Old July 21st 03, 02:09 AM
Scott Unit 69

Just smile and laugh at Mike, Larry & Dee. These old timers are
set in their ways, and cannot change.

I just have to laugh at their virulent dislike of no-codes.

Sometimes, you just have to poke them the right way to stir them up. :
Old July 21st 03, 02:15 AM
Mike Coslo

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to fast-track
this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could have
been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old, and
won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

THAT'S what I've been trying to get through to some of these good folk!!!!

I didn't get my license until I was in my mid-40's, and now regret I
didn't get it a long time ago. Granted, I didn't get interested in the
ARS until the late 1990's, but if there is any advice I can give the
prospective ham is that "It's too much fun, don't waste ANY time getting
your ticket!"

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

And two years off their life that they could have been on the air.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get

their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs UTC,
any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed of 5
WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by me to
be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one non-voice
mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating time. Wow --
is that a deal or what?

Heheh, Maybe a certificate thing brewing here? 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 21st 03, 02:19 AM
Scott Unit 69

valmont wrote:

Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a book.

Oh come on Scott there are some pretty arcane rules and regulation
questions in that test are you saying you were born knowing the
answers?

I have knowledge beyond my years.

And what's your ham callsign why are you hiding behind your
old CB handle unit 69?

Because of internet stalkers like yourself, George, WA3MOJ.

After all your spamming, flooding and other BS, it ain't being posted.

KMA.
Old July 21st 03, 02:20 AM
Mike Coslo

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , Scott Unit 69
writes:

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an
outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute
point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

Scotty:

Hey, I know what you mean about those darned ole outdated modes
of communication. Once you get your No-Code test General or
Extra, wanna make a sked to work some Hellschreiber with me?

Actually Larry, I might take you up on that one sometime. I've been
wanting to try that mode sometime. I'm swamped now, and I found that I
nuked my card interface ad FD, but in the next couple of weeks.......

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 21st 03, 02:22 AM
Mike Coslo

Steve Robeson, K4CAP wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

I am willing to bet that some sort of "moratorium" on code
testing is announced within the next 60 days. Just an
opinion...nothing certain

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Knowing what I know about how much fun I've had with Amateur
Radio all these years, I'd say do it, get it over with and join the
fun! I liken this to a cure for cancer...Would you delay radiation
therapy in the hopes that "the" cure would be forthcoming
"tomorrow"...?!?!

I've never looked at it that way, but that's a good analogy.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 21st 03, 02:26 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Just smile and laugh at Mike, Larry & Dee. These old timers are
set in their ways, and cannot change.

I just have to laugh at their virulent dislike of no-codes.

Sometimes, you just have to poke them the right way to stir them up. :

Shows how little you know. If you're smart enough to dig out the info, you
will find that I am a long way from being able to qualify as an old timer.
I've learned through personal practice and experience as to what works when
and under what conditions. It is based on experience that I believe all
hams should learn the basics of code. I've used many of the digital modes
to be sure I understood their advantages and disadvantages, although these
modes are not interesting to me. It is on my personal development plan to
do the same with PSK31, the current "flavor of the month."

I have never, ever disliked no-codes. We have some many fine ones in our
club. Those who are interested in HF are studying to upgrade. Those who
are not interested in HF are fine too. Our satellite experts happen to be
no-codes. If I want to know anything about satellites (if ever I choose to
invest in the equipment), I will consult them on their experiences and
follow their recommendations. That they are no-codes and I'm an Extra (from
before restructuring) is unimportant and irrelevant. In that particular
area they are the experts with hands on experience while my knowledge in
this area is limited to book learning. I have no problem whatsoever
acknowledging that expertise. The only no-codes that I find objectionable
are those who want the privileges of a higher class without meeting the
requirements. Waiting for requirements to change is simply wasting one's
time even though they are now likely to change.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 21st 03, 02:29 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:

From: "Dee D. Flint" deehays

So what do you plan to do to recruit people to Morse code. If want

others

to use it, you have the responsibility

No, what I meant is that its a better situation for me if more Hams use

Morse

code. For one thing, I won't be talking to them. But, I'm not going to go

and

recruit people to use Morse code.

You want other hams to use Morse so you don't have to talk to them. That's
extremely anti-social on your part and totally opposite of your previously
stated desires that you would like to get hams to be more social.

Trolls will say anything to get a response.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 21st 03, 04:06 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

People are not missing anything by not upgrading, if the upgraded privileges
don't provide anything more they wish.

Kim:

Well, that's *your* excuse. It seems to be working for you. Hold on
to it, it's all you've got.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM