Old September 25th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio means Half Dead radio

Steve wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:11 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007. The ones out
there still bite big time, and the first generation of really good ones will
come sometime in mid-2008.

Not according to iBiquity, which maintains that the BA Receptor was
the best HD AM portable achievable.

I predict another rough day for 'Eduardo'...

Old September 25th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 25, 6:48 am, Steve wrote:

Not according to iBiquity, which maintains that the BA Receptor was
the best HD AM portable achievable.

Probably using the current chip design. Which is still not saying
much.

Supposedly they're still working on a second generation design. Maybe
they should have waited a bit more till the receivers were perfected
before rolling this stuff out on the consumer market.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old September 25th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default News Flash - d'Eduardo Admits - HD Radios "Bite Big Time" !

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:14:36 -0700, RHF
wrote:

On Sep 24, 9:11 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

- I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007.

- The ones out there still bite big time,

News Flash - d'Eduardo Admits - HD Radios "Bite Big Time" !

- and the first generation of really good ones
- will come sometime in mid-2008.

The worst thing you can do when debuting a new technology is give crap
to the early adopters (who tend to spread the word).
Old September 25th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

oups.com...
"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007. The ones
out
there still bite big time, and the first generation of really good ones
will
come sometime in mid-2008.

Not according to iBiquity, which maintains that the BA Receptor was
the best HD AM portable achievable.

It's not a portable.

Old September 25th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" wrote in message
ps.com...

The investment in equipment in the top markets is minimal. As I
mentioned,
in LA we spent 10 times as much on the new studio for one morning show as
the HD gear for all 5 of our signals.

That's not what the major stations in the LA market reporting. You
might want to check your facts again.

I was not speaking of other stations. Our station cluster in LA spent about
10 times more on one single broadcast studio than it did to put HD on all 5
of our transmitters. Heck, the studio lights in that studio cost more than
the HD on KRCD.

There was no expenditure on ad time by the HD Alliance. It is all based
on
the value of time on the Alliance stations themselves.- Hide quoted
text -

This is incorrect. The HD Alliance reports that a very large amount of
money was used to purchase ad time.

No, there was no cash spent. Each member committed to giving a certain VALUE
in ad time to HD promotion on its own stations. There is no out of pocket
cost in giving your own time to a particular purpose.

Old September 25th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007. The ones
out
there still bite big time, and the first generation of really good ones
will
come sometime in mid-2008.

Not according to iBiquity, which maintains that the BA Receptor was
the best HD AM portable achievable.

I predict another rough day for 'Eduardo'...

Nope, rough for Stevearino.

1. Receptor is not a portable.He says it it.
2. He lied about HD Alliance ad expenditure
3. He is clueless about cost of going HD vs. normal engineering capital
items.

Old September 25th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 25, 6:48 am, Steve wrote:

Not according to iBiquity, which maintains that the BA Receptor was
the best HD AM portable achievable.

Probably using the current chip design. Which is still not saying
much.

The receptor, of course, is not portable.

Supposedly they're still working on a second generation design. Maybe
they should have waited a bit more till the receivers were perfected
before rolling this stuff out on the consumer market.

We are headed towards a 4th generation chipset next year.

Old September 25th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

- I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007.

- The ones out there still bite big time,

News Flash - d'Eduardo Admits - HD Radios "Bite Big Time" !

- and the first generation of really good ones
- will come sometime in mid-2008.

The worst thing you can do when debuting a new technology is give crap
to the early adopters (who tend to spread the word).

My first CD player was crap.... and cost $1400. I can say that about nearly
every totally new product. Early XM and Sirius receivers were vastly less
effective than current ones, too.

Old September 25th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. ..

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
I like this response:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having the balls to challenge Ibiquity and the NAB.
They are doing serious damage to our once great industry.

Bring broadcasters back to broadcasting otherwise you may as well
sign the stations off.

September 21, 2007 3:04 PM

Hmmmmm...

That's IF the broadcasters want to stick exclusively with broadcasting,

at
least free broadcasting. Consider that the broadcasters have spent
millions
on IBOC radio interference transmitter equipment and only a pittance on

HD
radio content. And they've spent millions more on advertising HD radio
before adaquate mass market radios were available.

The investment in equipment in the top markets is minimal. As I mentioned,
in LA we spent 10 times as much on the new studio for one morning show as
the HD gear for all 5 of our signals.

Yes, but that wasn't the comparision. How much had been spent on HD radio
content compared to how much had been spent on IBOC hardware?

And, to get to the point, there would have been good promotional value if
the HD radio early adoptors had something special to listen to, and maybe
brag about.

HD radio won't get many more chances to make a good first impression.

The principal objective of HD for us is to put out a digital FM signal; in
LA it is very much less susceptable to multipath. HD2 is a side benefit,

but
not critical at this time.

But people have to at least hear the radios to appreciate any difference.
The market for "crystal clear" simulcasts at high prices is obviously and
predictably small. Better radios at lower prices and worthwhile HD radio
programming would have sold plenty more radios.

Not to say that I have any idea if such a rollout would have been worth it.
The idea of putting more channels on the air without a corresponding
increase in overall listenership and advertising revenues seems
problematical to me but I'm just some guy with a radio, hearing the damn
noise nobody listens to.

There was no expenditure on ad time by the HD Alliance. It is all based on
the value of time on the Alliance stations themselves.

The ads were on the air and from the radio buying public's point of view, it
doesn't matter how they were paid for.

Frank Dresser

Old September 25th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 25, 10:39 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

The promotions are being dropped by stations at end-of-year because
they were ineffectual because consumers don't give an ass's **** about
HD Radio:

"HD Radio Marketing: Change is Coming"

"The date is no surprise. It was a 2-year deal. It ends in January.I
agree it's time to re-assess. The problem with the licensing plan is
two very different groups with different agendas pay the fee. Which is
why neither is happy. Broadcasters pay for the encoder, and they're
not happy with the radios, and electronics manufacturers pay for the
decoder, and they're not happy with anything. They see no demand, and
therefore, no return on their investment.I think the best bet is for
everyone to walk away at the end of this deal, and leave iBiquity to
think about what went wrong."

"Maybe the date is no surprise to you, George. But the lack of renewal
of that deal for a later date might be a surprise to some."

http://www.hear2.com/2007/07/hd-radi....html#comments