Old July 17th 05, 09:16 PM
Lucky

"Volker Tonn" wrote in message
Lucky schrieb:

...The only problem I have
is the audio of course. Even thru great speakers, it can sound muddy and
flat. Not good fidelity even with a very wide filter.

...as a NRD-user you *should* know: Run the audio from the LINE-out
through a decent audio-amp or an good active speaker with seperate tone
controls. Line-out level is set by a pot accessible on the bottom side of
the 525.

I'm running the audio thru good speakers only 4 or 5 watts but not thru the
Line-Out.
I must confess I didn't know about that or forgot. Forgot might be more
probable
I haven't used my 525 in months now. I was switching between the HF-150 and
R75 but lately the R75 and HF3.

Lucky

Old July 17th 05, 09:42 PM
Volker Tonn

Lucky schrieb:

I'm running the audio thru good speakers only 4 or 5 watts but not thru the
Line-Out.
I must confess I didn't know about that or forgot. Forgot might be more
probable
I haven't used my 525 in months now. I was switching between the HF-150 and
R75 but lately the R75 and HF3.

Have try to connect the line out with your stereo amp and you will be
impressed. :-)

Old July 18th 05, 01:11 PM
Lucky

Lucky schrieb:

I'm running the audio thru good speakers only 4 or 5 watts but not thru
the Line-Out.
I must confess I didn't know about that or forgot. Forgot might be more
probable
I haven't used my 525 in months now. I was switching between the HF-150
and R75 but lately the R75 and HF3.

Have try to connect the line out with your stereo amp and you will be
impressed. :-)

Good morning

Ok thanks a bunch Volker. Next time I set up my 525 I'm going to try it. I
do like that receiver but that audio has kept me from using it more.

Lucky

Old July 18th 05, 01:14 PM
Lucky

From: David
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:23:06 GMT
Subject: R-75 status?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:39:00 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

Yeah, I love the way the solid feel of the NRD-525 controls. It's a well
built receiver and it pulls signals out very nicely. The only problem I
have
is the audio of course. Even thru great speakers, it can sound muddy and
flat. Not good fidelity even with a very wide filter. Other then that I
like
my 525 a lot but use the R75 most of the time.

Lucky

LMAO. A great radio except it sounds bad. Other than that, it's a
fine paperweight. The big knobs impress the chicks.

David, My 525 is a great radio. The sometimes poor audio (depending upon
what I'm listening to) is not a big issue for me, besides, there are
remedies for that. Overall, IMHO, it's a great radio. Dumbass.

Greg

I agree Greg

dumbass.........

Lucky

Old July 18th 05, 02:44 PM
Michael Lawson

Lucky schrieb:

I'm running the audio thru good speakers only 4 or 5 watts but not

thru the
Line-Out.
I must confess I didn't know about that or forgot. Forgot might be

more
probable
I haven't used my 525 in months now. I was switching between the

HF-150 and
R75 but lately the R75 and HF3.

Have try to connect the line out with your stereo amp and you will

be
impressed. :-)

I don't suppose that is a nice way to avoid the sound
issues with the IC-R71A??

--Mike L.

Old July 18th 05, 03:20 PM
D Peter Maus

Lucky schrieb:

I'm running the audio thru good speakers only 4 or 5 watts but not

thru the

Line-Out.
I must confess I didn't know about that or forgot. Forgot might be

more

probable
I haven't used my 525 in months now. I was switching between the

HF-150 and

R75 but lately the R75 and HF3.

Have try to connect the line out with your stereo amp and you will

be

impressed. :-)

I don't suppose that is a nice way to avoid the sound
issues with the IC-R71A??

--Mike L.

Much of the distortion with R71, which can approach 20%, are
related to the four mixers. Sometimes a good sound system at the REC
out can make an improvement, depending on speaker selection, but
often, what a higher definition audio system does, is merely enhance
the audibility of the distortion that's otherwise masked by the
'smearing' of the waveform created by the use of ceramic capacitors
in the audio path. KIWA offers a nice mod for the audio of R71. And
it's reasonably priced. And it DOES clean up the audio path. But the
cleaner audio path only served, in the three units I've heard that
were so modified, to call attention to distortions that were
generated in pre-audio stages. There, currently are no mods to
attenuate those distortions.

Old July 18th 05, 03:52 PM
D Peter Maus

Michael Lawson wrote:

Lucky schrieb:

[...]

How bad is the sound on the R71A, really?? I've had
an R70 in the past, and I didn't think it was that bad
there, but fidelity wise a Drake or the Sat 800 is better.
If it's in the realm of the R70 as far as how bad the sound
is, it's livable.

I know people who listened to R71 for MWBC all day every day. I
was one of them, and I wasn't alone.

Unless you're focussing on the audio, it's very likely you'll
never notice it.

Example, I never really paid attention to the clipping on WLS
until I migrated from R71, to Sat 650. The cleaner audio path made
the clipping distortion (over processing at the transmitter)
noticeable, and on the higher fidelity audio path, irritating.
Compared to WGN, it was a night and day difference. When I migrated
to Fanfare FTA-100, the difference was greater still.

With R71, WGN or WLS...it was AM radio. And there were few
apparent differences between the audio of the two.

If you didn't have a problem with R70, you won't have a problem
with R71.

--Mike L.

Old July 18th 05, 06:46 PM
Michael Lawson

Lucky schrieb:

[...]

Hmm. I guess then I can live with it. Maybe next
year (or the year after) I'll try to obtain one of them
(or the R-5000) via eBay. Methinks that the R8B
will have to wait a while until the used prices return
to normal.

--Mike L.

PETE [KE9OA] 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project Pete KE9OA Shortwave 2 February 24th 05 08:45 AM
RHF Displays His Card-Carrying Member Status in the Rat-Fink Society bpnjensen Shortwave 0 November 16th 04 04:54 PM
GCN Status? Ernie Shortwave 0 November 7th 04 11:17 PM
Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio Airy R. Bean Homebrew 62 March 22nd 04 07:05 AM
Status of Shortwave. Vijay Shortwave 47 January 2nd 04 03:17 PM