Oz In DFW Swap 2 February 16th 09 01:03 AM
Boring Modern Electronics and Bacon Strips € Dr. Artaud € Shortwave 8 May 1st 05 07:06 AM
FS: Terminal Strips Jim Monroe Swap 0 January 1st 05 11:02 PM
-WANTED- Wire Measurer -or- Wire Meter -or- Wire counter Bill Hansen Swap 0 August 21st 04 11:47 PM
WANTED:: Wire Measurer -or- Wire Meter -or- Wire Counter . Bill Hansen General 0 August 21st 04 11:45 PM