Old February 8th 04, 07:49 PM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

Exactly. Which is why I killfiled him and so see only what others may
choose to quote from him. Thank goodness!!

Tsk, tsk, tsk, hiding from truth, freedom, and independence.

Perverse mental activity. Ostrich syndrome.

You provide truth, freedom and independence? Maybe I'm missing
something in your posts.

Hide head in sand and all you can hear is the drumbeats of the league
making you tap in time to only their loud music, the rhythm of olde-
time hamme radio as it was. It shields you from realization that there
are others out there who do not agree with you. It is safe, secure,
warm, comforting, makes you feel very superior to shut out all other
independent thought.

Dee has built a privacy hedge around her cozy home so she doesn't have
to view the ugly landfill. You are the landfill.

Tyrants love the ostrich syndrome. Plays right into their rule.

Yeah, I hear Saddam Hussein was quite the Ostrich man.

Dave K8MN
Old February 8th 04, 09:56 PM
JJ

Helmut wrote:

Hi, Len,

after reading through your last 25 posts to 10 threads, and did not find
anything useful, exept wrong spelled english and german, but nothing
about Amateur Radio Policy, I have to ask you directly about one very
important thing.

Please don't expect Lennyboy to ever have anything useful to say, that
would be too much of a strain on the poor old man.

Old February 9th 04, 12:25 AM
Leo

On 8 Feb 2004 18:21:54 GMT, Alun wrote:

snip

Have the Canadian rules changed? The last time I read it you had to be both
a US citizen and a US resident to qualify. I'm not an American (or a
Canadian either) so I couldn't operate in Canada using my US call.

The rules I read were certainly not reciprocal, though. An American with a
US call and residing in the US could operate in Canada for only 2 months
within the terms of the nearest Canadian licence (No WARC bands or 40m for
Generals!), whereas a Canadian with a Canadian call could operate
indefinitely in the US, even living here permanently, under the terms of
their Canadian licence (not to exceed Extra).

Not sure if they have changed, Alun - just discovered them when I
bacame a ham a couple of years ago! The link to the RAC page with
info on the current reciprocal agreement is:

http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm

and IC RIC-3, which contains the details on the various agreements, US
and other, is at:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric3.pdf/$FILE/ric3.pdf

From what I read in these documents, one need only possess a US
licence to gain full Canadian privileges appropriate to the licence
class. For countries other than the US, CEPT and IARP permits are
acceptable.

Hope that helps!

73, Leo
Old February 9th 04, 05:20 AM
Alun

Leo wrote in
news
[...]

From what I read in these documents, one need only possess a US
licence to gain full Canadian privileges appropriate to the licence
class. For countries other than the US, CEPT and IARP permits are
acceptable.

Hope that helps!

73, Leo

I will have a look at those documents, but it would appear to be a change.
I was told by Industry Canada that they would not enforce the citizenship
requirement anyway under the old rules, but I didn't feel very secure to
rely on that!

73, Alun
Old February 9th 04, 06:12 AM
Alun

Leo wrote in
news
[...]

From what I read in these documents, one need only possess a US
licence to gain full Canadian privileges appropriate to the licence
class. For countries other than the US, CEPT and IARP permits are
acceptable.

Hope that helps!

73, Leo

The first page talks about 'Americans operating in Canada', but I am not an
American, just someone with a US licence! That is the problem.

Reading further, RIC-2 limits operation under the bilateral agreement to US
citizens who are US residents, just as the previous rules did.

However, in RIC-3 it says that operating in Canada is possible under CEPT.

I cannot use my US licence under CEPT, as the CEPT letter that the FCC
publish says that it is only valid for US citizens (I've no idea why, as
the CEPT treaty does not mention citizenship anywhere).

However, if I got my UK licence re-activated it would automatically be
valid in Canada under CEPT. Someone who wasn't British would still be able
to do that, although I am actually a British citizen. I often go across the
border to Windsor when I visit Detroit, but I have never operated on the
Canadian side. It seems if I did so it would have to be as VE3/G8VUK, after
first getting my UK licence back.

73 de Alun, N3KIP
Old February 9th 04, 12:25 PM
Leo

On 9 Feb 2004 06:12:11 GMT, Alun wrote:

Leo wrote in
news
[...]

From what I read in these documents, one need only possess a US
licence to gain full Canadian privileges appropriate to the licence
class. For countries other than the US, CEPT and IARP permits are
acceptable.

Hope that helps!

73, Leo

The first page talks about 'Americans operating in Canada', but I am not an
American, just someone with a US licence! That is the problem.

Reading further, RIC-2 limits operation under the bilateral agreement to US
citizens who are US residents, just as the previous rules did.

You're right - I missed that completely. I should have looked it up
RIC-2 as well, I suppose!

However, in RIC-3 it says that operating in Canada is possible under CEPT.

I cannot use my US licence under CEPT, as the CEPT letter that the FCC
publish says that it is only valid for US citizens (I've no idea why, as
the CEPT treaty does not mention citizenship anywhere).

However, if I got my UK licence re-activated it would automatically be
valid in Canada under CEPT. Someone who wasn't British would still be able
to do that, although I am actually a British citizen. I often go across the
border to Windsor when I visit Detroit, but I have never operated on the
Canadian side. It seems if I did so it would have to be as VE3/G8VUK, after
first getting my UK licence back.

Which seems like a pretty cumbersome process - I wonder why the
citizenship rules were placed in the US/Canada agreement? One would
think that the licence would be sufficient to prove competence, and
residency to prove QTH...

73 de Alun, N3KIP

73, Leo

Extra class - question about the test J999w General 8 April 13th 04 09:57 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins Policy 0 January 23rd 04 05:16 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
1x2 Calls--automatic when upgrading to Extra? Jim Hampton Policy 6 July 15th 03 10:55 PM