Old July 20th 03, 11:26 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

I am willing to bet that some sort of "moratorium" on code
testing is announced within the next 60 days. Just an
opinion...nothing certain

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Knowing what I know about how much fun I've had with Amateur
Radio all these years, I'd say do it, get it over with and join the
fun! I liken this to a cure for cancer...Would you delay radiation
therapy in the hopes that "the" cure would be forthcoming
"tomorrow"...?!?!

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

The only way to answer that is to have experienced it...No one
can speak for you. All I can say is that it's been a blast, no
matter WHAT mode I was operating!

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I think you are doing yourself a diservice by that line of
thinking, Mike. Only you can answer that question for yourself, and
anything anyone else can offer (myself included) is nothing more than
opinion or conjecture.

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old July 20th 03, 01:21 PM
N2EY

One thing I forgot to put in previous post:

The peak of the sunspot cycle is past, and we're heading full-tilt into sunspot
minimum. Conditions on HF will be quite different than some folks are used to,
particularly on the bands above 10 MHz, at night, and in the winter.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old July 20th 03, 01:59 PM
Alun Palmer

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in
:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to
fast-track this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years
to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could
have been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old,
and won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

I'm 45 and only two years short of QCWA, because I got my no-code licence
back in G-land in 1980. It's a huge irony that I've been a ham longer, not
because I was willing to learn the code, but because I was willing to
compromise and start with a no-code licence! BTW, the QCWA favour
abolition of the code test. Are you sure you want to join?

You gave a G0L__ as your old call, but that's too recent to be 1983, isn't
it?

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing
to get

their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says
"As long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being
in the ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs
UTC, any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed
of 5 WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by
me to be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one
non-voice mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating
time. Wow -- is that a deal or what?

73 de Larry, K3LT

I suppose Larry will never consider me a fully-fledged ham, even with 20
wpm, 'cause I operate 100% phone, LOL.
Old July 20th 03, 01:59 PM
Kim W5TIT

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in
:

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do
something I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long
to wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket
sooner.

Considering the fact that most people can pass a 5 WPM code test
right after learning basic character recognition (about two weeks'
effort if you take your time), it would be insane to wait two whole
years to get your General- or Extra-class ham ticket. However, a lot
of wannabe hams out there will probably do just that! It's their
funeral -- they don't know what they're missing!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Oddly enough, I tend to agree. However, it may be worth waiting just long
enough to find out what the FCC is going to do, as right now we don't know
how long the wait will be.

To besmirch someone because they don't, or wait to, upgrade is quite
ridiculous. What if someone is happy with Tech/Tech+, General, etc.?

My husband is a General, has been for I don't know how long, a few years
anyway. I haven't seen a thing he can do that piques my interest enough to
desire an upgrade to do them. In fact, for the past year at least, the
Yaesu 890FT has been completely disconnected (we remodeled this room and the
radio's just never been hooked back up).

People are not missing anything by not upgrading, if the upgraded privileges
don't provide anything more they wish.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via
Complaints to

Old July 20th 03, 02:10 PM
Dave Heil

Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Bitch at me all you want, I'm wearing Nomex underwear.

That has to be uncomfortable.

Dave K8MN
Old July 20th 03, 02:35 PM
Kim W5TIT

writes:

[...]

Dave Heil's a much better challenge!

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via
Complaints to
Old July 20th 03, 05:33 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message

Mike Coslo wrote:

[...]

- Mike KB3EIA -

Are you trolling or asking a question?

Personally, I hope the action takes a lot less time. I hold a CSCE for

General,
and missed Extra by two questions. (Without ever cracking a book.)

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an

outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute

point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

As it is, I am responsible for 4 amateur tickets, mine, two other newbies,
and one renew. There is another newbie taking their test soon.

Mike, some are leaders, and some are sheople. Baaaaaaa.

Bitch at me all you want, I'm wearing Nomex underwear.

Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a book.

Further proof of the dumbing down of the ARS.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 20th 03, 07:09 PM
Dee D. Flint

writes:

[...]

You repeatedly misconstrue what people are saying. None of us ridicules or
besmirches the person who does not upgrade because they have no interest in
the privileges of the higher class. They have achieved their personal goals
regarding ham radio and found their niche. What we oppose is the person
that wants the privileges of the higher class but refuses to do the work to
get them. I know some people that want to be a general but not only have
they been waiting for years for the elimination of the code test but have
refuses to even try.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM