Old January 29th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default 102" whip

You would change your numbers to justify your argument. That is if you
would ever run a test.

Then why even waste your time telling me to run the test? You're not
making any sense, tnom. My guess is that you changed -your- numbers,
or fudged them during the test, to make them consistent with your
anticipated results

Well then you don't know the history behind me running the antenna
tests. Could it be that I wanted to debunk the X-terminator?

Guess what? I did want to debunk it, but I couldn't. Numbers don't
lie, just people. Sound familiar?

Bad attempt at selective snipping, tnom. Here's the -whole- paragraph
as I wrote it:

Then why even waste your time telling me to run the test? You're not
making any sense, tnom. My guess is that you changed -your- numbers,
or fudged them during the test, to make them consistent with your
anticipated results -regardless- of what you stated as your reason for
running the tests, which was most likely a lie intented to add a false
legitimacy to the results. After all, why would you (or anyone else
for that matter) buy an expensive antenna when you expected it to
fail? That doesn't make any sense either, tnom.

Gee, why am I not suprised that you resort to deceptive tactics when
your test results are contested?

Do the right thing and accept the challenge, tnom.

The only thing of substance that was different was this

"After all, why would you (or anyone else
for that matter) buy an expensive antenna when you expected it to
fail? That doesn't make any sense either, tnom."

I guess I can answer that. It may be a waste of money for you but
it's pennies to me.
Old January 29th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Seeing how you brought up the bending of the antenna..........
Another disadvantage of the 102" ss whip is the gain lost because of
this bending. It is significant.

Where are your test results showing a "significant" loss of gain with
a wind-bent antenna?

Don't even need a test on this one.

1. It can be mathematically calculated. ( I'll let you do that)

2. It looses gain bad enough that you can actually see it and
hear it. Example :

Two vehicles are traveling together down the expressway at 75mph.
One uses a K-40. The other a 102" whip. Both appear to have similar
maximum S-meter readings but the 102 " whips signal fades in and out
The K-40 does some fading but not nearly as deep as the 102".
Old January 29th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:42:48 -0500, wrote:

+On 24 Jan 2006 19:28:09 -0800,
wrote:
+
+Im thinking of getting a 102" whip, I dont think I need the spring
+because of where im mounting it. But is it nessesary? Should I get it
+with the whip ?
+
+Here's another antenna test post I dug out of the archives.
+
+********************************************
+
+ I did this test a few years ago (minus the Wilson), at least as best
+I could. The problem is that when swapping the magmounts the
+position might change a little bit. If the position changes a little
+bit then the measured field strength may change a little bit also.
+Seeing how all of these antennas are very close to begin with
+then you have to wonder if the results may be off just a little bit?
+
+Anyway's, I did run the test and attempted to calibrate the results
+in db's . The calibration may be off a little bit, but the order from
+the best to the worst as I measured IS accurate.
+
+Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
+K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
+Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
+5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
+6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
+108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
+7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db
+
+Of coarse since the time of this test I have found
+and measured even better antennas. Of these the
+practical ones all use large diameter masting made of
+highly conductive material. A large diameter, air spaced
+overall antenna height

******
Were these antennae used as the transmitting or receiving antennae?
If transmitting antennae then what was the receiving antenna and
receiving equiptment. Second unknown is the path loss between the
transmiting antenna and the receiving antenna. Third item what was the
gain(dBi) of the receiving antenna. Without the above data, the above
results meaningless.

james
Old January 29th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:56:45 -0500, wrote in
:

as I wrote it:

[...]

Then it shouldn't be a problem to gamble mere pennies to have your
test verified independently. In fact, why don't you fly over and
monitor the test for yourself, Mr. Moneybags? Unless you live in
Timbuktu the lines will take longer than the flight. And just to make
it worthwhile I can provide a whole itinerary of places to go and
things to do while you're here. We have great skiing (49 Degrees North
has about 70" at the base and 120" at the summit with 15" of new snow
as of yesterday, and that's about the same for most of the resorts).
The falls are flowing pretty high right now too, and there's a
platform at the bottom where you can stand and feel the ground
literally shake beneath your feet while you get wet from the spray. We
have an Imax theater and huge ice-skating rink right in the middle of
Riverfront Park. And I know this great little blues club that serves
up some killer chicken wings. I also think there's a hamfest coming up
soon. And I still have friends at the station who will let me take you
on a tour so you can see what a -real- "driver" looks like. They might
even let you climb the tower to replace the lamps (if you don't mind a
little ice and bird ****).

So come on over, it'll be fun!!!

Old January 30th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

You are wasting your time. I want nothing to do with you or your
proposal.

What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?

There must be something wrong with Usenet..... for some reason I can't
seem to get the message through to tnom that I would be putting up the
antenna -and- $200..... hello?..... testing 1, 2, 3, 4,..... is this
darn thing working?

What doesn't make sense. You putting up $200 for a $50 antenna?

I agree. You don't make sense.
Old January 30th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:11:34 -0500, wrote in
:

Seeing how you brought up the bending of the antenna..........
Another disadvantage of the 102" ss whip is the gain lost because of
this bending. It is significant.

Where are your test results showing a "significant" loss of gain with
a wind-bent antenna?

Don't even need a test on this one.

In your own words:

"If you really wanted to prove it you'd run the test. You don't
because it would upset your thinking on antennas."

"A test is better than no test."

1. It can be mathematically calculated. ( I'll let you do that)

"I don't care what makes it bad. Do the test then you can hypothesize
as to why it didn't perform."

2. It looses gain bad enough that you can actually see it and
hear it. Example :

Two vehicles are traveling together down the expressway at 75mph.
One uses a K-40. The other a 102" whip. Both appear to have similar
maximum S-meter readings but the 102 " whips signal fades in and out
The K-40 does some fading but not nearly as deep as the 102".

"All we need are the facts. Just the facts. Go get the
facts. Run the test and stop posturing."

But I think this one is closer to the truth:

"You are not going to get a definitive answer from me, just
conjecture."