Old August 7th 03, 09:12 AM
starman

Michael Holme wrote:

starman wrote in message ...
Michael Holme wrote:

Anybody had the RCI blank out on them. I've had a number of silences
recently, anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds. I listen in the UK on
5850KHz at 20:00UTC for an hour and a half.

Could it be atmospherics ?

Not likely. When a station drops out instantaneously, it's got to be
either the audio signal or transmitter itself. Did you notice if the
meter on your radio went to zero during the drop out? If so, it would
indicate a transmitter failure.

I monitored the meter. The AGC was set to FAST and during the drop out the
meter didn't go down ?? The Radio in question was an oldish one (a 1985 JRC
NRD-92) so I double checked with my new Sony ICF-SW07. After a wait of
around 15 minutes the signal dropped out again for about 10 seconds and
what do you know, both receivers blanked out simultaneuously and came back
on together. I'm waiting for a chance to double check the experiment. The
drop out didn't happen last night, or a least not for more than a second
possibly.
What do you reckon ??

If the meter didn't drop out, the transmitter was still on but the audio
to it was lost. Could have been a failure in the audio link between the
studio and transmitter site.

Old August 7th 03, 08:22 PM
Robert

"elg110254" wrote in message
XPRS, 1090 khz, from San Diego, has been experiencing sporadic audio

drop-outs
on its St. Louis Sporting News overnight broadcasts recently. Nuthin'

similar
on KHTK 1140 khz from Sactown, though ... And yo, Roberto, due to tetryon
particle pollution in the Hekaras Corridor, UFP mandates stipulate a warp

five
maximum in that sector of space Season Six' "Force of Nature")!

My mistake - I _knew_ there was a Warp speed limit, I just couldn't
be arsed to look it up.
(And boy, I haven't been called "Roberto" in _years_.....cool!)

I'm not _really_ a Jeffries Tube.

---

Old August 9th 03, 09:36 AM
starman

AC Smith wrote:

starman wrote in message ...
AC Smith wrote:

Mike,

I'm glad you posted this. I am just a few miles from Seattle, WA
(where is there another Seattle?). Anyway, I have noticed that the
RCI broadcast at 0200UT has been absolutely terrible for the last
three weeks. Way down in signal and the noise seems to be worse, bad
combination.

I usually like to listen on Sunday evenings, local, so maybe I'm just
having bad luck?

Mike's description of the RCI dropouts (audio?) is most likely a
technical problem at RCI. Your reception problem with RCI is probably
due to poor propagation conditions, unless you also happened to be
listening when the audio dropouts occurred.

My situation has RCI appearing is if the cut their power in half with
a constant low signal, whereas a month ago, they blasted in as strong
as a local (as well they should). And this the same on all three
frequencies, with one of them, 9755kHz just non-existant.

Adam

That certainly sounds like poor propagation, unless something has
changed with your receiver/antenna. Have you noticed any changes in
reception from other countries in the same direction as RCI?

Old August 11th 03, 12:36 AM
AC Smith

starman wrote in message ...

AC Smith wrote:
My situation has RCI appearing is if the cut their power in half with
a constant low signal, whereas a month ago, they blasted in as strong
as a local (as well they should). And this the same on all three
frequencies, with one of them, 9755kHz just non-existant.

That certainly sounds like poor propagation, unless something has
changed with your receiver/antenna. Have you noticed any changes in
reception from other countries in the same direction as RCI?

Not that I have taken the time, but they broadcast from Sackville. I
have noticed poor reception of all of the Voice of Russia also during
this time but I have a feeling that it is from inconsistent tx'ing on
the listed frequencies.

I'll pay closer attention tonight when I start my listening around
0200UT.