Old August 7th 03, 11:03 PM
Tom Coates

A former member of the Air Force told me about a safety training video
narrated by a transmitter tech who did not observe *all* the procedures. He
survived to make the video, but as a double amputee.

I was told that this training video was part of the curriculum for so many
years that the principal character became somewhat of a celebrity. Perhaps
someone with more direct knowledge can add or correct the details.

Tom, N3IJ

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Old August 7th 03, 11:56 PM
Bob Lewis \(AA4PB\)

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each
hand.

Does that imply that he had three hands or did he just get hold of two
phases of a 3-phase system? :-)

Old August 8th 03, 12:06 AM
Tony Roe

Not as spectacular as the other stories here, my experience was with a Tascam
data recorder - working on the front panel, (and, in retrospect, without due
care and attention) I discovered that just because the circuitry is miniaturized
and all the interconnects are ribbon cables does NOT guarantee some daft
designer at Tascam hasn't decided to sneak AC mains in amongst the signal
wiring.

On 7 Aug 2003 14:08:22 GMT, (Michael Black) wrote:
Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

Regards,
Tony (remove "_" from email address to reply)
Old August 8th 03, 12:06 AM
Tony Roe

Not as spectacular as the other stories here, my experience was with a Tascam
data recorder - working on the front panel, (and, in retrospect, without due
care and attention) I discovered that just because the circuitry is miniaturized
and all the interconnects are ribbon cables does NOT guarantee some daft
designer at Tascam hasn't decided to sneak AC mains in amongst the signal
wiring.

On 7 Aug 2003 14:08:22 GMT, (Michael Black) wrote:
Paul Burridge wrote...

Old August 8th 03, 12:36 AM
Robert Baer

Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

I died from one 20 years ago.

Old August 8th 03, 01:21 AM
Eric in the Evening

Haven't read all the posts yet, but...Way back in high school ('bout 65-66),
I was working on a TV set in electronics shop. I was in the back room, by
myself, and had just turned it off. I was following all safety procedures,
one hand to my side, other hand on the insulated screwdriver, prying off the
25Kv lead to the picture tube. Well we didn't know that the "decorative"
metal railing of the work bench was grounded. My hand slipped off of the
insulation onto the metal shaft off the screwdriver and I was leaning
against the workbench. Next thing I remember was that I was flat on my back,
with my head in the doorway, six feet from workbench. All the class were
gathered around the teacher who said "My God! He's alive!" Turns out, they
had heard the discharge (through me), and I had been out for at least 3-5
minutes. So I guess you could say I survived a "fatal" shock.

Years later, in the phone company, while reaching through some equipment to
get a wire being passed to me, my forehead touch the +400V and my wrist
touched a -400V of a telegraph (yes, telegraph) circuit. Didn't knock me out
but it sure stung.....

Eric KA6USJ

Old August 8th 03, 04:29 AM
Eric Immel

Paul Burridge wrote:
Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?
[.sig_snip]

My first clear memory of my life is the few minutes immediately after of
my dad's warning me not to poke a finger in a light socket while he
fetched a new bulb. Dad left the room and 2-3 year old Eric headed
straight for the (now empty) lamp socket. Amazing how clear a memory can
be after decades.

The closest death by electrocution I've suffered was in the mid 1980's.
Our disposal protocol required us to let air into CRTs. For some reason,
I powered up the monitor before I disposed of it. I unplugged it, took
the back off, donned my leather gloves, grabbed my uninsulated pliers
and, with one hand on the steel case, snipped the nipple off of the 25"
CRT. I remember the world getting almost completely covered by a big
dark. I didn't get thrown or loose consciousness. My arm ached for a
little while, that big dark is still with me from time to time.

Paul, are you asking if anyone has been killed, then revived? If anyone
has made that journey, I'd be curious to know if your experience was
similar to people who have survived a "fatal" drowning (great peace,
white light, etc.).

EI