Old July 22nd 03, 12:37 AM
Vshah101

From: Dave Heil k8mn

I don't want to talk to some older males. Thats not anti-social.

If we go by your rules, it certainly is.

Its still consistent. Those Hams are on the radio, not in person. For example,
those Hams at the "DXpedition" contacted other (anti-social) Hams on Sat night,
but did not meet anyone in person.

That has nothing to do with the technical part of the hobby. The technical part
occurred during the antenna and equipment setup. There was plenty of operating
during the day, so operating on Sat night more represented the social aspect
more than any technical aspect. Therefore, this is how those Hams spent their
Sat night. Seems anti-social to me.

You didn't go on a DXpedition.

They called it a DXpedition.

Many Hams will work DX. They get a thrill from that. But, they won't talk

the person next door or to anyone in person.

Your record is stuck, Vipul. Your claim is simply another tired
stereotype offered without proof of any kind.

I gave an example above where the Hams contacted people through the radio, but
did not meet anyone in person. (Probably avoided it). This was not my local
club. It was a random group of Hams.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:52 AM
Jim Hampton

160, here we come

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"N2EY" wrote in message
One thing I forgot to put in previous post:

The peak of the sunspot cycle is past, and we're heading full-tilt into

sunspot
minimum. Conditions on HF will be quite different than some folks are used

to,
particularly on the bands above 10 MHz, at night, and in the winter.

73 de Jim, N2EY

---

Old July 22nd 03, 02:22 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Dee, I don't think I am miscontrueing a thing. It baffles me to no end

that
it would actually bother someone to have another wait for their

opportunity
to come along. I see nothing at all wrong with someone waiting until
testing requirements meet *their* expectations.

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

Hey, I'd like a Ph. D in Electrical Engineering. How long do you think
I'll have to wait for the testing requirements to be reduced to a

50-question
multiple guess with a passing score of 70%, with an open question
pool and no dissertation required?

I don't know, Larry. But why would you take even more time to study--even
minimal requirements--when you already have a degree you don't utilize? It
would take a lot less time and effort if you just use that degree and get a
job with it.

Since I'll never actually do any
electrical engineering, those are my expectations of what the testing
requirements should be. So, whaddya say -- 5 years? More? Less?

73 de Larry, K3LT

You wouldn't use it any way, so it probably doesn't matter. But, if you
want to wait, you go right ahead.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to

Old July 22nd 03, 02:25 AM
Kim W5TIT

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

It baffles me to no end that
it would actually bother someone to have another wait for their

opportunity
to come along. I see nothing at all wrong with someone waiting until
testing requirements meet *their* expectations.

It's kinda like saying "I'm not going to buy a (new computer, digital

camera,
PDA, flatscreen TV/monitor, MP3 player, etc., etc.) until the price drops

below
X dollars", isn't it?

In fact, might not part of the driving force behind a "wait and see"

policy?
One of the best ways to kill a sale of items like the ones above is to say
"there's a new model coming out soon that will do more and cost less".

True story: Close friend of mine needed a PDA for work. Everybody at her
workplace uses iPaqs, so she goes to the local computer store and gets one

at a
discount. It's the demo model, last one in the store. Takes it home,

installs
hardware and software, struggles with it, dern thing won't sync with her

PC no
matter what she does. Takes it back, store tech says it's a defective

cradle
and she gets a full refund.

Two weeks later goes back to the same store and gets a brand new iPaq, no
discount, with more features, longer life battery, yada yada - for less

money.
Works perfectly.

73 de Jim, N2EY

And, so will our ham bands. The only plus is that maybe the whiners will
stay off...

Kim W5TIT

---
Old July 22nd 03, 03:27 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Probably they are hams that cannot speak very well or have terrible voices
eh??

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Morse
code. For one thing, I won't be talking to them. But, I'm not going to

go
and
recruit people to use Morse code.

You want other hams to use Morse so you don't have to talk to them.

That's
extremely anti-social on your part and totally opposite of your previously
stated desires that you would like to get hams to be more social.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 22nd 03, 03:37 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

From: "Dee D. Flint"

You want other hams to use Morse so you don't have to talk to them.

That's
extremely anti-social on your part and totally opposite of your

previously
stated desires that you would like to get hams to be more social.

I don't want to talk to some older males. Thats not anti-social.

Same with me too.... but there are some that I would like to talk to as
well, but I would definitely love to see more women on the air!

And they are there Fri, Sat night on several bands, including 40m, 2m, and

ATV.
I know from the DXpedition in May.

Many Hams will work DX. They get a thrill from that. But, they won't talk

the person next door or to anyone in person. Thats why a local Ham's

neighbor
complained that the Ham has too many antennas at his house.

That is something I have observed as well..... kinda like the addage, "I am
a ham operator, I have friends all over the world, but none in my backyard!"
I believe (IMHO) that we should work outward from where we are getting to
know our nieghbors first, and working out like the ripples in a pond after a
rock is thrown into it. My personal preference is to get to know a person
for who they are, what they are passionate and interested about,
likes/dislikes etc., for the times when I am not operating in a public
service/emergency communications setting.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Old July 22nd 03, 04:00 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

I suppose Larry will never consider me a fully-fledged ham, even with 20
wpm, 'cause I operate 100% phone, LOL.

Alun, my opinion of you as a ham is not dependant on your usage of CW.
All I ask is that you don't whine about it, and that as a ham, you make an
effort to do something more challenging than just yakking into a
microphone. That would imply the use of at least one digital mode. CW
operation would be the icing on the cake, and go a long way to impress
me.

(seriously asking this question)
So if a person is getting into technical research, project building of any
kind (generically speaking), or any other strong contribution to amateur
radio, but DOES like to "yakking into a microphone" whilst on the air is a
bad thing?

Just curious,

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM