Old June 14th 04, 03:48 AM
Frank Dresser

"Stinger" wrote in message
.. .

I took my Kaito 1102 with me to San Pedro, Belize last week, and am happy

report that there is PLENTY of shortwave to listen to down there.

However,
they do have noisy powerlines (or generators, or something that makes a
racket on various frequencies).

Just for grins, I also tried some MW dx with it and was really surprised

be able to listen to George Noory on WOAI (San Antonio). The signal was
fairly weak but steady, but since there weren't a lot of MW signals out
there to interfere, the 1102 pulled it right in.

FM was the biggest surprise. Two stations -- one playing Mexicano-style
stuff, the other -- get this -- country western (the time I checked --

88.1
Mhz or so).

-- Stinger

Country western in English? I ask because one of the Spanish language
stations here plays some Spanish language rockabilly and doo-wop. It's like
radio from an alternate universe!!

Frank Dresser

Old June 14th 04, 04:03 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Stinger" wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"RHF" wrote in message
om...

FD,

First of all the 'poor' in Africa is the average common man and
woman living in a village or town. These 'poor' Africans only
speak their local reagional dialect of some native landguage.

I know we've dropped some African languages, and I think that's a mistake.
Still,Arabic, English and French are common second languages, if not first
languages.

More and more of the Message to the 'poor' in Africa is being
done with [in country] FM Radio Sations vice Shortwave Radio.
The process is two fold: Getting cheap low cost AM/FW Radios
into every Hut and Home. {The most coommon Radios to be found
and the easist to use.} Getting your message out to the locals
via a low cost medium powered FM Station. Distribution is done
via Satellite or the Internet to the local FM Stations.

~ RHF

.

Satellite is ideal for rebroadcasting, but I hope we aren't using the
internet for that purpose. Anyway, I know tropical band SW broadcasting

is
greatly diminished, but it's still there. And we should be broadcasting

on
SW to the third world at least as long as there are some people listening

their SW radios.

Frank Dresser

I took my Kaito 1102 with me to San Pedro, Belize last week, and am happy to
report that there is PLENTY of shortwave to listen to down there. However,
they do have noisy powerlines (or generators, or something that makes a
racket on various frequencies).

Just for grins, I also tried some MW dx with it and was really surprised to
be able to listen to George Noory on WOAI (San Antonio). The signal was
fairly weak but steady, but since there weren't a lot of MW signals out
there to interfere, the 1102 pulled it right in.

FM was the biggest surprise. Two stations -- one playing Mexicano-style
stuff, the other -- get this -- country western (the time I checked -- 88.1
Mhz or so).

Whenever I vacation in Mexico I take the 7600G with me and I heard
plenty down there from SA. Like you I could hear Art Bell on at least
one station from either Florida or Texas depending on which coast I was
on.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 14th 04, 04:04 AM
Frank Dresser

"Telamon" wrote in message

I'm listening to RNZ and Australia right now and I was listening to
radio Japan and radio Netherlands earlier today. I've spent a few hours
listening to them and I won't the mention others listened to for less
then 15 minutes.

Who did you listen to today?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Woke up in time for George W. Gentry, I hate to miss that. Caught Brother
Stair for a while. I also heard some boring preachers I can't identify. I
missed Texe Marrs.

Heard some Dr. Dean on WLS. Listened to some jazz on the FM side.

Frank Dresser

Old June 14th 04, 04:55 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Stinger" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

IIRC, English is a primary language in Belize.. lot of US expats down there.

Old June 14th 04, 05:15 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

I'm listening to RNZ and Australia right now and I was listening to
radio Japan and radio Netherlands earlier today. I've spent a few hours
listening to them and I won't the mention others listened to for less
then 15 minutes.

Who did you listen to today?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Woke up in time for George W. Gentry, I hate to miss that. Caught Brother
Stair for a while. I also heard some boring preachers I can't identify. I
missed Texe Marrs.

Heard some Dr. Dean on WLS. Listened to some jazz on the FM side.

You can't miss Brother Stair on the bands.

Always heard him on the 60, 41 meter bands. Lately he seems to be on 31
meters a lot. Heard him today in two places on the 16 meter band at the
same time. Could not miss him if I tried.

You must usually listen to Texe Marrs on WWCR 5070 right?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 14th 04, 10:22 AM
no_spam_here

So you are saying that anyone that top posts and doesn't agree is
reprehensible? So I'm a troll but at least I do have something to say
and what I have to say is accurate. Another thing I have to say is
that ShortWave radio as we know it will be dead in 5 years. Too much
expense and too little return for most countries. Oh by the way,
taking that little Sony to Mexico and listening to BC or MW isn't the
same thing as international broadcasters. BcB or MW broadcasters are
supported by paid ads not supported by government.

Telamon wrote in message ...
In article ,
(no_spam_here) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
(no_spam_here) wrote:

Snip

Shortwave international broadcast is taking it's last gasping
breaths.

Yes you are morally reprehensible.

Why don't you expand on your comment. How am I reprehensible? I air
my point of view and you don't like what I have to say so I am
morally reprehensible?

1. You are a top poster and that is a cardinal sin. This shows
disrespect for Usenet conventions and people that read the news group.

2. You claim the demise of short wave in a short wave listeners news
group just to be provocative.

3. You don't listen to short wave radio while posting disruptive
nonsense to the RRS newsgroup. You are just here to be a Troll.

4. Your purpose of just being a Troll makes you in my eye morally
reprehensible.

I highly doubt that anything will come of discourse with you other than
nonsense.

Old June 14th 04, 10:53 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(no_spam_here) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
In article ,
(no_spam_here) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
(no_spam_here) wrote:

[...]

Yes. Trolls are notoriously not agreeable.

So I'm a troll but at least I do have something to say

So far so good

and what I have to say is accurate.

There you went off the deep end

Another thing I have to say is that ShortWave radio as we know it
will be dead in 5 years.

"Yawn"

Too much expense and too little return for most countries. Oh by the
way, taking that little Sony to Mexico and listening to BC or MW
isn't the same thing as international broadcasters. BcB or MW
broadcasters are supported by paid ads not supported by government.

No I was listening to SA and CA on short wave.

I listened to the US on BCB.

Try to keep up OK.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 14th 04, 01:58 PM
Diverd4777

In article ,
Telamon writes:

I'm listening to RNZ and Australia right now and I was listening to
radio Japan and radio Netherlands earlier today. I've spent a few hours
listening to them and I won't the mention others listened to for less
then 15 minutes.

Who did you listen to today?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon:

- Currrently listening to Radio canada ( 9.515)
- checked into Radio New Zealand last night (15.720 )
BBC( 12.095 & 5.975 )

And WBCQ 7.415 John Lightning..

All of these can be picked up on a cheap portable with an external antenna

Dan / NYC
Old June 14th 04, 02:17 PM
Diverd4777

Stinger, Welcome Back !

& thanks for the report.
It's amazing how much stuff you can pick up down there on Shortwave

- Speaking about "Down", how was diving ? How was the food?
How were the accomodations?
What's it like in San Pedro ?

When in Bonaire, I was picking up Lots of South American Stuff ,
( Didn't log anything; Just lazed about ! )

Dan / NYC

Old June 14th 04, 03:53 PM
Frank Dresser

"Telamon" wrote in message

You can't miss Brother Stair on the bands.

Always heard him on the 60, 41 meter bands. Lately he seems to be on 31
meters a lot. Heard him today in two places on the 16 meter band at the
same time. Could not miss him if I tried.

This has been a great week for the Brother Stair listeners. So much backing
down from his false predictions of the Reagan Administration. One of his
callers was sure Planet X is still out there, and could fly by any minute.
And there could be big things happening in the next five months. Why five
months and not four months or six months? Don't know -- stay tuned!!

You must usually listen to Texe Marrs on WWCR 5070 right?

I don't always get to listen during the evenings, but I wanted to listen to
Texe on Sunday night. Then it slipped my mind. Oh, well. Brothers Gentry
and Stair made up for it.

Frank Dresser