Old December 9th 03, 01:09 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Yuri:

[snip]
fat BUm but back on Atkins

[snip]

I follow the "Atkin's way to live" myself and have reversed what was a long
term
and seemingly inevetible weight increase, by following Atkins plan. I lost
about
40 pounds over a year's time back about five years ago and have been
following
Atkins daily since.

I feel great on low carb intake, drink plenty of red and white wine,
and despite what several, such as my dear wife, told me, my lipids are
under control and what's important to me, I never feel deprived.

Atkins works for me...

Pass the steak, ham and turkey but... hold the sweet potato... :-)

Happy Holidays

--
Peter K1PO

Old December 9th 03, 03:25 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

So you work alone. That explains a lot, your superior attitude and
penchant for labeling people such as those who are in your profession
who don,t have it
fits in quite well with your lack of people skills. Actually I am
surprised that you have a wife knowing how vindictive you are as shown
with your outrageous treatment of Chip Cohen. In fact I see a great
similarity with the so called shoot out with Tom by the Bum where it
showed complete arrogance with respect to people who have earned the
right of respect because of their contributions.
Look at E ham and read that horrible discourse even tho it does not
match
that of you and Chip.I see your company has arrived ( the bum) to give
you support from the rear by throwing darts which now complets the
trio.
Art

"Peter O. Brackett" wrote in message link.net...
Art:

[snip]
By the way I have this picture of you in my mind that shows you short
in height but certainly not retund. Am I close?

[snip]

Heh, heh... yse. You really wanna know my physical description!

What's with you?

Next you'll be whining that a short but not rotund man is being critical of
your inventions simply because you are tall and rotund!

Hey! Just in case it matters and FYI...

I'm 5' 8", 165 pounds, blood pressure 115/70, I run 7 minute
miles daily, current age 62, born just after Pearl Harbour,
and my dear wife Mary still thinks I'm a "hunk" after 40 years
of marriage!

What?

Currently I run a "thriving" personal consulting business from my home
office - doing analog and RF design for companies that no longer seem
to be able to find good analog and RF designers among the current
generation of Engineers - and so keep coming back to us "old farts"
for new designs!

What?

Old December 9th 03, 07:13 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Art:

[snip]
"Art Unwin KB9MZ" wrote in message
So you work alone.

[snip]

No! Heh, heh... can't be a consultant without customers!

One must be people oriented to be successful in business.

People do business with people!

[snip]
Actually I am
surprised that you have a wife

[snip]

Now that's a cruel and vindictive thing to say. You don't even know
me or my wife.

In my humble opinion Mary is the world's most wonderful woman,
a beauty, great dancer and socializer, a great life partner, mother, and
absolute saint to have put up with me for forty years.

Let me share some of her pithy comments with you so that you can see
what she is made of... :-)

She has often said, "don't bring any more of those nerdy ham radio friends
of yours around here all they can talk about is their rigs!". Or another
great
comment, "I'll never drive your car, with all those antennas on it, I don't
want
anyone to think I'm married to a nerd!

Kinda neat isn't she?

[snip]
knowing how vindictive you are as shown
with your outrageous treatment of Chip Cohen.

[snip]

Heh, heh... *My* outrageous treatment of dear sainted Chip?

Be fair Art.

What about his vindictive treatment of me?

He initiated his discourse with unsolicited personal attacks
on me for nothing more innocous than attempting to engage him
in scientific discourse! What?

Hey Art, go back and re-read the postings... Chip launched unwarranted
ad hominem attacks upon my person [not on my questions, statements or
discussions] the very first time he encountered me on this NG. All I had
done was to ask Dr. Cohen for a layman's explanation of what he was trying
to accomplish with fractal antennas. A fair question, no?

My first encounter with Chip on the NG went something like, "Chip: What
are the advantages of fractal antennas over other types". His response?
"Who are you to question me? -- N. Cohen, Ph.D."

For some unknown reason Chip seemed to take questions as a threat
rather than as an opportunity to learn or prosyletize.

Hmmm... it seems to me that you might also have such a "defensive" response
to technical questions as well but with a somewhat different defence
mechanism.

Art, the scientific method is fun, why can't you just be open to technical
questions and criticism and learn from it if you can. What exactly are
you afraid of when people question your ideas?

Your defensive attitude towards the questioning of your peers and
colleagues and subsequent pleas for pity and relief from further questions
because of your professed technical handicaps is not helping your cause.

Instead of hiding from questions and seeking solace in statements of
incompentence, just "have at it"!

"If you want to run with the big dogs you can't sit on the porch!"

Art... technical discourse is just that... technical *discourse*. A
technical
give and take of questions and answers intended to inform, educate and test
the validity of new ideas. It's the basis of the "scientific method".

Never take technical questioning personally! Such questions are not aimed
at your person or behaviour rather they are aimed at your ideas. Take
questions
as an opportunity to hone and improve your ideas.

Handle questions, respond to them, interact. Just do it!

Art you will do your cause more help if you abandon your defensive attitude
and just just stand up and trade information or field technical questions
from your
peers and colleagues, pleas for pity and claims of incompetence lead
nowhere!

Art if you dealt with technical questions here on the NG directly, why then
you will learn from the more knowledgeable and help to teach the less
knowledgeable and further improve or popularize your own inventions.

It's a win-win situation. Don't be a cry baby!

Life is about choices, don't choose to make yourself the worst enemy
or your own ideas!

--
Peter K1PO

Old December 10th 03, 12:21 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

So you work alone.

Oh oh, I better shutup, or I get "evaluated" and "analyzed" :-)

Chipster must have designated Art as his ambassador here.

I wonder if there is a name for this -itis (artritis? chipritis?)

Yuri da BUmmer
Old December 10th 03, 02:29 AM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Peter, the ham community is full of people who know it all each
with their own followers that tailgate and throw barbs.
When Chip came up with Fractals he shared it on this newsgroup
and imediately came under attack, before him it was a vendor
who sold a two element beam, I forget who came before that.
The important thing was that the group atacked for what they
thought was wrong with the ideas and not the good that came
with those experiments. It is natural for somebody who comes
to this group and shares his work would get upset with the
groups aproach as well as the tailgaters who join in with all
the snide comments. I am not surprised that Chip lost his cool
in the light of your and others attacks and others in the
group such as the bum
I also did many years of work on antennas and 'silly me' wanted
to share it with everybody, but ofcourse the community resists the
new.
Two of those ideas I patented as a way of putting out information
instead of persuing a publisher, what did I get from an actual antenna
group,
this one ? Nothing but resistance to new ideas and a verbal hounding
which still goes on from the likes of the bum and the Doctor, so I let
the matter rest. And you talk of scientific correctness in debate,
fine words
of a theoretical nature in this group.

Again after a couple of years I proferred my thoughts on another new
design
which not only was multiband in nature but also goes down to the 160
metre band. For people that were interested in antennas and antenna
design you would think that all would be clamouring for information.
Quite the opposite again....all is known, doesn't that idiot know
that?
So I let it go for a while and then drop morsels of info, 7 Khz
bandwidth,
lossless feed system, Swr stays constant as one turns the radio
frequency dial,
more jibes since 'all is known' about antennas.
Then I drop the fact that it is rotatable but I can do nothing about
what lack of height does to the patterns, but at least I removed the
ground losses from the picture. More mirth especially from tailgaters.
And you talk of professionalism in debate and if who ask for it then
you are asking for pity ? You have to be nuts ! The group postings are
for arguments
or finding a pecking order, not for scietific analysis. Look at bums
comments about Tom one of the most knoweledgeable people in the field
and bum comes along and states that Tom's page is full of errors. Can
you imagine that coming from the likes of the bum and why not, because
it is often the pattern of some members of this group including the
antisemetic jabs made at Chip.
And you Peter, are part of this group that throw barbs to hurt people
and you call me a 'cry baby' for standing up to the likes of you when
the barbs are thrown at me. Well Peter, I respond in kind, since you
show lack of professionalism then so can I, you throw it at me and I
with throw some back.
If interest moves away from anything new then so be it but I am not
embarassed
because of those such as yourself that prejudge everything, throw
barbs
and then throw insults that injure by saying I should throw my antenna
model away, regardles if it workes in practice, has solid mathematical
and scientific background and confirmed also no less by pro computor
program with an overload
calculation points to ensure accuracy. And then you say I should do
this or that, probably to pursue the likes of money, go for it etc
even tho my interests do not lie in that direction. My life as an
engineer was to pursue knoweledge and even tho retired I still persue
same, money is nice but it is not everything if you have enough.
No Peter you make me sick with your actions of prejudgement and
heckling so one cannot be heard. Well Peter it is ham radio's loss
because I and others who want to share and give back to the hobby are
unable to do so because of the
attitude of so called 'know it alls'.
To those who are new to this group I am sorry you are around to see
the worst part of this newsgroup especially when there are so many
well intentioned people, so many people with knoweledge, and then we
get a few people like those who feel they have ownership to a
frequency and talk like they just had more than a few beers and
believe their utterances are interlectual. The hobby has had such
people for a long time, hopefully you will hang around and stay with
the hobby so these people don't win and the hobby dies

Art Unwin KB9MZ....XG

Old December 10th 03, 10:35 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Whining Art, defender of wackos, cries:

Look at bums
comments about Tom one of the most knoweledgeable people in the field
and bum comes along and states that Tom's page is full of errors.

The most "knoweledgeable people" attacked and ridiculed my posting (truth,
reality) about the current in the antenna loading coils. I didn't take it
laying down and defended the truth and reality. My argument was supported by
others on this NG who contributed to factual discussion, as it should be. You
should be "crying for me Argentina" and not for that technical impostor. Based
on at least five times past experience, Tom ridicules others if they do not
sing his wrong gospel. If he is proven to be wrong, then he goes QRT (that is
quiet) and later emerges as a "guru" proclaiming new, corrected gospel. Proof
is on the pages of reflectors in the past.
In your glorious career, you should have learned difference between someone
pointing out "more errors" and "full of errors." Be careful what you accusing
someone of.
Try to get this: if you have, know something and want opinions from "this
group" then you present the problem, facts and stand your ground. You either
find out that you are either right (and convince, educate others) or you were
wrong (and learned something).
If you try to convince me (as per your patent) that reflector is a director, I
will not swallow it.
If Tom and his cult followers want to believe that loading coil has the same
current at both ends, more power to them, they can worship pages of his
"gospel" and feel good about being wrong. I could care less and wouldn't cry
that they do not "worship" me. I have a life outside of radio (itsa hobby/sport
to me), I try to help others, but I could care less about "recognition" from
those who don't get it.
You parading as the "suffering brother" of Chipster, says it all.

As they say, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Enough of psychoanalysis, back to the antennas.

Yuri, da radio k3BU/m
who can't fix stupid
Old December 10th 03, 05:21 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Well there you have it Peter a reflection of the types of
people that follow you It seems that like minds attract
like people. You should be very happy with the company of the Doctor
and the bum their technical support, but remember the next time you
want to get on somebody's back you dom't always get a free ride.
Have a nice Xmas Hunk with that wonderful accomodating wife
you obviously have.
I will now retreat to the more academic side of things
with respect to antennas with the group where I can learn
which I find more interesting than personal derogatory
remarks pointed at individuals
Art

Old December 11th 03, 12:51 AM
Peter O. Brackett

Art:

Ahhh... Finally, I've figured out what you want!

You only want to participate in a NewsGroup where there appear *only*
the assertions of the posters... A NG from your own personal Nirvana,
where...

There are no questions, retorts, alternative or contrary views, etc...

You share much in common with Dr. Cohen, for such was Chip's wish as well.

Art, since the open and free USENET groups mostly operate according to the
principles of democracy and the scientific method, where there is a free and
open discussion devoid of threats, pleas and complaints of unfairness, this
present NG rec.radio.amateur.antenna is not really able to support your
desires.

What you *need* is a moderated newsgroup.

Specifically Ary, you need a NG which has a NG moderator who has been
trained to accomodate folks like yourself and the Chipster who desire to
make
unsubstantiated scientific assertions to an adoring and compliant audience
of non-experts.

The only problem you face in this is to find an accomodating and pliable NG
moderator to operate your group. Call it
rec.radio.amateur.antenna.assertions.only.

The moderator of r.r.a.a.o must be one who suppresses dissent and opposing
with appropriate vigour.
Sigh, you face a tough problem. I can only think of a few such worthies.
How about,
Osama bin Laden, B. Mousolinni, Mullah Omar, Ayatolla Khomeni, Sadam
Hussein,
A. Hitler, J. Stalin, the Grand Inquisition, or the Pope of Rome come to
mind.

Or... if you cannot recruit such a worthy to moderate a USENET NG for you,
perhaps
you could take the route that the Chipster took and start your own moderated
WWW
site where you moderated it yourself and only your own unsubstantiated
assertions and
worshipful supporters are posted!

Get real Art, the scientific method demands dissent! We don't need your
kind of
syncophantic types here!

--
Peter K1PO

Old December 11th 03, 08:45 PM
k4wge

(Art Unwin KB9MZ) wrote in message m...

Peter, the ham community is full of people who know it all each
with their own followers that tailgate and throw barbs.
When Chip came up with Fractals he shared it on this newsgroup...

There is some dispute whether Cohen "came up" with Fractals.

Some history from http://www.tsc.upc.es/eef/:

Background

1940's. L.J.Chu and H.Wheeler stablish a fundamental limit on the
performance of small antennas.

1960's. Several research teams at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, University of California and Ohio State University
introduce the concept of frequency-independent antennas. The
self-scaling concept gives place to the log-periodic dipole array and
to the spiral antennas.

1970's. B. Mandelbrot coins the term 'Fractal'. Such a name is used to
describe a family of geometrical objects that defy the traditional
rules of the Euclidean geometry. Later on, Mandelbrot states that such
a weird fractal shapes are, in fact, among the most common forms in
nature.

1980's. D.Jaggard et al. coin the term 'Fractal Electrodynamics'.
Electromagnetics and Fractal Geometry blend into a novel discipline.
The interaction of fractal bodies and electromagnetic waves are
investigated and some relationships between common fractal properties
and the scattered electromagnetic waves are established.

1990's. The first reported fractal multiband antennas are introduced
by C.Puente et al. from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya.
Also, the potentiallity of fractals to become small antennas is
introduced by the same research team and by N.Cohen from the
University of Boston.

Some Significant Milestones

1986-1993. Several authors theoretically investigate the
relationships between fractal arrays and their array factors. Some
fractal and array properties such as Fractal Dimension and Secondary
Lobe Ratio are linked for the first time.
1993, November. The potentiallity of fractal arrays to become
multifrequency arrays is introduced by C.Puente at the University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign during a graduate course discussion.

1994. Some prelimar ideas on multiband fractal arrays are presented by
C.Puente at an URSI meeting in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain.
Further work on such ideas gives place to a paper that is submitted to
the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation in May 1994, and
published in May 1996.

1995, May. After several months working on the invention of the
Sierpinski antenna, the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya finally
applies for the patent on Fractal and Multifractal Antennas . Such
results proved the feasibility of fractals to become multiband
antennas (i.e., antennas that keep the same parameters at several
frequency bands). A paper reporting the first results is submitted to
IEE Electronics Letters.

1995, Summer. Some preliminar ideas on fractal small antennas are
suggested by N.Cohen from the Boston University.

1996-1998. The first reported experimental results on fractal
multiband antennas are published by the Electromagnetics & Photonics
Engineering research team from the Universitat Politècnica de
Catalunya.

1998. The Koch monopole becomes the first reported fractal small
antenna that improves the features of some classical antennas in terms
of bandwidth, resonance frequency and radiation resistance. Whether
such antennas are bounded to the fundamental limits on small antennas
is still a topic under investigation.

1998. The Fractal Team from the Electromagnetics & Photonics
Engineering group (UPC), in cooperation with FractusTM the Fractal
AntennasTM company from the Sistemas Radiantes F.Moyano S.A. group,
develope the first commercial multiband fractal shape antennas for GSM
+ DCS cellular phone systems.