Old November 23rd 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave for cars?

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
On 11/21/09 18:55 , Bill Baka wrote:

Has anyone seen any shortwave radios in cars lately? I remember a few
from across the pond back in the 60's but it seems to have died out as a
fad. I would like to put one in one of my cars rather than a boom box
thing and be able to tune the world from wherever I find myself.
The other advantage is that I can drive to a spot with no power lines
for miles at night to listen relatively static free. I could (in theory)
take a long wire on a fishing pole (28-32AWG?) and put on a disposable
weight and toss it as far as possible into some high trees. Once it is
stuck firmly just back the car up until the whole spool is used up and
connect the car antenna to it.
Anybody tried it or anything like it?

Bill Baka

I have a Becker 2340 I used in my 308 for years. That was the
last aftermarket radio I saw with SW. I've heard tell of some
Sony's, but not being interested in anything from Sony, I never
pursued them.

The Becker offered excellent SW performance on the car's antenna.
A little ignition noise in deep fades, but not enough to complain
about. The injectors on 18 wheelers were more of a problem than
ignition noise. It has 40 or so memories. And exceptional audio.

As for driving out into the weeds...we had a member of this
group, living in Colorado, who used to drive out into Wyoming and
about two miles outside of Jackson Hole would hook his SW-2 up to
the guard rail and use that as a makeshift pseudo Beverage.

With dramatic results.

But attaching anything to your car radio antenna will not get you
where you want to go.

A car antenna does not really operate as an antenna. It's too
short for medium wave. It operates more like a capacitive element,
and is trimmed at the input to optimize performance. Attach a wire
to the car antenna, and you'll change it's capacitive value, and
throw your input out of balance. You're also likely to change that
whip into something that behaves more like a real antenna and
seriously overload your front end. On some models this can be
disastrous.

A better option would be to see if you can find an in-dash on the
used market, or take something like an SW-8 with you, mount it
underdash and enjoy it as a real shortwave receiver with a separate
antenna system.

That was a great post Peter. I liked the guardrail story.:-)

My friend hooked onto the railroad tracks once before keying up a lot
of wattage on his CB, he used the RR tracks as his ground.shaking my
head

I really never thought about hooking to the RR tracks for a shortwave
antenna, what do you think the results would be?

Not sure. That would be the fun of the experiment. It may be
little different than the guard rail. It may be something entirely
different. The results should be unexpected and dramatic.

What type of car were you refering to when you said "308"?? Just
curious.

Think "Magnum PI."

Great car. As I recall it was a 308GTBI, or like that? I went to the factory and
saw them built right along with my once loved FIAT X1/9 !!!

Magnum's was a 308 GTS. The 'B' was for the Berlinetta, the hard
top, and 'I' was for injection. His was a GTS(pyder), carbureted.

Mine was the 308 GTSI-QV. Mine was injected, 32 valve on the same
3.0L V-8. It wasn't quick, but it was FAST. And serious fun to drive.

You had an X1/9? Excellent.

Old November 23rd 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, metallic black, 1979 version as I recall, with the more integrated bumpers. A
great car, put at least 170k plus on it from coast to coast.

Excellent.

Old November 23rd 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

That's actually pretty good for that engine. It wasn't known for
longevity.

170k is a serious amount of driving fun. I'd say you got your
money out of it. You got everybody's money out of it.

Nicely done.

Excellent.

Old November 23rd 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The car always started with just a click of the key. Never a problem. It was the
undercarriage that failed.

Old November 23rd 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:

Really. In what way?

Old November 23rd 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What if the car has no frame?
I am talkin about metal frames.
Seen any Morgan cars lately? They build them in Limeyland.

Guten Tag,,, Guten Morgen.
cuhulin, the ass, but not a drug addled ass

Old November 23rd 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

If you recall the design it had a trunk in the front as well as the rear. What happened to
mine was that moisture up under the front apparently rotted out the area that supported the
front struts.

Old November 23rd 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

No kidding. Damn. You're lucky something didn't let go on the road.

I've only encountered dramatic rust like that once. On a Renault
R-5.

Old November 23rd 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Places where they use salt on the roads, bridges, wherever, Coastal
areas too, in the Winter time, cars and trucks rust out pretty
fast.(Rust Buckets, Rust never sleeps) Around here they use sand instead
of salt.Howsomever, about a year or so ago, I read somewhere they might
start mixing salt into the sand.That is a DUMB idea!

Y'all should look around under your vehicles every once in a while and
spray that salt s.hit off of there.
cuhulin

Old November 23rd 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:

I looked and like the radios but I am only looking for a receiver and
don't want to spend a ton of money. Also, any decent mobile should have
a noise blanker, not just a limiter. I did like the built in antenna
tuner but it seems a transmitter would be needed to optimize things.
Thanks,

Those were just examples. There are many old rigs, Icom's 706 has gone through
3 or 4 generations, the low power version (703) has gone through 2 or 3,
Alinco and Kenwood have also made similar rigs, Yaseu has made 2 versions of
the 817 and so on.

While the new ones are expensive, some of the older ones may be available
a lot cheaper.

Depending upon which one you get, you can get various filter options or DSP.

For example, there were two Kenwood TS-50s HF rigs which sold on eBay for
less than $500 in the last week. While I am not a fan of eBay, that should
be a good guage of the price.

An original (no DSP) IC-706 sold for around the same price. It adds VHF
coverage and possibly can be used as a scanner. The latest version (mark IIG)
includes VHF and UHF, DSP and receives from .03-199 and 400-470 MHz.

The ICOM and Kenwood are two piece units, the front panel comes off and can
be mounted in the passenger compartment, while the transmitter is mounted
in the trunk. The Yaseu is one single unit.

Geoff.

Geoff,
Think receiver and we are on the same page. If I got into chatting on a
transceiver my wife would have to send out the search party. Some of the
rigs you mentioned I have seen, some not.
Thanks again,
Bill Baka

European Shortwave Bands In Cars Station X[_2_] Shortwave 9 September 3rd 09 01:49 PM
Top Three Best Electric Cars [email protected] Equipment 0 November 26th 07 03:00 AM
killing cars with RF? KE5MBX Dx 13 February 27th 07 06:43 AM
New source for shortwave for cars? jtaylor Shortwave 1 October 14th 04 10:52 PM
Antenna for cars Svein Tore Sølvik Scanner 2 July 8th 04 12:17 AM