Old August 8th 03, 04:40 PM
Alex Gibson

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message =
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:29:47 GMT, Eric Immel
wrote:
=20
Paul, are you asking if anyone has been killed, then revived?=20

=20
That's pretty close to what I'm getting at. What I *am* actually get
at is that theoretical physicists are coming around to the rather
extraordinary view that one cannot from one's own perspective be
killed by any sudden and dramatic life event. No matter how bad the
shock, you will always 'come around' to find that you've survived. The
tricky bit is that you'll probably have found yourself in a different
reality to the one you left. In the one you've left, observers will
see your cold, dead, smoking body lying sparko on the ground. Your
relatives will grieve, your obituary will be written. But *you* won't
know anything of that. You'll just believe you've had a lucky escape;
you'll go home and tell your friends and family all about it and years
later maybe you'll tell others via the Internet. Sounds nuts?
Incredible as it may seem, the majority of physicists currently
working in this field now believe this to be the case! And we're
talking world-class theoreticians here, not just the kooks who post to
alt.sci.theories.
=20
For further info, try Googling for the following:
Many Worlds theory
Max Tegel
Quantum suicide experiment
Quantum Theory of Imortality
David Deutsche
Schroedinger's Cat

Are yes, the multiverse people.

I think David Deutsche still has his page up on qubits.org

Alex
Old August 8th 03, 04:52 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:05:43 +0100, the renowned Paul Burridge
wrote:

That's pretty close to what I'm getting at. What I *am* actually get
at is that theoretical physicists are coming around to the rather
extraordinary view that one cannot from one's own perspective be
killed by any sudden and dramatic life event. No matter how bad the
shock, you will always 'come around' to find that you've survived. The
tricky bit is that you'll probably have found yourself in a different
reality to the one you left. In the one you've left, observers will
see your cold, dead, smoking body lying sparko on the ground. Your
relatives will grieve, your obituary will be written. But *you* won't
know anything of that. You'll just believe you've had a lucky escape;
you'll go home and tell your friends and family all about it and years
later maybe you'll tell others via the Internet.

Does that mean that my smoking/exploding MOSFETs have narrowly
survived their "both sides of the half-bridge on" event in some
parallel universe? How about my dog who got runned over (sic) when I
was 12? Is he happily chasing various critters somewhere?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Old August 8th 03, 05:44 PM
Gary S.

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:18:38 +1000, "Alex Gibson"
wrote:

Just stunned at the time. Had to take him for a ecg afterwards
standard precaution. No problems at the time.

But his health seemed to deteriate after that.
Maybe it triggered an existing condition.
Six months later he suffered a heart attack.

An immediate EKG may not have shown anything, but a follow-up by a
cardiologist might have shown problems.

From my own experiance, rf burns hurt more than
standard 50Hz ac or dc shocks even though I would have to
rate car iginition systems a close second.

RF frequency burns are nastier than DC or low frequency, and are much
more disruptive to the body's electrical/nervous system.

They can also burn internally, with little outward burn shown.

A co-worker some years ago was sloppy, and put a few hundred watts of
RF through his hand. Nasty burn which took a very long time to heal.
Over 15 years, but I bet he still has a scar.

My advice is to avoid zapping anything you can't buy at the parts
store.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old August 8th 03, 07:20 PM
Chris1

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

I find that very interesting, since every chocolate bar I have ever
had was wrapped in aluminum foil.

I always thought it was just shiny paper. There's not much Aluminum there,
if any.

Chris

Old August 8th 03, 07:45 PM
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'

In article ,
mentioned...
A former member of the Air Force told me about a safety training video
narrated by a transmitter tech who did not observe *all* the procedures. He
survived to make the video, but as a double amputee.

I was told that this training video was part of the curriculum for so many
years that the principal character became somewhat of a celebrity. Perhaps
someone with more direct knowledge can add or correct the details.

Tom, N3IJ

Well, that's a helluva way to become a celebrity! But on
observation, the amputee must've been a DOD civilian, because he
couldn't have remained in the AF without his legs. Or whatever was
amputated. Or maybe he did the narration after he had recovered and
was discharged.

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@