Old June 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old friend

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewith other.

Dee Flint wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
Dee Flint wrote:

73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

You have extracted something from my post that was never there. No one has
ever said that the purpose of hams knowing code was to hear a ship sending
an SOS.

wrong again Dee Flint amny have said exactly that wether you have ever
been amoug them

In addition, he might have a light rigged for cw, which he could see as he
moved about the room.

backpedal

Digital modes fail on a regular basis due to static, auroras, etc.

they do

How many times, say during Katrina did this occour

or for that matter name an insitance where digital mode failed , in an
emergency and Cw encoded morse got through and saved the day

It's a
good idea to have a non-voice, non-computer alternative.

why?

a clear alternive is to increase the over all number of stations to
decrease the chance that progation will fail to devlier the message
some where

and How does CW testing produce a working CW listening station

Dee Flint, N8UZE

Old June 23rd 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"DrDeath" wrote in message
"Steveo" wrote in message

LOL, I sure have no interest in CW. I must still be young :-P

The highest level of interest for learning the code is among the young.

then based on the seenses at VE testing Morse Code is truly doomed

why is it that you want tot eh ARS to go down with it?

Dee Flint, N8UZE

Old June 23rd 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old friend

David wrote:
Recently I can across a "music" track that is about 5 minutes long that
teaches Morse by the sound of the characters.

If you would find this helpful I may be able to get a copy of it and
place it on an ftp server for you.

Regards

David

not clear who you are addresing

but this method get tried on most dyslexics and rarely works

why gald I asked becuase most dyslexcs ebd up doing the easier for us
task on meoris 5 minutes of letter (learn though correcting our efforts
at the end) rather managing to sort of the tone

In Dyslexia, ones is up against one own brain and the methods one has
learned to work around the misfiring nurons most dyslexic learn very
effectve methods of dealing with, and the btter the devolped method is
the harder it is to defeat. Code testing tries to channel one down a
path of limited choices

Old June 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

Typing and reading are visually based. So it makes sense that those are
problem. But do you have difficulty saying words or hearing them? Just
because the typing is a problem, doesn't mean that the aural/spoken is a
problem. Reading/writing is a different activity than hearing/speaking

and
uses different parts of the brain. While I can't imagine a graphical

method
working for a dyslexic since it's visual, who can say for sure.

you claim to have certain knowledge of whta is and isn't possible

you are probably correct. linguistics is mainly concerned with spoken
language, not written. in some languages like English, you'll note that
people kind of speak the words out in their brain. other languages like
Mandarin seem to be converted directly from characters into ideas.

ok, what burns me up is people claiming they can't learn code. there are
languages that are tonal, configurational, have bizarre sounds, that put the
object before the subject, that have thousands of characters. 99% of the
planet learns their native language!

code is NOT that different than a language. if you must, you can interpret
it as tones, and simply write out the tones on a piece of paper and decode
them.

Gravity

Old June 23rd 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

By the way, I still have problems with longer characters now and then or
combinations of certain characters. I had an awful time trying to copy

call sign in a contest that began with SH5 (3 dots, 4 dots, 5 dots).

and you dare claim it must be doable by everyone else

same here!

i have trouble with high speed B, 6, 1, J. however, you can create a
practice regimen that focuses on these.

a trick for contests might be using a spectrograph or MFJ viewer. good
luck.

Gravity

Old June 23rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

By the way, I still have problems with longer characters now and then or
combinations of certain characters. I had an awful time trying to copy

call sign in a contest that began with SH5 (3 dots, 4 dots, 5 dots).

and you dare claim it must be doable by everyone else

good practice is beacons e.g. 10 meters. they are terse text, contain
slashes, and 5s since i hear Texas ones.

you sort of have to "decode" what the beacon is talking about.

Gravity

Old June 23rd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

How many times, say during Katrina did this occour

uh, if you are deserted on an island with a few buckets of electronics junk,
your best bet is CW.

if you a prisoner of war, CW could be invaluable in getting a message out.
there are many other cases where CW can be used in channels that don't
support audio.

i am a superior creature because i know CW! ;-)

Gravity

Old June 23rd 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

I am a superior creature because I know the NECA code, as CW will not pay
your bills.

i'm a professional contester! (it violates the rules, but we do it anyway.)

Gravity

Old June 24th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

and I can send sos with spark gap off a batery without knowing anymore
than that

your engineering skill is formidable.

Gravity

Old June 24th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old freind

gravity wrote:
and I can send sos with spark gap off a batery without knowing anymore
than that

your engineering skill is formidable.

possibly it is certainly more valueble the the mereknowledge of Morse
code is without the level of engineering skill I have

BTW I note myone of my double majors was Physics and a phisists can
general anything the various engineers can we just take a lot longer to
do it (and make more mistakes than tsomeone trains to think inside the
box of a given engineering type

Gravity