Old July 24th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC Crap News

Steve wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

David Frackelton Gleason, posing as 'Eduardo' since c.2000 and shillmaster
for
HD/IBOC wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...

David Eduardo wrote:

Listeners like you are not of any "value" to the local market. Since
ratings
show listening to stations by location, your listening to DX does not
help
the distant station... since your listening shows up in Grand Rapids,
not
in
the home market to the station.

At least he's not BUSTED!!

Whatever that means.

Are you DX's sock puppet? You both post the same gibberish, with no
content,
no facts, no suggestions and no information. You just are here to insult
others.

At least DX had a brief exchange about Niger today.

Yeah, and it beat all your IBOC crap, didn't it, Edweenie?

So where is the other 'R-75'? You said you had two (2).

Same place the first one is. Also have the remains of an R390, too.

Doesn't matter what receivers you have. You're still BUSTED.

At least that one Drake didn't make it to the dumpster.

Old July 24th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Frackelton Gleason, the prancing shill who poses as 'Eduardo' wrote:

[snip]

This is not an easy discussion, and the first step is accepting that AM will
not exist in 10 years or less if something is not done.

How about you HD/IBOC hotdogs stand down, and we'll wait 10 years to see if AM
still exists?

I'd bet good ol' AM would still be around and operating.

I know it'd be tough on you Edweenie, but I'm certain you could find something
else to shill.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 24th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I need to stop biting my fingernails.(it's old habit since I was a young
cute little boy) How am I ever going to get my fingernails looking like
a womans fingernails?
cuhulin

Old July 24th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon,I think you are right about,deliberate destruction of AMBCB.In
my opinion,U.S.fed govt doesn't want us to listen to long distance AM
Radio.I have mentioned something about that before many,many Moons ago
in this very news group.
cuhulin

Old July 24th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

FM in mono sounds better, even on a clock radio.

It does not sound better to me. FM has a little more of a high end
response but that's about it. You sure as hell are not going to hear the
difference on a clock radio.

Like I said before AM sounds good. I don't see what the problem is with
the sound quality. The quality can go down when you go out of the area
but you won't consider that anyway because it is out of the market. I
find weak signal FM more annoying than weak signal AM. FM gets a pretty
loud background hiss on a weak signal when you turn up the volume.

Many efforts have been made, all across the US, to make AM attract younger
demos via formats designed for 35-44, etc. The only one that has worked
somewhat is sports, but all music attempts have failed miserably. The
reason: AM does not sound as good. Listeners tell us this.

Old July 24th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

The average listener does not spend any time thinking about radio. It
is
just "there."

Snip

I think plenty of people think about AM radio. What about all the
people
that listen to talk radio? They don't think about it? What about all
the
people that look to AM radio for news and weather and traffic reports?

They think about the shows or the content, not about "radio" per se.

Well what do most people think then, that the voices are in their head?
Of course they think about radio. They have to take the time to tune the
stations in and program their favorites to memory.

People do not spend any time thinking about how radio works, why one band
has some programs and why another has others, etc. They think only as far as
the on and off switch and the presets. It is an appliance, free, and easy to
change. Nobody, short of those on this group and similar ones, spend any
time considering how radio works.

In the case of AM, the only thing listeners under 45 think is that it sounds
bad. Period.

This is why the programming of WTOP in DC moved to FM, that of WNLS in
Tallahassee moved to FM, of WTAR in Phoenix now going to simulcast on FM,
KSL in Salt Lake doing the same thing... etc. These stations believe they
have a viable format in, at least, 35-44, which they do not get, but believe
they can get with the better sound quality of FM.

Old July 24th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Frackelton Gleason, the prancing shill who poses as 'Eduardo' wrote:

[snip]

This is not an easy discussion, and the first step is accepting that AM
will
not exist in 10 years or less if something is not done.

How about you HD/IBOC hotdogs stand down, and we'll wait 10 years to see
if AM
still exists?

I'd bet good ol' AM would still be around and operating.

It probably would. But, you are not getting the main issue: every 18 months,
the average age of AM listeners increases by a year. That means that in
another few years, most AM listeners will be over 55, and advertisers do not
buy over 55 listenership. The stations may be around, but they will be
losing money.

Old July 24th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

David Frackelton Gleason, the prancing shill who poses as 'Eduardo' wrote:

[snip]

This is not an easy discussion, and the first step is accepting that AM
will
not exist in 10 years or less if something is not done.

How about you HD/IBOC hotdogs stand down, and we'll wait 10 years to see
if AM
still exists?

I'd bet good ol' AM would still be around and operating.

It probably would. But, you are not getting the main issue: every 18 months,
the average age of AM listeners increases by a year. That means that in
another few years, most AM listeners will be over 55, and advertisers do not
buy over 55 listenership. The stations may be around, but they will be
losing money.

You are not getting the main issue: You are BUSTED!

Old July 24th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

There ya go. A REAL compatible system, and it doesn't annihilate the
adjacents, either. It's also just as likely to save AM as IBOC (moreso,
imho), and there are already tens of thousands of radios already out there
to receive it.

In one word, this will not work: DIGITAL

C-Quam was tried and failed in the mid 80's. Any system that does not come
on the same chip as the FM digital system will also fail. Any system that is
not digital will fail at the marketing stage.

Oh, and David Eduardo... this should have some meaning to you....

En boca cerrada no entran moscas..

Irrelevant in this case.

Right. All that's relevant is that you're BUSTED.

Old July 24th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

D Peter Maus wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
What I'm seeing, is interest in HD-AM by users who are

interested in AM
content, and who regularly use AM anyway. But little or no

interest in
users who do not regularly use AM. Regardless of the audio

quality....if
there is no interest in the programming, there will be little

interest in
how good it may or may not sound.

Viscious circle there... until there is an audio quality that

under-45's can
tolerate, there will be no programming. And as the clock ticks,

the band
dies.

Well, of course it's a vicious circle. Most everything in Radio

is.
You remember how tough it is to get hired until you have

experience, but
you can't get experience until you get hired. Vicious circles in

Radio
aren't news. But the fact remains.

That said, it's content that drives listening. If the content

is of
no interest to the target, HD isn't going to help. What's not
happening, is there's no change in content to accompany HD
implementation. WGN didn't change content when HD was installed.

And I'm
sure that Ace will point out that WBBM's content is the same as

before
HD was installed. So, HD is only really benefitting those who are
already using AM. And those younger demos you wish to attract with

audio
quality, will be just as unintersted in the content after HD, as

the
stations themselves are in those who listen outside of the city

grade
contour.

I don't listen very much to WBBM, but on the occasions that I do,

you are correct
in that I have noted no change in their content.

What I do notice without fail is that when they have their HD/IBOC

up and running
is the total annihilation of at least two adjacent channels.

Such a wonderful system, it seems to me, will only force more

listeners away from
the MW bands.

The potential to drive those of us who tune around at night (or

currently during
the daytime) looking for alternative voices from outside our 'local'

market or
'area' off the band for good does not seem to be a productive use

of this
resource.

If all HD does is "improve" the sound but not
the programming, then there won't be much reason
to move to it. If the programming is generic and
formulaic (and the younger crowd has figured that
out), then why listen? So you can hear the same
stuff only with better sound?

People will migrate to a new radio format if there's
a promise of real change in what is being listened
to, not the same stuff only sounding better.

It's like purchasing a car. If the imports were simply
as good as the Big Three, then no one would buy
them except for non-practical reasons. However,
the imports were made better than the Big Three's
cars, and there then became a practical reason to
buy one. Personal example: I own a Ford Contour,
and in the first 5 years I owned it, it had a total of
something like $3000 worth of repairs to it. That's
repairs, not regular maintenance. By comparison,
we also own a Toyota Sienna, which in the 5 years
we've owned it we've had $0 worth of extraneous
repairs to it. While the Contour cost less than either
a similarly equipped Corolla or Camry, the extra money
spent on repairs makes either car look less expensive
by comparision. Especially since the Contour is
now 10 years old, and has had about $5000 worth of
repairs to it.

The moral is that you have to be getting more in a
practical sense for HD radio to be accepted by
the masses. Just saying "it sounds better" won't
do anything if that's the only thing that HD has
going for it.

--Mike L.

Open Letter to K1MAN [email protected] Policy 13 April 15th 05 07:43 PM
ABC's NASA story Michael Shortwave 13 March 1st 05 03:41 AM
Fake news from Washington Joel Rubin Shortwave 26 February 24th 05 02:57 PM
Spectrum plot of an IBOC AM station David Shortwave 27 March 4th 04 05:47 AM
The AM IBOC mess is yet to begin... WBRW Broadcasting 1 January 23rd 04 03:29 PM