Old July 15th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default I remember!

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:47:04 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Most of the shows I referred to were not network shows.

Do you find it somewhat ironic that the only broadcast network shows
that you mentioned are Fox Network shows?
Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net
Old July 15th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:42:49 -0400, Carter-k8vt
wrote:

PS: Stan Freberg was a master at offending people with G-rated material.

Which proves that it CAN be done without resorting to trash talk. Back
when men were men and it was the REAL Golden Age. ;-)

I think that, given the dumbing-down of the populace through
government controlled education, if there were someone of Freberg's
talent, there would not be a large enough audience of people who would
understand him.

Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net
Old July 15th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:26:52 -0700, "Phil Nelson"
wrote:

Nobody in Salt Lake ever locked their doors

Don't tell anyone, but in our previous old country-ish house outside Redmond
WA, we never locked the doors. Too far off the path for anyone to bother.
Plus, we had neighbors with guns.

When we left on a longer vacation, I would make a show of locking the front
door, to instruct our kids that locking up is a Good Thing, but a child
could have gotten into the house within a minute or two.

Phil Nelson

I grew up in Jersen City, NJ. In recent years this has been a very
high crime area.

Growing up, we never locked the doors, except when we were out of
town. In the period up to about 1956, I cannot recall anyone that I
knew having been a victim of burglary, mugging or any other crime,
other than a minor con job.
Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net
Old July 15th 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Most of the shows I referred to were not network shows.

Do you find it somewhat ironic that the only broadcast network
shows you mentioned are Fox Network shows?

I was aware of that when I posted. Technically, Fox is a network, but not
one of The Big Three. Fox has a bad reputation for putting on innovative
programming (The Tick, Brisco County), then abandoning it.

Old July 16th 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

wrote:

Most of the shows I referred to were not network shows.

Do you find it somewhat ironic that the only broadcast network shows
that you mentioned are Fox Network shows?

No, that's where the balance is in "Fair and Balanced". Lord knows all Blue
Staters who don't love war are pantywaists if you watch the news coverage.
Besides, "South Park" is an unabashedly right of center show. In the second
"South Park" movie they kill off Tim Robbins and Alex Baldwin gleefully
after making fools of them. When the people of South Park decide to all
drive hybrids they create a cloud of toxic "smug" (sic) gas and end up
smashing them all.

John H.

Old July 16th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Do you find it somewhat ironic that the only broadcast network
shows that you mentioned are Fox Network shows?

No, that's where the balance is in "Fair and Balanced". Lord knows
all Blue Staters who don't love war are pantywaists if you watch the
news coverage. Besides, "South Park" is an unabashedly right of
center show. In the second "South Park" movie they kill off Tim
Robbins and Alex Baldwin gleefully after making fools of them.

There is no second South Park movie. You're thinking of Team America, an
attack on America's smug sense of self-righteousness and exclusionary
philosophy, a decidedly left-of-center view. Their attempt to balance this
by making the Hollywood left look foolish (in the context of tearing down
our favorite Korean leader) is highly strained, to say the least.

I'm not sure South Park is as "right of center" as you think. It seems to be
more interested in attacking what the creators see as "stupidity" or
self-serving behavior, rather than left-of-center views, per se. It's also
worth noting that South Park is also unabashedly pro-gay.

When the people of South Park decide to all drive hybrids they create
a cloud of toxic "smug" (sic) gas and end up smashing them all.

A recent survey revealed that most hybrid owners bought the cars because
they're trendy. South Park guessed correctly.

Old July 16th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I've said it before and I will repeat that this is one of the
fundamental changes as we went from the "I Love Lucy"
world to the "All in the Family" world.

The "I Love Lucy" world was a fantasy world that never existed.

Well, literally, no. Even when I was a wee tot, I didn't know anyone's
Dad who wore a jacket or tie at home. But, people dressed up to go out
of the house, girls were required to wear dresses in school (no pants),
boys hair was to be above the collar, etc. Service station attendents
wore bow tie and were courteous, rather than disinterested or surly.
Even if they had existed, nobody would play a boom box loudly on a
public bus. People may have disagreed with their government, but they
had a certain fundamental trust in it none the less. The same goes with
network news broadcasts.

Yes, there were rough neighborhoods, drugs, adultery, prostitution, the
Mafia, theft, corruption, etc. But there was still a social norm that
didn't allow skanky rich sluts to be the focus of national news, for
example.

Children were, in general, much, much better behaved, and their parents
made it so. To paraphrase Garrison Keillor, if a you were a child, and a
strange woman on the street told you to blow your nose, you blew!

That's what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Dave
Old July 16th 07, 07:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

DaveW wrote:

Well, literally, no. Even when I was a wee tot, I didn't know anyone's
Dad who wore a jacket or tie at home. But, people dressed up to go out
of the house, girls were required to wear dresses in school (no pants),
boys hair was to be above the collar, etc. Service station attendents
wore bow tie and were courteous, rather than disinterested or surly.

The owner of a local station still pumps the gas for you, but he
doesn't wear a bow tie or jacket in the 100 degree Florida sun. He
still uses a pile of receipt books for his business customers to fill up
their work trucks, and pay weekly, or monthly. He's told me several
times that he would do the same for me, as long as I paid promptly on
the first of the month.

ALL stations here are supposed to pump gas for the handicapped
drivers, but you might have to wait quite a while, till they can get
away from the counter for a few minutes.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 16th 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DaveW wrote:

[...]

In Oregon, they still pump the gas for everyone. It's the law. But about the
only stations you get any other service from are Chevron stations, and you
pay about 30 cents a gallon more for gas to get that service.

Old July 16th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

DaveW wrote:

[...]

.... they don't have split prices here anymore ... I use Chevron exclusively
and
they haven't washed my windshield in years ....

Remember This? Howard W3CQH Policy 9 August 26th 06 05:16 PM
Remember TheMonger CB 6 July 28th 06 10:44 PM
Remember? dxAce Shortwave 11 August 24th 04 06:54 PM
Anyone Remember This???? Donnie CB 15 October 15th 03 03:22 AM
OT - Do you remember? Keith Hosman CB 0 July 26th 03 12:18 PM