Old August 8th 03, 04:29 AM
Eric Immel

Paul Burridge wrote:
Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?
[.sig_snip]

My first clear memory of my life is the few minutes immediately after of
my dad's warning me not to poke a finger in a light socket while he
fetched a new bulb. Dad left the room and 2-3 year old Eric headed
straight for the (now empty) lamp socket. Amazing how clear a memory can
be after decades.

The closest death by electrocution I've suffered was in the mid 1980's.
Our disposal protocol required us to let air into CRTs. For some reason,
I powered up the monitor before I disposed of it. I unplugged it, took
the back off, donned my leather gloves, grabbed my uninsulated pliers
and, with one hand on the steel case, snipped the nipple off of the 25"
CRT. I remember the world getting almost completely covered by a big
dark. I didn't get thrown or loose consciousness. My arm ached for a
little while, that big dark is still with me from time to time.

Paul, are you asking if anyone has been killed, then revived? If anyone
has made that journey, I'd be curious to know if your experience was
similar to people who have survived a "fatal" drowning (great peace,
white light, etc.).

EI

Old August 8th 03, 04:50 AM
Michael A. Terrell

RP Henry wrote:

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message

"WB3FUP (Mike Hall)" wrote in message
10KV to fire magnetron in counter battery radar. Took six marines to

stop
me from burying my screw driver in the chest of the asshole that thought

it
would be cute to push the radiate button.

I remember hearing the story of an Air Force tech working on a 30' radar
dish. For some dumb reason, someone energized it and promptly microwaved
him to death.

Some of these stories are hair rasing... and I'm too much of a weenie to
stick my tongue on a 9V battery...

A Raytheon corporate legend is that one of the engineers discovered the
microwave oven principle when a radar melted a chocolate bar in his shirt
pocket.

I find that very interesting, since every chocolate bar I have ever
had was wrapped in aluminum foil.
--

Its August 5, 2003, so I'm 51 today!
Michael A. Terrell

Old August 8th 03, 06:52 AM
Wade Hassler

Paul Burridge wrote in message . ..
The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.

480 volt compost turner was activated while I had my hands inside.
Threw me into a pile of (mostly) chicken manure.
Wade H

Old August 8th 03, 09:32 AM
Ian Buckner

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:05:50 -0700, "RP Henry" richard.p.henry@saic

dot
com wrote:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has

anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have

survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered

multiple
fatal shocks.

That explains the hair.

He is a cat.

--

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs http://www3.sympatico.ca/borism/
Aurora, Ontario

Win just haunts this newsgroup.

Regards
Ian

;-)

Old August 8th 03, 09:32 AM
Ian Buckner

com wrote:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Paul Burridge wrote...

Old August 8th 03, 10:05 AM
Paul Burridge

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:29:47 GMT, Eric Immel
wrote:

Paul, are you asking if anyone has been killed, then revived?

That's pretty close to what I'm getting at. What I *am* actually get
at is that theoretical physicists are coming around to the rather
extraordinary view that one cannot from one's own perspective be
killed by any sudden and dramatic life event. No matter how bad the
shock, you will always 'come around' to find that you've survived. The
tricky bit is that you'll probably have found yourself in a different
reality to the one you left. In the one you've left, observers will
see your cold, dead, smoking body lying sparko on the ground. Your
relatives will grieve, your obituary will be written. But *you* won't
know anything of that. You'll just believe you've had a lucky escape;
you'll go home and tell your friends and family all about it and years
later maybe you'll tell others via the Internet. Sounds nuts?
Incredible as it may seem, the majority of physicists currently
working in this field now believe this to be the case! And we're
talking world-class theoreticians here, not just the kooks who post to
alt.sci.theories.

For further info, try Googling for the following:
Many Worlds theory
Max Tegel
Quantum suicide experiment
Quantum Theory of Imortality
David Deutsche
Schroedinger's Cat
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Old August 8th 03, 11:21 AM
A E

"Bob Lewis (AA4PB)" wrote:

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each

hand.

Does that imply that he had three hands or did he just get hold of two
phases of a 3-phase system? :-)

Maybe we don't want to know what was the third 'hand'....