Old June 17th 04, 08:22 PM
RHF

= = = "Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
= = = link.net...
Ronald Reagan. The man who defeated
Soviet Communism (no wonder liberals
hate him). May he rest in peace. (snip)

First of all, Reagan didn't defeat the USSR. Instead, he severely weakened
our relationship with our European allies, and that was the real key to the
events that followed. His endless rhetoric, his decision to place even more
nuclear weapons in Europe, his attack on Libya, his rhetorical threats
towards France following that attack on Libia, and a number of other
questionable actions, convinced many in Europe the Russians were not all
that bad in comparison. As a result, it was the efforts by European leaders
to reach out to the Russians, such as decisions by France and Germany to
help Russia build an oil pipeline to Europe and England's decision to
increase trade with Russia, that truly caused Russian leaders to rethink
their positions.

As others have pointed out, there were certainly other factors influencing
Russia's decision (declining economy. political unrest, and so on), but
these alone would not have, and had not in the past, caused Russia to
change. The key ingredient, missing in the past, was a shift in European
thinking. And that shift was caused by a widespread rejection of Reagan's
war mongering attitudes - attitudes that were a throw-back to the early days
of the cold war and, like Reagan himself, very much out of place in the
world at that time.

Stewart

DS,

So you are one "Democrat Party Apologist" and Revisionist for
the Anti-American One World Vision of the OWLES.

Remember that about 90% of American Citizens relatives turned
their BackSides on Europe and other 'foreign' lands for the
Promise and Dream of America.

I Believe in the Promise and Dream of America and the Global
Vision of President Ronald W Reagan for the USofA.

Proud to Say: I Am An American ~ RHF

..
Old June 17th 04, 09:04 PM
RHF

= = = "Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
= = = link.net...
"Telamon" wrote:

(snip) The best that can be said
about you is that at least you had
the decency to wait until he was
buried to denigrate him.

The truth doesn't denigrate. I was there at the time to see that shift in
European thinking. And, by leaving this country not long before Reagan took
office and returning not long after he left, I was also able to more clearly
see what eight years of his presidency had done to this country. I returned
to see homeless people in the streets of even small towns (something I had
rarely seen outside the larger cities before), violent crime like I had
never seen before, stagnated wages for workers (most were earning no more
than when I left), sharply increased prices for most everything, shocking
corporate greed, jobs moving overseas, a growing immigration problem, a
declining military, declining political freedoms, a country growing more
politically divided then I had ever seen it before in my lifetime, and so
on. In my opinion, anyone who actually thinks Reagan was good for this
country doesn't really give a damn about this country. The same could
probably be said of Bush Sr, Clinton, and Bush Jr. Each have taken this
country to a new low.

Stewart

DS,

Sounds like you should have stayed "Over There !"

As for Me - I Am Glad to be 'right here' in America ~ RHF

..
Old June 17th 04, 09:21 PM
James Nipper

As the majority of Americans will agree, I think Pres Reagan was one of the
best, if not the very best, President that America has ever had.

On the other hand, I can see why so many liberals would hate him. The reason
for this is that the liberals oppose all of the decent pro-American things
that he stood for. One can't hate America and the ideals of this country
without hating Pres Reagan.

--James--

Old June 18th 04, 02:51 AM
Dwight Stewart

"-=jd=-" wrote:

You weren't the only person who
witnessed events unfolding. Fortunately,
there were many others who had a
much better vantage point to see certain
things happening. Things you were
obviously blind to. (snip)

I'm not blind to anything. For example, I was able to see you didn't
dispute anything I said. Instead, you chose to ignore it all in favor of
your own illusions about the man.

(snip) Of course, even though glowing
esteem for the man crosses all political
boundaries, (snip)

Polite words, said by the opposition solely to respect his passing, is not
glowing esteem. Of course, considering the only ones here offering any
resemblance of esteem towards Reagan is his long-time supporters, you should
already know that. But, again, you chose to ignore that too in favor of your
own illusions about the man.

Stewart

Old June 18th 04, 02:59 AM
Dwight Stewart

"RHF" wrote:

Sounds like you should have stayed
"Over There !"

As for Me - I Am Glad to be 'right
here' in America ~ RHF

I'm also glad to be 'right here' in America. However, my employment with
this government took me out of the country many times over the last few
decades. And, since it gave me a relatively unique perspective of events
around the world, I'm glad I had that opportunity to travel and work
overseas for extended periods.

Stewart

Old June 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Pete

"James Nipper" wrote in message

As the majority of Americans will agree, I think Pres Reagan was one of

the
best, if not the very best, President that America has ever had.

On the other hand, I can see why so many liberals would hate him. The

reason
for this is that the liberals oppose all of the decent pro-American things
that he stood for. One can't hate America and the ideals of this

country
without hating Pres Reagan.

--James--

We often wonder how Hitler managed to get into power and convince so many
otherwise perfectly normal Germans. Well, this is exactly the kind of
thinking that can do that, ie. if someone voices a different opinion, it's
anti-American. That false path has been followed by many countries and
civilizations before.
Pete

Old June 18th 04, 03:49 AM
Dwight Stewart

"RHF" wrote:

So you are one "Democrat Party
Apologist" and Revisionist for the
Anti-American One World Vision
of the OWLES.

My friend without a name, perhaps you didn't notice my earlier comment
about Clinton in this discussion. I don't blindly follow any particular
party's dogma. As I said before, both major political parties share some
responsibility for the sad direction this country is now heading in. Perhaps
you're simply too young to remember what this country was like before
Reagan, and how much this country has declined in so many ways since (partly
because of Reagan and partly because of the idiots in the White House
since).

Remember that about 90% of
American Citizens relatives turned
their BackSides on Europe and other
'foreign' lands for the Promise and
Dream of America.

And your point is? None of that changes my assessment of the political
changes in Europe during the 80's.

I Believe in the Promise and Dream
of America and the Global Vision of
President Ronald W Reagan for the
USofA.

Proud to Say: I Am An American ~ RHF

You obviously have no idea what it is to be an American. Blind allegiance
to a single political party is certainly not it. And neither is holding a
man up like a god to worship. If you want a clue, try reading some of the
writings of our forefathers. They were clearly concerned with the best
interests of all Americans (liberals and conservatives, rich and poor, and
so on), not just the biased interests of themselves and a few others. In
reality, your views, on the surface, seem more akin to the Nazi followers of
Adolf Hitler. I'm honestly sorry if that offends you, but it's true from my
perspective.

Stewart

Old June 18th 04, 04:27 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Pete" wrote:

We often wonder how Hitler managed
to get into power and convince so many
otherwise perfectly normal Germans.
Well, this is exactly the kind of thinking
that can do that, ie. if someone voices a
different opinion, it's anti-American. That
false path has been followed by many
countries and civilizations before.

Exactly, Pete. It's fanaticism devoid of all rational thought. In all
honesty, I suspect if George Bush announced tomorrow that he was disbanding
Congress and assuming all control of this country, the vast majority of
Republicans would support him, would openly argue (even right here in this
newsgroup) in defense of that, and would be willing, without hesitation, to
go to war and kill Americans who opposed his takeover. Indeed, something
very much like this may actually be the future of America - perhaps not with
Bush, but a very real possibility with some Republican leader in the not so
distant future.

Stewart

Old June 18th 04, 04:29 AM
Dwight Stewart

"-=jd=-" wrote:

See? Spin can work both ways too!

But the truth of it doesn't.

Stewart
Old June 18th 04, 03:51 PM
RHF

"-=jd=-" wrote:

See? Spin can work both ways too!

But the truth of it doesn't.

Stewart

DS,

The Truth is all to apparent by your postings
that you simply like "Bad Mouthing" the USofA.

Again 'take-a-hike' to EuroLand, and Leave America
for those Americans "Who Love Their Country".

God Bless America ~ RHF

..

BPL Comments of President Bush in Minneapolis on April 26th KØHB Dx 36 April 28th 04 06:59 PM
BPL Comments of President Bush in Minneapolis on April 26th KØHB Policy 16 April 28th 04 06:59 PM
George Bush OT Twistedhed CB 2 April 10th 04 12:32 AM
Bush Caters to the Extremist Right Wing Wilf Kelly Scanner 0 July 1st 03 11:12 AM