Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie ?:Are Kaito radios any good?

I recently bought a Kaito KA11 Am/Fm/SW radio. It is small, has
digital tuning and scanning and I thought it would be a nice radio to
start out with. I think I made a mistake.

I have never had such a hard time programming a radio. You have to
keep taking the batteries out and then try and hit certain keys within
a second or two once you put them back in. Ths sound quality is not
that good either.

While I can get a few things on SW, lots of stuff on FM (even though
it does not sound that good) I cannot get anything on AM except
static. It has a metal anntenna and also comes with an external wire
antenna. Is that what I am supposed to use to get AM stations? I sure
hope not as my other radios only use the telescoping antennas and AM
comes in fine. Any ideas on why I cannot get any AM stations with this
when I can with cheaper pocket radios? Here is what I have and
hopefully someone here can give me your thoughts on this radio:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm

Lastly, I cannot afford alot. Can someone recommend a good small radio
I could carry with me, something that offers digital tuning, manual or
auto scanning and memory to set lots of favorite channels?

Thanks,
Haci