Old June 14th 04, 03:53 AM
Mike Coslo

Alun wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Da Shadow wrote:

But there are strong recommendations from the various Amateur Radio
Socities that you do.

And I have heard many times in pile-ups --- ITU Phonetics only and
some DX operators won't answer you with any other phonetics.

--
Lamont Cranston

Wow, it must be something for these "operators" to be so anal! If
person only answers me because I speak a certain way, then I'll forgo
their blessed contact.

- Mike KB3EIA -

If they don't know much English, it's a bit rough on them to use non-
standard words, and even if they do, it increases the chance of a busted
call in the log.

Quite possibly. I use the so called "proper" phonetics myself (though
prefering plain callsigns).

I'm just not terribly into telling people what they can or can't say on
the air as long as it is decent language.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 14th 04, 04:00 AM
Len Over 21

In article , PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

After you've lived and experienced a few eras in anything, you'll
find lots and lots of "experts" in that anything, who either "know
all about (from reading a book or seeing a movie)" or are some-
how so gifted in their relative youth that they are divine
messengers sent to enlighten all the hoi polloi and the koi.
:-)

You forgot to add:

"Someone that has a main purpose here of antagonizing people into
e-battles as a master troll." And in this case, his lack of experience
in certain areas only serves as more bait.

Well, if the shoe fits...

I for one, am impressed by just how GOOD Mr. Anderson is at this!

I'm not.

Awwwww... :-)

You
(or anyone here) know what will happen when you rise to the bait, you
know pretty much what the resulting exchange will be, and yet it is
irresistable.

Naw, it's totally resistible. And predictable.

Rev. Jim just CAN'T resist, can he? :-)

Whereas most antagonists eventually find no one to write to in a news
group, Len has managed to generate enough interest to make himself and
those who would spar with him into some of the leading posters.

Nothing new there, Mike.

This is no small accomplishment. I for one have to respect that.

I don't.

Awwwww... :-)

There's nothing to respect or admire able about being able to tear down,
insult, and destroy - or attempt to.

Yup, yup, the "good old days" of classic amateur CW" are going
down the tubes and the righteous Rev. Jim is invoking the wrath
of the ham gods against those anti-CW heretic unbelievers!

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Here's a classic for ya - I call it "the sphincter post":

Rev. Jim has lots of "sphincter" problems, do he? :-)

Hoo, hoo...the Extra Double Standard is in full swing again!

Now the SUBJECT thread here is about phonetic alphabets but
Rev. Jim is way into the hellfire and damnation of the unbelievers
wishing to smite all heretics anywhichway he can. Subject, no,
attacking personalities, yes. :-)

He is on a roll and keeps forgetting he slips on the butter. :-)

LHA / WMD
Old June 14th 04, 04:00 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
(jumping in on the Sermon On The Antenna
Mount trolling) writes:

Awww...poor Mike got his ego perceived as stepped on?

Absolutely not! I was complementing you on something. You are pretty
good at this.

Those replies "just seem to write themselves..." :-)

About two decades ago I started computer-modem communications.
I've seen and met lots of discussors and just dis-cussers in person
via the BBS gatherings. How folks write here is indicative of how
they really feel, up close and personal. :-)

Got a tad off the subject into Personal Hatred, dintcha? :-)

I hate almost no one. Whether you like it or not, I like you.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Mike. Your words in other messages betray you...

It is totally irrelevant whether anyone is "liked" or not. This is
computer-modem comms and the in-person social rules don't
apply here. The SUBJECT is the thing, but so few beginners
can't grasp that. [so few have been in real debate so they are
inexperienced]

The SUBJECT title is about phonetic alphabets. It isn't about
"being liked" or "being disliked." On the phonetics, some folks
don't like phonetic alphabets, others think they belong...a sort of
quasi-jargon to hang with all the others. Me, I got them way,
way back as part of the military procedures, used them, and
the NATO set has become standard for me and I think nothing
more about it.

Perhaps one exception: "One-three-whiskey at the brewery"
has two sets of meanings to anyone on normal downwind leg
at VNY. [Anheiser-Busch brewery is just across the runways
from the VNY tower...controllers know it, so do all the local
pilots...:-) ]

LHA / WMD
Old June 14th 04, 04:34 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

Subject: Temper Fry, Was Able Baker Charlie
From:
(William)
Date: 6/12/2004 5:34 PM Central Standard Time
(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message
Subject: Able Baker Charlie
From:
(William)
Date: 6/11/2004 11:50 AM Central Standard Time

I'm going to start a new fenetic alfabet:

ahoy
boy...(SNIP)

Ebonics goes Caucasian. Why am I not surprised Son Of Lennie came

up
with it?

Steve, K4YZ

Steve, no thanks for the private email, even though I've asked you
repeatedly not to communicate with me privately. I really do prefer
to keep all comms with you strictly public. You broke the rules, but
certainly in keeping with your mode of operation.

No problem, Brain.

YOU made promises about certain "private" e mails before that you
overtly broke...

Just like your mentor...

Poor baby. Still fretting over AOL tossing off your private home page
that was totally libelous? :-)

And all because of a simple mistake in private e-mails which nursie
complained long and loudly about in public in here? :-)

PCTA Exta double standard at work. QED.

Len, I don't see Steve's post in Google. Is he using the "no
archive?"

Dunno...haven't been in Google for months and months. No reason
to go there for this newsgroup. :-)

Can't blame him what with such a litiguous society.

I doubt he understands that he could be sued. In his reality, he
is absolutely and totally "correct" and any opposition is terribly
"wrong." Ergo, he is not ever going to be sued by anyone.

AOL knows that. :-) They took down his libelous Home Page
as soon as I made them aware of it... :-)

So how is it that you can call people liars all day long, give people
a deadline to produce some google search, hound and hound those who
disagree with you, and in general be the sweetheart pariah of the
PCTA?

But when someone else calls you a liar, when you have lied, you
threaten a summons. Are you nuts? No. Don't answer that question.
I don't want any more lies out of you.

I've not uttered any lies here, Brain.

"Sorry Hans, MARS IS amateur radio!" :-)

You've made THAT accusation before and never substantiated it. Just
like you've never justified ANY of the claims YOU'VE made.

Nursie never ever do anything wrong. Everyone else do wrong! :-)

He's an idiot.

I'll be kinder. He is stuck in that alternate reality where he is always
right and never has to answer to anyone else. He hasn't understood
that everyone else lives in the real reality. :-)

You make accusations and claims you don't justify then cry "foul!"

when
you get spoon fed your own silliness.

Sucks to be you, Brain. Seems it's a well worn path, though.

More "meaningful discourse." :-)

Len, I've always said that my /T5 logs are in storage. A simple 5
minute google search could have borne that out. But Steve had to make
up stories. Untrue stories. They're not lost, never have been. And
I know that Steve and Kelly aren't in them because I didn't work any
USA stations.

Half of the Gang of Four still want your head on a platter for even
being IN that country and because you talked back to them. Those
PCTAs can say and do anything they want but NOBODY can talk
back to them without incurring their divine wrath. shrug

So congratulations on earning persona non grata. You've truly worked
hard at ii. Earned, Never Given.

According to YOU...?!?!

HAH!

And FWIW, the fenetic alfabet was a joke, but leave it to the mentally
impaired to think is was a serious effort.

I KNOW it was a joke. I have yet to see a whole lot come out of you
that I could take seriously. How could I?

Sayonara and have a great life.

As long as I have folks like you and Lennie against which I can

benchmark
what is bad as compared to what is good, it IS a great life.

You REALLY don't get it, do you?

Nobody does. Nursie's personal reality is there and this is
it for him.

Nobody does. Nobody "gets it." Hannibal Lector might get it, but I
don't.

Maybe nursie grows his own cilantro. "Tastes slurp good with a
little cilantro..."

Meanwhile, DoD Directive 4650.2, AR 25-4, NTP 8(C) are still
there, defining and regulating MARS for the Military.

Sad that Steve can't read, can't google. It would save him a lot of
grief. He can only make untrue accusations about sexual orientation
and preferences for minors.

Anyone who doesn't think and do exactly as him is "perverse."

NATO did adopt its phonetic alphabet in 1955...the next to the
last year I was on active duty in the U.S. Army.

Why didn't they just wait for IGY?

NATO, not NASA. Remember what happened to the all-USA-made
Viking Rocket? That was NASA's and Martin's... :-)

None of that happened according to nursie. All of us "Lie."
The real truth is in his imagination. Tsk, tsk.

He has demons inside.

Maybe he uses a mouth wash and gargoyles after that?

:-)

Or, post-traumatic stress disorder after all those "hostile actions?"

LHA / WMD

Old June 14th 04, 05:12 AM
Mike Coslo

Len Over 21 wrote:

Mount trolling) writes:

Awww...poor Mike got his ego perceived as stepped on?

Absolutely not! I was complementing you on something. You are pretty
good at this.

Those replies "just seem to write themselves..." :-)

About two decades ago I started computer-modem communications.

Those days were something by comparison. Phone cradle modems and slow
as molasses. Can't say as I'm all that sorry they are gone.

I've seen and met lots of discussors and just dis-cussers in person
via the BBS gatherings.

Yeah, me too.

How folks write here is indicative of how
they really feel, up close and personal. :-)

You are 100 percent correct.

Got a tad off the subject into Personal Hatred, dintcha? :-)

I hate almost no one. Whether you like it or not, I like you.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Mike. Your words in other messages betray you...

I'm sorry you feel that way.

It is totally irrelevant whether anyone is "liked" or not.

100 percent correct. That doesn't change the fact that I do like you.

This is
computer-modem comms and the in-person social rules don't
apply here.

If you do not wish them to apply to you, they don't have to. You are
the master of what you say and do in person or in a newsgroup.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Kiki-Bueno-3-Encarta-Insipid-Autogyro

hmmm, that's beginning to sound like some of the spam I've been getting
lately! 8^)

Old June 14th 04, 05:15 AM
Mike Coslo

Phil Kane wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:52:22 -0400, Mike Coslo wrote:

I prefer that people simply say their callsign to me. Phonetics annoy
me mostly. When they use their phonetics, are they practicing courtesy
to me?

We have an individual (respected old-timer at that) who, when he
takes his turn-in-the-barrel as net control of our daily ARES/RACES
check-in, gets confused over people's call signs regardless of
whether phonetics are used or not, and even if one identifies with
phonetics, he will acknowledge with some ad-hoc inconsistent mixture
of ITU, old military, and old telco (cities) phonetics.

For one, it drives me nuts even though he's a nice guy.

And on another score, the last letter in my call is "P", and how can
"pa-PA" - or even the popular pronunciation "poppuh" be confused with
"Japan" ??

pa-PA could under some circumstances sound a teeny bit like Japan if
some one pronounced it Jaw-pawn. Who would do that, I'm not sure.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 14th 04, 10:58 AM
N2EY

Y'know, with all this discussion about different phonetic alphabets, people
confusing "Papa" with "Japan" and DX/contest folks using a completely different
set and being cornfuzed by anything else, it makes me wonder.

Doesn't all this add up to 'phone modes being "slow", "limited" and
"error-prone"?

73 de Jim, N2EY