Old June 24th 04, 02:22 AM
Dan Kessler

Default Question about selling new ICF-2010 on Ebay

Hi all. I'm planning on selling a brand spanking new in the box Sony
ICF-2010 on eBay. I would sell this as a final sale (i.e. no returns for any
reason). At this point, I have not even removed the radio from the box. It
is a late serial number unit - the serial # is on the outer shipping box.
All factory accessories are included, unopened and unused.

Would you be more willing to buy the item

a. tested (by me) with batteries or
b. sent as-is (untested) with the radio in the box as packaged by Sony?

I would obviously like to sell it for as much as possible. I'm just not sure
whether a tested or unused unit is more desirable. Thanks for any input.

Dan

Old June 24th 04, 03:11 AM
Jim Hackett

Under the conditions (NO RETURN)
I wouldn't even consider it if you said "untested"
Also your feedback would be VERY important to me...

Old June 24th 04, 03:30 AM
T. Early

[...]

I was faced with the identical situation once when selling a
new-in-box SW-07 and decided that -I- needed to know that it was in
working order before sending it in order to guard against a recipient
who might, for whatever reason, try to claim that it wasn't. Also,
FWIW, I wouldn't buy it under "no return" conditions unless you at
least "warranted" that you'd turned it on. Since the accessories,
manual, etc, will presumably be wrapped as new, and the box and radio
in mint condition, my guess is that prospective purchasers won't have
a problem with you removing the radio and powering it up once, nor
should it affect the value.

Old June 24th 04, 02:21 PM
Pete

Most savvy buyers of anything on ebay will avoid "as is" auctions like the
plague. It's well known as a sign the buyer wants to get rid of something.
You will do much better if you guarantee the radio to be as described on
arrival. That way, you give serious buyers some comfort in knowing that if
there's truly something wrong with it, they haven't been screwed. In the box
means absolutely nothing on ebay. "As is" probably won't fetch as good a
price as you could get with it.
Pete

Old June 24th 04, 02:57 PM
LewBob

"Pete" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
[...]

I agree with Pete and T. I would never consider bidding on an item without a
DOA-return guarantee.

LewBob

Old June 24th 04, 03:27 PM
Mark S. Holden

Dan Kessler wrote:

Hi all. I'm planning on selling a brand spanking new in the box Sony
ICF-2010 on eBay. I would sell this as a final sale (i.e. no returns for any
reason). At this point, I have not even removed the radio from the box. It
is a late serial number unit - the serial # is on the outer shipping box.
All factory accessories are included, unopened and unused.

Would you be more willing to buy the item

a. tested (by me) with batteries or
b. sent as-is (untested) with the radio in the box as packaged by Sony?

I would obviously like to sell it for as much as possible. I'm just not sure
whether a tested or unused unit is more desirable. Thanks for any input.

Dan

I think I'd list it as never removed from the box, but mention on request of the winner, you'll test it before shipping.

In other words, give the high bidder the choice.

There are some people who actually collect unopened items, and never use them.

To me it seems silly - "Just imagine, somewhere in that crate is a pristine R390 that's never been used."
Old June 24th 04, 10:06 PM
LW

"Mark S. Holden" wrote ...

- "Just imagine, somewhere in that crate is a pristine
R390 that's never been used."

Cross you fingers and knock on wood - and don't rule it out. Since
late 1996 I've seen this very thing with (2) Drake R4b's, (2) National
HRO-500's and (1) Collins 51S1.

The Drakes and the Nationals were sold on rec.radio.swap.

The Collins went quietly from the storage depot in Alaska to a good
home. A very good home, at that. Happened to a VERY good guy.
( You out there John? )

No hard feelings, but I hope I am the finder of the NIB R-390.

Awww shucks - I'd settle for finding an NIB 2010. Or R4c. Or a
loaded R7a. Or an NIB SPR-4 with the dial stickies and loop antenna.
Old June 24th 04, 10:19 PM
dxAce

LW wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote ...

- "Just imagine, somewhere in that crate is a pristine
R390 that's never been used."

Cross you fingers and knock on wood - and don't rule it out. Since
late 1996 I've seen this very thing with (2) Drake R4b's, (2) National
HRO-500's and (1) Collins 51S1.

Seemed to me there was a mint in the box Drake 2B and 2B-Q that went on
rec.radio.swap this past winter too. Guy wanted $500 for it, saw it later
up on eBay by the buyer from rec.radio.swap.

Old June 24th 04, 10:23 PM
RHF

= = = "Dan Kessler" wrote in message
= = = . ..

Hi all. I'm planning on selling a brand spanking new in the box Sony
ICF-2010 on eBay. I would sell this as a final sale (i.e. no returns for any
reason). At this point, I have not even removed the radio from the box. It
is a late serial number unit - the serial # is on the outer shipping box.
All factory accessories are included, unopened and unused.

Would you be more willing to buy the item

a. tested (by me) with batteries or
b. sent as-is (untested) with the radio in the box as packaged by Sony?

I would obviously like to sell it for as much as possible. I'm just not sure
whether a tested or unused unit is more desirable. Thanks for any input.

Dan

DK,

READ: Sony ICF-2010 Radio Prices on eBay Mayo 2004 (Last Half)

Sony ICF-2010 Radio Prices on eBay DECEMBER 2003 (Last Half)

1. Tested with Batteries

2. Plus a NON-DOA Warranty {Serial Number}

3. Pictures of the Everything Inside and Outside the Box.
{Including Power-On 'LCD' & LED Pictures}

4. Starting Bid of $350
+ Reserve Price of $525
+ Buy-It-Now Price of $700

~ RHF

..
Old June 24th 04, 10:35 PM
Raqueeb Hassan

Hello there!

Has anyone used this ICF-2010? I'm planning to buy either ICF-2003 or
the said model ...

Basically, I'm trying to buy a reciever which would be DRM ready, do
you have any idea what would be the best in price-performance
comparison?

Thanks in advance.

Raqueeb Hassan
Congo (DRC)