Old January 8th 04, 12:19 AM
phil :)

howdy Pete!

Hey Phil..............maybe we should really mod
up the R75 and call it an R76!

i'm more excited about your radio... very clean design!

regards,
phil
Old January 8th 04, 12:19 AM
phil :)

hi Telamon:

how would you characterize these RX340 specs?

IP3: 5-kHz -53 dBm, 20-kHz +4 dBm
phase noise: -113 dBc/Hz
ultimate rejection: 70 dB

regards,
phil
Old January 8th 04, 12:20 AM
phil :)

howdy Rick!

I think it's human nature to nit pick, and do the
"my radio is better than yours" argument.

LOL. i agree... even a radio war would be a S/N improvement for RRS.

regards,
phil
Old January 8th 04, 12:20 AM
phil :)

hi Linus:

yes, forget the ****ing contest and buy whatever you want. IMO the RX350,
NRD545, R8B, R75, Palstar, and FRoG are more similar than they are
different. AFA ICOM, they're not a ham leader for nothing.

regards,
phil
Old January 8th 04, 12:23 AM
Kenneth

Hi Linus:I like this post.I don't agree 100% with it but you have some
good points.You seem to be a sensible guy [up to now].I'm ready to
quit this thread and spend my time in listening to my radio,and keep
working with my K9AY antenna box control. Ken
I never said there
was a 'problem' with freedom to express opinions (and I find
it amazing, as usual, that I get the tired 'censorship' accusation from yet
another teen-minded champion of personal pride of ownership), but if you would
care to go back into the archives and read through a fraction of the myriad
threads over who's got the better product and who's an idiot for NOT buying
said product, you'd know that your position and churlish attitude is neither
new, nor constructive.

I did the side by side test and for me
your reaction is only a failed intent to sweep the facts under the
rug.

Here lies the core of the whole 'my rig's better than your rig' ****ing
contest.
You admitted already that you leave logic to others, and are not using logic in
your current strand of posts, so I'll make this easier for you.
There's a HUGE difference between your singular, personal experiences with a
given product and someone else's reviews of the same thing versus any actual
FACTS. What you are attempting to do (illogically, as you admit) is portray
your opinion, and a handful of other's opinions, as FACTS to prove your
position in some blown-up (and utterly needless) debate over your radio. The
books and periodicals you mention as scientific proof are still derived from
personal experiences, and while I often refer to the same books and articles
for input and advice, I do not consider anything told to me (beyond basics like
dimensions, weight, frequency range, etc.) as FACTS. MY personal experiences
(are you spotting the lesson here yet?) with many products have differed quite
dramatically than the opinions and 'facts' expressed in those articles quite
often.
You have a personal agenda to defend your radio, which seems silly to me.
There's a difference between having real facts, and simply displaying a
churlish, personal-pride-of-ownership temper tantrum. ANYONE can point to
articles both pro- and con- regarding ANY product you care to mention... and
NONE of those articles, pro- or con-, can change YOUR personal experience and
preferences.

At last you got it;all radios have pro's and flaws."Get everything
right" commercial advertisement is only a nice myth.

If you really believed what you're saying all through this, you would have
simply not replied to Telamon's personal opinion, since it was EXACTLY that:
His statement of flaws of the radio in question, which IN *HIS* OPINION, helped
him decide NOT to purchase the radio.
ANYTHING beyond that is pointless.
I like my R75, and I liked my R8B, and have had not a single problem with
either of them. You seem to have gotten a dud.
Linus

Old January 8th 04, 12:46 AM
Kenneth

You actually think the DSP in the R75 is worth anything?
Yes Steve,the DSP include an automatic notch filter an really helps in
improve intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne
[whistle]interference.
Ken
Old January 8th 04, 12:56 AM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

You actually think the DSP in the R75 is worth anything?

Yes Steve,the DSP include an automatic notch filter an really helps in
improve intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne
[whistle]interference.
Ken

Golly, an automatic notch filter! Who would've thought! ;)

That must free up one of your hands for... well... doing other things!

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers" ©

Old January 8th 04, 01:25 AM
phil :)

hi Telamon:

i respect your thoughts. "best" depends on the user. want to guess what
percentage of stations my R75 picked up on MW that could be IDed on a $10
radio [both using loops]? guess the causes for the discrepency. the results
were a testament to Armstrong. any of the tabletops can be used for DXing.
the antenna is critical.

hi Mark:

IMO ICOM made a batch of R75s, will never admit to the flaws, is reducing
their stock for a new radio, and is making a profit... check out what $800
will buy in terms of transceivers.

hi Steve:

there are Drake mods but few know about them. the stock radio is fine. all
radios have flaws.

hi DeWayne:

Ken does not bash American products. he is an American.

regards,
phil
Old January 8th 04, 01:31 AM
phil :)

Hello... phil?

whats the matter Eric? you're usually a bowl of sunshine. overload any
radios lately?

73s,
phil
Old January 8th 04, 02:02 AM
N8KDV

"phil " wrote:

hi Steve:

there are Drake mods but few know about them. the stock radio is fine. all
radios have flaws.

Some more than others. ;)

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm