Old August 7th 03, 04:05 PM
RP Henry

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered multiple
fatal shocks.

That explains the hair.

Old August 7th 03, 04:17 PM
mullens

Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

My father had a 30kV (I think) shock (from a radar test set).
He went unconscious and many years later one could still see the scar
from the burn.

Old August 7th 03, 04:34 PM
Titus Pomponius Atticus

Once... 990 vac at 30 amps for a split second from right hand to left hand.
Stopped breathing, no heart beat but still aware for a few seconds.

How quiet everything got! Oh, I could still hear my coworkers laughing as I slid
to the floor, but the normal, unnoticed noises of respiration and circulation
were gone. About the time my vision started to go (seeing green, purple, black
splotches, all else fading), my heart gave a great single beat then took off
into tachycardia, then settled after a few seconds into a normal but fast
rhythm. I could breath and see again, but was too weak to get up for several
minutes. By this time the coworkers had figured out things were a bit more
serious and I was helped to my feet. That's when I noticed the burn on one hand,
where my thumb knuckle had brushed the case of the defective amplifier. It never
really hurt, the burn spot, but my chest muscles were sore for a week, also took
about that long for my strength return to normal.

I've been shocked many times before and since, but that was the closest I got to
buying the tiny farm.

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:29:46 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.

Old August 7th 03, 05:10 PM
warren weber

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

In 1948 I was working for Westinghouse motor and transformer repair. We had
a LARGE transformer from a sub station to rewind. Always pot checked when
repaired for insulation break down with 4000 volts. The hot lead had a pin
hole in the insulation and the superintendent would not replace it. Had the
worker wrap it with electrical tape. STUPID. The worker went ahead and used
it. To reach the insulator tip the worker stood on a metal barrel covered
with 2 by 4 wood. As the power was applied the 4K volts went through the
hand, came out the foot and blew him off the barrel. He survived but had bad
burns on hand and foot. No OSHA in those days. A week later I resigned
from that job. Warren

Old August 7th 03, 05:14 PM
EEng

wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.

1982 at Beal AFB while installing a 2.4MegKVA UPS system I received an
arc'd shock from a 992V DC Link that should have left nothing but a
pile of dust where I had been. For reasons unknown, it instead
through me 18ft against the opposite wall leaving nothing more than a
2 inch burn mark on my elbow, although it did take almost 4 hours for
my breathing to return to normal and I suffered extreme headaches for
3 days. It was also necessary to change both my underwear and pants.
To this day my left elbow is extremely and painfully sensitive.

Old August 7th 03, 05:47 PM
A E

Paul Burridge wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:33:24 GMT, "Harris"
wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due

Yes it is. 'Fatal' doesn't have any slack in its definition. You could modify it
by adding 'near' as a prefix.

course, but would like to give a few others a chance to guess what I'm
driving at (this isn't some sort of joke BTW).
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill