Old April 8th 05, 02:21 PM
Landshark

"Steveo" wrote in message
jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

On 07 Apr 2005 23:32:45 GMT, Steveo wrote in
:

snip

I suppose they drive like that everyplace..it's a matter of being in
the wrong place at the wrong time, or your truck is a magnet. I have
one of those too.

I think -I'm- the magnet. The Dart I drove in college was hit 5 times,
the LTD got hit twice before it was totalled, the S-15 was rear-ended
by an ambulance, the LeBaron was hit three times in two weeks, etc.
I've had the S-10 for two years and it's been hit twice -- both times
while it was parked! All in Spokane. Fortunately, I've only been hit
once when I had a passenger, and that was the ambulance wreck so at
least there was help available if someone got hurt.

Ok, I'm stepping off the soap box now.....

got hit by a beer distributor saleswoman (go figure) and enjoyed the
bennies of not reporting it hehehe

Must have been a lot of beer or a very minor ding.

Ha! I knew one of those that drove her Bud van right thru the front
of a shot and beer bar. Too much sampling the product.

hey bud so bristol was almost a wash with all the rain eh? good race.

Yea, Saturday was downright miserable, it went down below freezing at
night too but the furnace did the trick.

I know how you feel Mopar. I was in Arizona a few weeks
back, off roading north of Phoenix and it rained all day
Saturday. Muddy as hell, still cleaning that crap off the
Bronco.

That's a long camper haul up
and down those hills they call mountains in Virginia and W Virginia..

14 hour drive to and from for one of the guys that lives
local to me. I had my Bronco trucked down, then flew,
much easier.

That place is killer!

Sounds like it, glad you had fun.

Landshark

--
Most true happiness comes
from one's inner life, from the

Old April 8th 05, 04:17 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:34:18 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:53:34 -0400, Dave Hall wrote:

My hat's off to Vinnie for trying to at least swing the discussions
back to radio related topics, as opposed to the sniping and bickering
over politics and who's gay.

Totally ****ing amazing. I ask a CB antenna question is a CB newsgroup, the the
****ing demons come out. Well, I am glad about one thing. People here are
finally getting to see who he assholes are.

The silent majority have known for a long time.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old April 8th 05, 06:28 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:44:59 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On 07 Apr 2005 23:32:45 GMT, Steveo wrote in
:

snip
I suppose they drive like that everyplace..it's a matter of being in
the wrong place at the wrong time, or your truck is a magnet. I have
one of those too.

I think -I'm- the magnet. The Dart I drove in college was hit 5 times,
the LTD got hit twice before it was totalled, the S-15 was rear-ended
by an ambulance, the LeBaron was hit three times in two weeks, etc.
I've had the S-10 for two years and it's been hit twice -- both times
while it was parked! All in Spokane. Fortunately, I've only been hit
once when I had a passenger, and that was the ambulance wreck so at
least there was help available if someone got hurt.

There's something cosmic about that. I've had 2 major accidents in my
whole life, and both were in the same car. Neither were my fault.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj
Old April 8th 05, 06:30 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:52:43 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:48:31 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:41:39 GMT, Lancer wrote:

Nope. And I was in Bethlehem today. And I am in Allentown quite often. I cover
the eastern part of PA. But he is **** to me. He means nothing in my life. I
won't go look for him, and waste my time. He issued the the challenge. I never
issued an challenge to meet him. He came on this board, and put his challenge on
the archive, and said he was going to take pictures of my antennas, and post
them. There is no way he can do that, the way my property is laid out. He would
physically have to go onto my property. And once he does that he is fair game.
And since all this is in black and white, and I know his call sign, the FCC has
the evidence they need.

Believe me. I have nothing to worry about.

Vinnie S.

You don't believe his callsign is WA3MOJ do you?

I don't know what to believe from him. But if some lardass steps foot on my
property, I will look thru his wallet for ID will I hold his face in the dirt.
And if he doesn't have a wallet, then I will get the info from the car.

.....oh brother, he's a crybaby -and- a tough-guy. This is just too
good to be true!

Maybe he is a true tough guy. Stranger things have happened.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
Old April 8th 05, 06:38 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:21:41 -0400, (I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:

Ok. Since you asked, I'm going to spill some beans, here. Doug lost
control when he came on here. When it was found that he had real
problems of the mind, I immediately backed off my responses to him. It's
not fair and it's not right to hit a child because they hit you. A
simple reprimand every once in a while is sufficient. Mopar handles that
quite well. In fact, the mere fact that Mopar handles Dogie as he does,
is testament how serious he takes Dogie's threats.
**Frank?.....well, Frank and I went around concerning the legality
issue. Now that the dx is much more sporadic and less, I'm more legal
than Dave or Leland. After a few emails, I found Frank to be not that
different from myself regarding certain key life skills, education.
Even when we disagreed, I could learn something from Frank, as he was at
least consistent with all his positions. Dave, otoh, has
self-contradicted himself so many times and is known on this group by
the majority as a major hypocrite. Such instantly compromises whatever
integrity he managed to retain, which, after taking his posts concerning
the defense of Dogie into consideration, is zero.

Twist, I'm not going to go around with you on

this. I'm sure just like Mopar & Frank, things

got off to a bad start, hopefully in the future

things will be better, though one of them most

likely have to breakdown and bury the hatchet.

,,,,why would one attack another for no reason?
Frank has a very condescending type of tone,

but unfortunately when typing one can't tell the "
tone" of the type if they haven't been around it

for a while.

That's another parallel. Frank went as far as to come out and say "I'm
an asshole" on occasion. Way back during my infancy of arrival, I stated
I do not play well with others, do not much care what others think for
the most part, and work better alone. This leads to self-created
problems for a certain type of personality when they encounter people
such as Frank or myself, especially when they possess a controlling
personality, an unquenchable yearning and hunger for status, and are
used to most people in their world deferring to them. Dave falls into
this category. He speaks of other's feelings being hurt because -his-
feelings are hurt. He projects and regurgitates all over usenet, just as
he did in trying to say he never blamed anyone for the Dogie/Geo mess.
He most certianly has, on many occasion, and has used the
legality/illegality as his excuse to act the fool.

**Lelnad,,well, his hatred of cb is well documented, yet he remains
here for the education. If that isn't enough, his unprovoked attacks
against dxers (Nebo comes to mind immediately, just for starters)
confirms his agenda.

Yep. you're alright, it's the rest of the world that's crazy.

Once again, your inability to comprehend subtleties combined with your
confusion of which of your "bad guy of the day" said what, has you so
befuddled, you make erroneous accusations of others, and then call
them hypocrites when they correct your mistakes.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old April 8th 05, 06:59 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:07:20 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:05:25 -0400, Dave Hall
wrote in :

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:26:18 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:41:07 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

snip
Should I return it?

Probably. If you want a decent antenna that you can use for both CB
-and- ham you should check out that link for the $4 cheapie (that I
provided in a post without insult). It will probably cost -you- about
$20 more because it requires a tuner which you probably don't have.
The idea is to just throw a couple wires in the trees and load them up
with the tuner -- that's it. It works better than any Imax or Antron,
it can be used for whatever power and spectrum is handled by the tuner
(usually 2-30 MHz), you can change the antenna at any time, you don't
have to worry about SWR, it's cheap, and it's so easy even a Geico
customer can do it.

A tuner-fed non-resonent length dipole is not the best solution for
CB.

Neither is an Imax.

True. But the dipole solution will not be any better.

It is woefully inefficient

Compared to what.... a 7-el beam?

Any vertical antenna with gain.

and would be the wrong polarity for the
majority of CB work.

Doesn't matter. It gets the best of both worlds. That is, unless you
are so anal that you think any dipole must be both horizontal and
perfectly straight.

Polarity losses are negligible for DX work, but local talk is not so
forgiving.

They worked well on the ham bands because most
H.F contacts are DX in nature and you're relying on atmospheric
propagation to do most of the work. Try to work another ham 30 miles
away on the H.F bands and it is surprising how difficult it can be
with those wire antennas.

Maybe you had difficulty, but there are a very large number of hams
-and- CBers who don't share your ineptitude.

A dipole is a dipole. It has 0 db of gain, and that assumes a resonant
dipole . If the dipole is non-resonant and requires a tuner to force
an impedance match, it will have further losses. It won't stand a
chance against a commercially produced (or home made if you are
so-inclined) 5/8th wave vertical (with proper radials, not an Imax).

I've done this type of
antenna myself and never had any problems with local contacts -- in
fact, it worked a lot better than the 9' whip on the truck.

I find that very hard to believe, assuming identical height and
conditions, as my own experiences prove otherwise.

I ran a home brewed wire dipole on CB years ago, and used it in
addition to my main 5/8th wave antenna. While the dipole worked well
when the skip was running, locally, the signal from the dipole was a
few "S" units less than the ground plane. With 4 watts of power, you
don't get much range on a horizontal wire dipole strung in a tree.

Well there's your problem, Dave -- I didn't say anything about
horizontal. On the contrary, it's better if it isn't.

Yea, if you're talking local. For DX, horizontal is usually better for
a number of reasons, most notably a lower noise floor and better take
off angle.

Like I said
before, just throw some wire up into the trees (or whatever tall
object happens to be available). Didn't you read the link I posted?

Of course. But a dipole is a basic antenna. It has no gain. A properly
made purpose built CB antenna will out perform it.

Let's look at this from a practical standpoint. If a non-resonant,
tuner fed dipole worked so well, then why aren't all CB'ers using one?
Why would people want huge 5/8th wave antennas then? Better tell Jay
to forget about selling his Interceptor, since a simple non-resonant
dipole will work just as well and for far less money.

A non-resonant dipole has ONE big advantage. It's a compromise antenna
that will work on all the HF bands. That's great if you don't have the
room to put up single band antennas for each band. But like any
compromise, it will not work as well as a dedicated antenna for each
band. Such a compromise is usually acceptable for a ham who has 1500
watts on tap. But for a 4 watt CB'er, who needs to squeeze every watt
of ERP he can for best local range, he needs a high gain efficient
antenna.

For ham band use, I agree with you, just not for CB.

What's the name of that tech school, Dave?

What's your call sign Frank?

Frank, your experience with both ham and CB radio is sorely lacking.
You read a few books and web sites and think you have all the answers.
OTOH, I've walked the walk for the last 30+ years and have played with
more antennas and equipment than I can remember. I have also been in
contact with people in the know when it comes to antennas. What I
know, I know through experience, and that's worth 10X what you read in
any book.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old April 8th 05, 09:45 PM
Steveo

"Landshark" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That's a long camper haul up
and down those hills they call mountains in Virginia and W Virginia..

14 hour drive to and from for one of the guys that lives
local to me. I had my Bronco trucked down, then flew,
much easier.

Man the fuel prices suck!
Old April 8th 05, 10:02 PM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:30:51 -0400, Dave Hall wrote:

Believe me. I have nothing to worry about.

Vinnie S.

You don't believe his callsign is WA3MOJ do you?

I don't know what to believe from him. But if some lardass steps foot on my
property, I will look thru his wallet for ID will I hold his face in the dirt.
And if he doesn't have a wallet, then I will get the info from the car.

.....oh brother, he's a crybaby -and- a tough-guy. This is just too
good to be true!

And it don't look like I am the only one !!!

I did a little search on you in the archives. This is precious.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/... 2f3b40d85682

Maybe he is a true tough guy. Stranger things have happened.

It's a amazing what a little info you can get on a poster's history on Google,
Dave. My favorite about this info on Frank, it the imaginary McDonald's, and the
fishing trip he had at the lake in a storm !!!!

Vinnie S.
Old April 8th 05, 10:18 PM
Steveo

Lancer wrote:
On 08 Apr 2005 20:45:44 GMT, Steveo wrote:

"Landshark" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That's a long camper haul up
and down those hills they call mountains in Virginia and W
Virginia..

14 hour drive to and from for one of the guys that lives
local to me. I had my Bronco trucked down, then flew,
much easier.

Man the fuel prices suck!

$2.18 here Steve... Glad my car gets almost 30 mpg...

I spent about $300 in fuel round-trip to Bristol. ugh
Old April 8th 05, 10:28 PM
Steveo

Lancer wrote:

"Landshark" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That's a long camper haul up
and down those hills they call mountains in Virginia and W
Virginia..

14 hour drive to and from for one of the guys that lives
local to me. I had my Bronco trucked down, then flew,
much easier.

Man the fuel prices suck!

$2.18 here Steve... Glad my car gets almost 30 mpg...

I spent about $300 in fuel round-trip to Bristol. ugh

Money isn't worth anything unless you spend it...

Words to live by..