Old November 24th 09, 09:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave for cars?

On Nov 23, 4:13*pm, Bill Baka wrote:
Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 1:02 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 11/21/09 18:55 , Bill Baka wrote:
Has anyone seen any shortwave radios in cars lately? I remember a few
from across the pond back in the 60's but it seems to have died out as a
fad. I would like to put one in one of my cars rather than a boom box
thing and be able to tune the world from wherever I find myself.
The other advantage is that I can drive to a spot with no power lines
for miles at night to listen relatively static free. I could (in theory)
take a long wire on a fishing pole (28-32AWG?) and put on a disposable
weight and toss it as far as possible into some high trees. Once it is
stuck firmly just back the car up until the whole spool is used up and
connect the car antenna to it.
Anybody tried it or anything like it?
Bill Baka
* I have a Becker 2340 I used in my 308 for years. That was the last
aftermarket radio I saw with SW. I've heard tell of some Sony's, but not
being interested in anything from Sony, I never pursued them.
* The Becker offered excellent SW performance on the car's antenna. A
little ignition noise in deep fades, but not enough to complain about..
The injectors on 18 wheelers were more of a problem than ignition noise.
It has 40 or so memories. And exceptional audio.
* As for driving out into the weeds...we had a member of this group,
living in Colorado, who used to drive out into Wyoming and about two
miles outside of Jackson Hole would hook his SW-2 up to the guard rail
and use that as a makeshift pseudo Beverage.
* With dramatic results.
* But attaching anything to your car radio antenna will not get you
where you want to go.
* A car antenna does not really operate as an antenna. It's too short
for medium wave. It operates more like a capacitive element, and is
trimmed at the input to optimize performance. Attach a wire to the car
antenna, and you'll change it's capacitive value, and throw your input
out of balance. You're also likely to change that whip into something
that behaves more like a real antenna and seriously overload your front
end. On some models this can be disastrous.
* A better option would be to see if you can find an in-dash on the used
market, or take something like an SW-8 with you, mount it underdash and
enjoy it as a real shortwave receiver with a separate antenna system.
That actually makes good sense since I don't want to listen while
driving anyway. The fading would drive me up the wall. I know the deal
on car antenna lengths and the antennas on most cars would probably tune
to 144 MHz or somewhere way up there. Figuring out how to fake a good
earth ground might be a challenge unless the mass of the car would make
it a good ground.
All for now.
Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

Just so you know Bill, you *can* listen and drive without fading if
you're listening to a powerhouse. I listened to
China's show from the beginning on my way to Columbus and some hams
for the rest of my hour and twenty minute
drive from Cincinnati.

Like I said earlier, the best way to ground IMO your receiver or
transceiver is too run to the hardware store or your junk box and
pickup a quarter to half inch piece of metal/steel and drill the
appropriate size hole and weld it to the frame of your
car. If you don't know how to weld or don't have a arc welder....go to
any body shop. Either they'll do it for free or throw them a twenty
spot and it's done. Ground - ground and more ground is my motto. Good
luck and let us know what you do.

Just so you know, this is going (eventually) into my 1966 Chrysler
stealth hot rod and I am doing the engine right now so it will be a
while. After 250,000 miles I finally need to bore the block of my trusty
old 440 police engine. I bought the car in 1985 and can't bear to part
with it. It's a tank, but a trusty and fast tank.

Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

That's sweet. Even better then. Are you planning on keeping a radio
in
there from the 60's era?
era?

Old November 24th 09, 09:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bill Baka wrote:
dave wrote:
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/mf...er-pr-506.html

This site just got bookmarked.
That one URL just made this thread worth the bother for me.

You could just go to the MFJ web site. There you will find the converter,
a download link for the manual and a place to send them a message asking
them any question you want. You can also call them.

Geoff.

Old November 24th 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

That was a great post Peter. I liked the guardrail story.:-)

My friend hooked onto the railroad tracks once before keying up a lot
of wattage on his CB, he used the RR tracks as his ground.shaking my
head

I really never thought about hooking to the RR tracks for a shortwave
antenna, what do you think the results would be?

Not sure. That would be the fun of the experiment. It may be
little different than the guard rail. It may be something entirely
different. The results should be unexpected and dramatic.

What type of car were you refering to when you said "308"?? Just
curious.

Think "Magnum PI."

Great car. As I recall it was a 308GTBI, or like that? I went to the factory and
saw them built right along with my once loved FIAT X1/9 !!!

Magnum's was a 308 GTS. The 'B' was for the Berlinetta, the hard
top, and 'I' was for injection. His was a GTS(pyder), carbureted.

Mine was the 308 GTSI-QV. Mine was injected, 32 valve on the same
3.0L V-8. It wasn't quick, but it was FAST. And serious fun to drive.

You had an X1/9?

Yeah, metallic black, 1979 version as I recall, with the more integrated bumpers. A
great car, put at least 170k plus on it from coast to coast.

That's actually pretty good for that engine. It wasn't known for
longevity.

170k is a serious amount of driving fun. I'd say you got your
money out of it. You got everybody's money out of it.

Nicely done.

Thanks. The car always started with just a click of the key. Never a problem. It was the
undercarriage that failed.

Really. In what way?

If you recall the design it had a trunk in the front as well as the rear. What happened to
mine was that moisture up under the front apparently rotted out the area that supported the
front struts.

No kidding. Damn. You're lucky something didn't let go on the road.

I was actually quite fortunate that it let go where it did in Muskegon, MI. On a certain city
street there one has (or had) to cross four or five railroad tracks in rather rapid succession,
at not a high rate of speed. It let go then.

Another two or three miles and I would have been on the highway to home probably doing 70 MPH.
Had it all came apart then I might not be here now.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 24th 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/24/09 06:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, probably would have turned you over.

Old November 24th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 06:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Yeah. I did get a lot of use out of that car though! And, it still had its original exhaust system on
it.

A poor man's Ferrari!

Old November 24th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/24/09 09:01 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 06:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Indeed. I had a g/f years ago, with an X1/9. She couldn't keep it
running for love or money. I spent a weekend going through that
drive train and rebuilt everything I could put my hands on.

Fired it up and took it out for some break-in driving.

VERY serious fun. Not too unlike that 914/6 I was driving at the
time.

I wouldn't mind owning one, myself, today.

Old November 24th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 09:01 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 06:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

The only thing I did to the car later on was remove the catalytic convertor and put some slightly larger
jets in the carb.

It was indeed a very fun car and I miss it like I miss my Dodge Dakota.

Old November 24th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/24/09 10:25 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 09:01 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 06:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Ooohh...no doubt.

Old November 24th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 10:25 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 09:01 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 06:28 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 16:12 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 13:44 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 09:24 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 08:18 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/23/09 01:19 , Gregg wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:44 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Damn near got killed in the Dakota on a Saturday afternoon just minding my own business.

Only two cars, well maybe three, I ever had totalled. My Opel GT was also totalled by a gal who was 'running
late'.

European Shortwave Bands In Cars Station X[_2_] Shortwave 9 September 3rd 09 01:49 PM
Top Three Best Electric Cars [email protected] Equipment 0 November 26th 07 03:00 AM
killing cars with RF? KE5MBX Dx 13 February 27th 07 06:43 AM
New source for shortwave for cars? jtaylor Shortwave 1 October 14th 04 10:52 PM
Antenna for cars Svein Tore Sølvik Scanner 2 July 8th 04 12:17 AM