Old November 23rd 05, 06:21 AM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering \(jw\)

Default "Standard parts" for rf amps?

Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as yet I have
no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor question. A lot of
fancydancing but no answers.

Jim

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:55:26 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Well, just for starters, what does Spice say about a 1000 pf capacitor
with
either ½" lead lengths or a total of 1" of PCB trace at 150 MHz.?

Jim

When they matter, just poke in the appropriate series L or a bit of
transmission line. I use Spice now and then to sim picosecond stuff.
Even if the simulation isn't highly accurate, it helps train your
instincts, shows you which parasitics will have which effects, so when
you build the real thing you have a jump on the complexity.

Hell, 150 MHz is slow.

John

Old November 23rd 05, 09:43 AM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
John Devereux

"RST Engineering \(jw\)" writes:

Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as yet I have
no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor question. A lot of
fancydancing but no answers.

I am not an expert, but can you not just add a bit of series L to
approximate this? Or even transmission line for higher frequencies /
longer tracks.

I have had surprisingly good results simulating a single transistor
UHF oscillator at ~500MHz. The results agreed with reality quite well,
even *without* explicitly modelling all the parasitics. Certainly
spice was better than me at predicting what would happen (although
that is not saying much!) I guess perhaps the reason that I could get
away with this was because of the small size and high performance of
SMT parts these days.

--

John Devereux
Old November 23rd 05, 01:32 PM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Winfield Hill

jw\ wrote...

Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as
yet I have no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor
question. A lot of fancydancing but no answers.

Spice, smice. You got good answers. Wake up, spice is just an
engine to run your component models in circuits of your making.
Once one gets beyond the "toy" level of using spice it becomes
necessary to vet and complete the models of all your critical
components, including parasitic circuit elements. Want a good
RF capacitor model, you do well to make it yourself, from the
manufacturer's data and info, and from your understanding of the
part, aided by theory and bench measurements. Then vet your model
with more bench measurements. Thinking about component leads and
PCB wiring? Hey, you need to explicitly add all these into your
circuit. Just don't blame any resulting shortcomings on "spice."

--
Thanks,
- Win
Old November 23rd 05, 02:23 PM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Roy Lewallen

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as yet I have
no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor question. A lot of
fancydancing but no answers.

Jim

I didn't realize that this question was addressed to all "'spice'
folks", but was directed only to the OP. That's probably why the
"'spice' folks" haven't leapt to respond. Anyone who uses SPICE
professionally, and indeed a great number of amateur users should be
able to answer the question easily.

At 150 MHz, a capacitor lead can generally be handled as a single lumped
inductance. The amount depends on the wire's diameter and environment,
but around 7 nH is a good working number for a half inch lead. The
inductance of the capacitor body itself might have to be included in the
model if high accuracy is important. Capacitance to ground, from both
the leads and the capacitor body, might also be important if the
impedance of the circuit to ground is high. If so, it can be included.
The way I'd approach inclusion of the C would be to calculate the
impedance and length of the transmission line comprised of the lead and
ground plane or capacitor body and ground plane, then convert those
values to a single series L and shunt C rather than just directly using
a transmission line model -- very short transmission lines in a model
can greatly slow SPICE calculations unless there are also other very
short time constants involved.

On the other hand, if the "leads" are PC traces over a ground plane,
shunt capacitance will be higher, and the approach I mentioned with the
transmission line is the way I'd always do it. The model for the leads
would include both L and C. As an example, if the "lead" is a .010"
trace on .032" FR4 material (er ~ 5) over a ground plane, it makes a
transmission line of Z0 = 105 ohms, velocity factor 0.55. The equivalent
L and C of a half inch of this line are 8 nH and 0.73 pF respectively.

Other characteristics of the capacitor such as ESR might have to be
included in the model depending on the application.

You gave a capacitor value in your question -- an ideal capacitor of
that value would of course be the other part of the model.

SPICE is used daily, as it has been for decades, by professionals and
produces strikingly good results in the hands of someone who is skilled
at modeling and has a good understanding of the circuitry being modeled.
I've personally used SPICE for modeling linear to highly nonlinear
circuits up to 50 GHz, where even tiny SMT components were often modeled
as transmission lines and every pad and solder blob is significant and
included. The results were used in the design of products which have
been successfully produced by the thousands and sold for years.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old November 23rd 05, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:23:58 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
[...]

The problem is the higher the frequency the more second and third
order effects are noted. A 1000pF cap at 1mhz is a cap for all
intents. At 150mhz it's now a complex RLC.

On the other hand, if the "leads" are PC traces over a ground plane,
shunt capacitance will be higher, and the approach I mentioned with the
transmission line is the way I'd always do it. The model for the leads
would include both L and C. As an example, if the "lead" is a .010"
trace on .032" FR4 material (er ~ 5) over a ground plane, it makes a
transmission line of Z0 = 105 ohms, velocity factor 0.55. The equivalent
L and C of a half inch of this line are 8 nH and 0.73 pF respectively.

There is a point here where you have to ask is a PCB trace a cap,
inductor or more realisticly a transmission line. Each has it's model
and they are different. With two sided (or more layers) board the
transmission line model is likely the one to use. Especially if your
working with VHF transistors at any power level as impedences
are in the range of a few hundred ohms on the high side and fractions
of an ohm at the low side. Typical 30-100W devices have an imput
imedence under 2 ohms ( and Xc) and output in the sub 4 ohms range
depending on power. In those cases everything counts and getting
hard numbers requires some work.

It hits a hard nail on what model to use and when because spice will
only give the results you asked for be they real or imagined.

Other characteristics of the capacitor such as ESR might have to be
included in the model depending on the application.

In most I'd naturally assume though at low VHF it's less signigicant
than at 2.4ghz.

You gave a capacitor value in your question -- an ideal capacitor of
that value would of course be the other part of the model.

And depending on frequency it may be a open ended transmission line
on the etch.

SPICE is used daily, as it has been for decades, by professionals and
produces strikingly good results in the hands of someone who is skilled
at modeling and has a good understanding of the circuitry being modeled.
I've personally used SPICE for modeling linear to highly nonlinear
circuits up to 50 GHz, where even tiny SMT components were often modeled
as transmission lines and every pad and solder blob is significant and
included. The results were used in the design of products which have
been successfully produced by the thousands and sold for years.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Spice is a great tool. Like every tool one must know how it works,
how to use it to its fullest and knowing the tool can hurt you if
abused. When introduced to spice for the first time I was told
garbage in, garbage out and never assume that computer
crunched garbage is anything other than composted garbage.
What I've found is that Spice does allow you the luxury of saying
"what if" or "how does that affect xxx" even if you are not sure it's
real.

Allison
KB1GMX

Old November 23rd 05, 06:27 PM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Henry Kiefer

I know of a german power line corporation who develops Spice models for
their power line test equipment. So it must be possible...

- Henry

"Joel Kolstad" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Ken Smith" wrote in message
Heck, that can happen before you hit 1MHz. Check out the ESL and ESR of

47,000uF capacitor some time.

For some of the university work I've done, some of our reference papers

are
from people modeling power lines as full-fledged transmission lines that

are
many wavelengths long at 50Hz. No simple equivalent circuit model works

for
them either!

Old November 23rd 05, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Henry Kiefer

I don't know why "RST" is so aggressive but I would mention here, that the
really funny part begins if you garbage in and get meaningful output!

I like to smell the solder iron but it can be very interesting playing with
Spice and see how changing values can and CAN BE NOT have a drastic result
in the simulation. Sometimes changes are not so great in result and parts
can be simpler made. e.g. changed from 1% to 5% or more.

- Henry

Old November 23rd 05, 07:55 PM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Henry Kiefer

OK Jim -

I simulated your question in a first trial. Here is the result:
approx. 70MegHz resonance for 100pF, 30mOhm ESR and 5nH for the trace.
Surely I would prefer smd chips having better results.

BTW: I cannot understand why you're so aggressive and I would prefer that
the thread will go in direction of my FIRST posting. I'm doing electronics
since I was 12 years old and that is 25 years back. I have for example a
patent application made and worked in the communication industry. So you can
surely think I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

- Henry

Old November 23rd 05, 07:57 PM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Henry Kiefer

You can that simulate as a rc coupled line of a few steps. That works even
for battery simulations.

- Henry

"Roy Lewallen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ken Smith wrote:

Heck, that can happen before you hit 1MHz. Check out the ESL and ESR of

47,000uF capacitor some time.

How about dielectric absorption ("soak")? I first encountered this in an
electrolytic capacitor being used for generating a sweep of about a
minute duration. The capacitor had to be kept shorted for several
seconds between sweeps in order for the charge to adequately empty, an
equivalent frequency of less than one Hz.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old November 23rd 05, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Henry Kiefer

Thanks Allison!
- Henry

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:20:25 +0100, "Henry Kiefer"
wrote:

Thank Mark!

MC and Maxim is not new to me. I thought on list of cheap, easy getting
parts with reasonable performance.

- Henry

Minicircuits the MIMICs and mixers are of most interest and there
are inexpensive versions in the line up. What both offer is well
characterized RF 50 ohm port parts that behave well in circuits.
For example you can build a DBM, can you say for sure what the
characteristics will be from say 2-500mhz?

Other useful parts from there are VCOs and RF transformers.

Allison

this message is for keyclowns selling amps on ebay Keyclowns are limpwristed CB 15 December 15th 05 01:57 AM
Shunt feedback in broadband RF amps [email protected] Homebrew 15 November 1st 05 02:29 AM
Low noise -- op amps K7ITM Homebrew 0 January 7th 05 06:41 PM
Go Amps Go SteveJ CB 13 May 25th 04 02:05 PM
FCC to make CB Amps Legal again! WA3MOJ Policy 2 April 28th 04 04:07 AM