Old February 7th 04, 06:57 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil Ding Dong Schoolmaster
brandishing his Ruler writes:

Len Five Decades Over 21 but not acting a day over eleven wrote:

In article , Dave Heil snarly
aka "Mr. Warmth" writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Dave Heil

writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(William) writes:

Larrah, at what age did you pass the Extra exam elements?

Mental or physical age? :-)

At which age did you pass an amateur radio license exam, Leonard?

Never tried, snarly dave.

Well, there you have it.

Have what? I don't have any amateur license. Got several others.

In the context of this newsgroup, that means just what?

Yup. You need to UPGRADE your neurons.

Hint: You made a general statement. I gave you a specific answer.

You didn't like the answer. You never do. TS. :-)

Snarly dave, I don't care about your amateur wonderfulness and
vindictiveness and bigotry to non-amateurs. I'm a pro, like it or no.

If you don't care, why are you still haunting a newsgroup dealing with
amateur radio?

Boooooo! I haunt you! :-)

Snarly dave, I said I don't care about YOUR amateur wonderfulness.

YOURS, snarly dave. You are NOT U.S. amateur radio. [thank
the Lord...the League membership drive would be in hell if so...]

It is clear that you are not a radio amateur and that
you are not, after all these years, "getting into amateur radio".

Snarly dave, it isn't in your power to demand "motivations" since
you are NOT a moderator in here, a judge, a jury, and certainly
not an executioner (although I'm sure you would relish the task
and with a side of fries to go with that).

I've been trying to argue the elimination of the morse code test
for ANY U.S. radio license.

Problem is, some of you and your ilk (ilk are similar to huns but
are not, unfortunately, a vanishing species) DEMAND "motivation"
and some kind of perverse "unquestioning love of a service" that
is supposed to be a fun, recreational activity about radio. As a
result you spend hours and waste Internet bandwidth insulting all
those who do not agree with your wonderfulness, etc.

Haunt
some radio professionals, using the endearing manner you've displayed
here and see how long they put up with your condesent.

It's "condescension," not "condesent" or even 'condiment' although
it must spice up your life on here.

I've worked with professionals in radio and electronics a long time
and they don't come across with the kind of stuff you and the
gunnery nurse and other "proud SERVICE members" do.

I worked professionally in radio and electronics.

Of course you did. In the "foreign service," right? :-)

[NBC likes the term "fleecing of America" and that might apply? :-) ]

A number of us here have done so or do so.

Yes. And? :-)

What sets you apart is that you are a non-amateur who
seems to get his jollies taking potshots at radio amateurs.

Only CERTAIN amateurs...such as those pretending to be radio gods
and the like. Look in a mirror to meet one.

The salient point should be that I am still here! There have been many
others participating in here that did not possess amateur licenses.
Most, nearly all in fact, quit, dropped out, probably in irritation at the
self-important personal wonderfulness expressed by those definitely
NOT representative-of-the-amateur-community-but-insisted-they-
ARE-amateur-radio. :-)

You can't handle persistence by others who oppose your viewpoints.

All you can do is attempt insult and demeaning of those persons
instead of addressing the subjects. QED most of today's mail package.

With all those many years of amateur radio experience you could have
been doing great things for U.S. amateur radio...instead of trying to
"get" certain personalities on this newsgroup. It's counterproductive
and wastes bandwidth and others' time.

You do NOT get to choose anything about what anyone is "supposed"
to say, to reply to, or anydamnthingelse. You keep thinking you do
every time you put on the SS uniform with the monocle. Try keeping
the armband off, it's so 40-ish.

Get it straight, Len. This is an open newsgroup dealing with amateur
radio. You are in no way involved with amateur radio. I am free to
choose to respond to anything posted here and shall do so as the spirit
moves me.

Get it straight, snarly dave. This is an open newsgroup, without any
moderator, accessible by anyone.

If you get honked by anyone with an opposing view, you can't fall back
on insults and pejoratives and nastygrams against the person instead
of the subject. THAT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK. [obviously not...:-) ]

Try not to "threaten" anyone. That only makes you look more like the
Waffen SS officer you seem to emulate.

Remember something which the gunnery nurse must have forgotten:
Do as the spirit moves you, NOT as the spirits move you.

If something doesn't work, stubbornness isn't a cure. You are doing
it WRONG when no results come. CHANGE.

Shave the head and learn to smile. That will make you more like
Colonel Klink. Lose several pounds too.

As a last resort, you can always go to your strength and bring in the
Nazi images.

Nein, Herr Robust, Wehrmacht, perhaps the military of Prussia of old,
not the "nazis." Das ist der "image" presented.

"That seemed to write itself." Remember that braggadoccio? :-)

Let's see. Amateur radio newsgroup. I'm a radio amateur.

Congratulations. I'll bet you have a nice license certificate suitable for
framing.

Now, back to
the question: What does your comment have to do with Larry's amateur
radio license and of concern is his job to you?

Back to your official position as Ding Dong Schoolmaster: Whoinheck
appointed you anything that you can DEMAND answers? :-)

Quit shaking that ruler around. You can't slap anyone's wrist for
writing anything in here. Try to realize that you are POWERLESS
in that regard.

It seems to be karma
that forces you to live up to the N2EY profile of your likely actions.

TAFKA Reverend Jim has his own problems and those are not your
concern. He's just another newsgroupie but with a bad case of
thinking he has to comment on everyone's postings all the time. :-)

Actually, old boy, you have quite the attitude toward radio amateurs.

ONLY to CERTAIN ones. Tag, you're IT. :-)

The best man at my wedding is still a radio amateur. The best work
manager I ever had is still a radio amateur, now moved to mid-
California where my wife and I were overnight guests. I don't have any
"attitude" towards the group (or "community" as some wish to lump it),
just CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS.

You're insulting, rude and immature.

Self-professed gods seem to get that impression! TS. :-)

Tsk, tsk, tsk, "some things seem to write themselves," don't they?

If you're waiting for radio
amateurs to be impressed by your professional credentials, you're likely
going to be disappointed.

Oh, my, judging all others by the things YOU do? :-)

Poor baby, haven't you realized that I am retired? I don't HAVE to
"impress anyone." I did what I did. Now I don't have to take any
BS* from anyone on how "important" THEY are. Neither am I
"impressed" by complex radios or electronic systems, having been
around many such things, some far more complex than any product
of Ten-Tec. If you have one and are amazed by it, be my guest.
Just quit making out How Good You Are Because You Have One.

I got into the whole big entire world of radio because it was very
interesting, a fun job despite some obvious challenges in some
technological areas. It also paid well if a good job was done. I got
paid reasonably well. As TAFKA Rev. Jim once quoted: "It ain't
braggin' if ya done it." I did it.

* abbreviation for Brussel Sprouts, used to avoid any "[expletive
deleted]" quotations by the anal-retentive moralists.

It wasn't a casual, throwaway mention and your newsgroup statements of
the past are here for a long, long time.

Boooooo! Let it HAUNT you forever and ever! :-)

Like I've said many times, feel free to cut and paste everything I ever
wrote from Google archives. Get your own newsgroup if you like.
Will that cure your vindictiveness? I doubt it. You will be angry
anyway. It's your personality.

I haven't changed my mind about you, Len.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, stubborn as they come (you should be sitting in front
of your orion when that happens).

You will NOT ever retract anything you've said, you will rationalize the
beejums out of what you said in order to make you look good to
yourself. Few give a darn. Feel self-triumphant as much as you want.
It's a free country. Except in this newsgroup where one MUST have
an amateur callsign officially bestowed on their cub scout uniforms
or claim they have one while remaining anomalous. :-)

You're a victim of your own inertia and braggadocio.

Nope. Just a Fatal Attraction to balloon-popping of the self-important,
the self-grandiose, the self-proclaimed god-gurus of hum radio. :-)

That's so much fun! :-)

To twist a phrase: If you haven't done it, it
is most certainly bragging. You haven't obtained a license and aren't
likely to do so.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, snarly dave. Still at it. You never learn.

I have obtained licenses (note the plural) in radio. Amateur hasn't
been one of them. That includes station as well as operator.

I may still get a hum license. I may not. Why is that a concern?

I'm still a citizen of the United States of America with all the rights
thereof. No self-important, self-officious SOB* is going to take
those rights away from me. At least one other SOB* tried but
failed (miserably).

Amateur radio is supposed to be a fun recreational activity involving
radio and the radio arts. From the actions of a few who do NOT
adequately represent the "amateur community," it seems to be a
vindictive group of ego-honed Cassius Clay imitators who assume
the invisible mantle of gods of radio. They should get better tailors
and see what happened to Muhammed Ali in later life. A few in
that category think that amateur radio is a "service" like the military
and assume rank and insignia demanding respect (and salutes).
Those should be arrested for impersonating officers. :-)

The ARRL does not adequately represent the "amateur community"
either since their published numbers indicate a decided member-
ship less than a quarter of all licensed U.S. amateurs. They like to
think they control everything but they don't. The more-public access
granted by the Internet has shown the FCC that the ARRL is just a
special interest group and not really that representative.

* SOB: abbreviation for Son Of a Beeper, again for the morally
outraged purists who want to keep everyone pristine and pure like
they claim they are...

Consider yourself stuffed.

It's after supper and I am adequately filled, thank you for your concern.

My wife is a good cook, we have a newly remodeled kitchen, a
comfortable income and life, yet she scolds me for playing with
the seven-year-olds in radio expertise in a newsgroup. She's right.
:-)

Bye.

Have fun with your oriongasms.

LHA / WMD
Old February 7th 04, 06:57 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Entertain us with your credentials once again, won't you, Len.

How can I do it "again" when you didn't like it the first time?

Tell the stage manager to change the lights or maybe change
the flats.

Do something about the floor, please. It's all messy after you've
been amazing yourself sitting with your orion.

Then tell us about that "Extra right out of the box".

Extras don't come in a box. They do it in front of orions.

After more than seven
years of posting your diatribes in an amateur radio newsgroup, you're no
closer to obtaining even the most basic no-code amateur radio license.

Was never my intent to GET a ham license any class.

After seven years you are no closer to understanding that. You
desperately need to UPGRADE your neuron count! Download
some more from Ten-Tec. You can do it.

LHA / WMD
Old February 7th 04, 06:57 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

At which age did you pass an amateur radio license exam, Leonard?

Never tried, snarly dave.

I passed my First Phone exam on the first try in Chicago at an FCC
field office in March 1956. Never looked back.

Then learning the 5 wpm and getting the extra should be a walk in the park

then.
It took me about a month to learn 5 wpm and I'm no good at such motor

skills.

Gosh, olde-tymer, I've walked in many fine parks in my time but not
a single one of them required any morse code proficiency to walk.

That "Extra right out of the box" park requires it at the breakneck pace
of f i v e w o r d s p e r m i n u t e.

Y o u t y p e f u n n y .

Y o u r o r i o n t u n e s to V O A s l o w E n g l i s h ?

Psycho-motor skill I learned in middle school (we called it
"junior high school" back then before educational PC) was typing
at tested maximum of 60 WPM. On typewriters that had no key
markings. :-)

There's no typing test involved in the Amateur Extra. Just a morse test
of f i v e w o r d s p e r m i n u t e.

T h a n k y o u f o r h e a d s u p.

Now, let's concentrate on WHY there's still a morse code test for
an AMATEUR radio license...and WHY it must remain law forever
and ever. Or, at least until the last PCTA has their code key
forcibly removed from their cold, dead fingers.

At the rate you're progressing toward that Extra Class ticket, there
won't be any amateur radio license at all to pry from your cold, dead
fingers.

So goes the glory of the world. [sic transit gloria mundi]

You seem to be in sick transit. Get well fast.

Is morse code not so wonderful that the feds have to keep the
morse test in law so that cute little seven-year-olds can have
radio playmates? Or forty-seven-year-olds and older?

It still gets you that mere children can obtain that which you covet,
doesn't it?

Covet? C o v e t ? ! ?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAEEHEEHEE
HEEHEEHEEHEEHAWHAWHAWHAW - gasp - snickersnicker

Y o u a r e f u n n e e !

Ever wonder why morse code is the SECOND most used mode
on HF, a distant second behind voice? All the HF hams had to
test for code but so few continued to use it.

Let's see.....hmmm....It is probably because the overwhelming majority
can already talk? Operating on SSB would seem to be as easy
as...talking.

It is, Ding Dong Schoolmaster. I did just that in 1954. On SSB.

Very easy. Had to use English, though, language of the Waffen SS
wasn't allowed.

I guess it must not be
so wonderful, so popular after all.

...but you'll have to continue to rely upon second-hand information.

No, the CIA.

According to the gunnery nurse, amateur radio is a super-secret
organization that ABSOLUTELY no one can know about until they
get their very own license and certificate (suitable for framing).

Send me a free copy of "Now You're Talking" and I'll study up on
the matter.

Do I need a DoD or Q Clearance to read that?

LHA / WMD
Old February 7th 04, 02:55 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

Len has made no effort that anyone can see to get an
amateur license.

Len does not want an amateur radio license.

He appears to want to make changes without being a member
of the affected group.

He wants amateur radio as we know it to disappear. What he wants
is a multiband high power version of cb. Or nothing at all.

He also appears to enjoy insulting and berating anyone who is
not in complete agree with his opinions. There's a complete
description of his behavior around someplace - he proves its
correctness with each of his posts...

It's rather like complaining about your congressman
when you don't bother to vote.

His hobby is wasting time. Your time.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 7th 04, 03:23 PM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D.

Flint"
writes:

Len has made no effort that anyone can see to get an
amateur license.

Len does not want an amateur radio license.

He appears to want to make changes without being a member
of the affected group.

He wants amateur radio as we know it to disappear. What he wants
is a multiband high power version of cb. Or nothing at all.

He also appears to enjoy insulting and berating anyone who is
not in complete agree with his opinions. There's a complete
description of his behavior around someplace - he proves its
correctness with each of his posts...

It's rather like complaining about your congressman
when you don't bother to vote.

His hobby is wasting time. Your time.

Exactly. Which is why I killfiled him and so see only what others may
choose to quote from him. Thank goodness!!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 7th 04, 04:54 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D.

Flint"
writes:

Len has made no effort that anyone can see to get an
amateur license.

Len does not want an amateur radio license.

He appears to want to make changes without being a member
of the affected group.

He wants amateur radio as we know it to disappear. What he wants
is a multiband high power version of cb. Or nothing at all.

He also appears to enjoy insulting and berating anyone who is
not in complete agree with his opinions. There's a complete
description of his behavior around someplace - he proves its
correctness with each of his posts...

It's rather like complaining about your congressman
when you don't bother to vote.

His hobby is wasting time. Your time.

Exactly. Which is why I killfiled him and so see only what others may
choose to quote from him.

Me too. And one other.

The antics of "the organ grinder and his red-hatted monkey" (as Hans so
perfectly described them) become repetitive and tiresome very quickly.

Thank goodness!!

Yep!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 7th 04, 06:57 PM
Dave Heil

Leo wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:34:03 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

Len Five Decades Over 21 but not acting a day over eleven wrote:

If you're waiting for radio
amateurs to be impressed by your professional credentials, you're likely
going to be disappointed.

I must admit, I've taken a shot or three at Len over exactly the same
issue - no Amateur callsign = no valid opinion on Amateur issues.

However, a little research reveals that this distinction would be
irrelevant in Canada, as we grant full Amateur license privileges upon
request to persons with appropriate Professional license
qualifications.

So all our Leonard needs do is move to Canada and see if professional
credentials are recognized there. Then he can apply for an amateur
radio license.

It does not work that way here nor should it. With Len's professional
credentials, it should be a snap for him to obtain an amateur radio
license in his own country. The fact is, Len doesn't care about
obtaining an amateur radio license. He is only a self-appointed
advocate for change in an endeavor in which he is not a participant.

It would seem to me that this makes perfect sense - radio operation is
radio operation, and the Pros have made a career of it - and invested
considerably more education, time, effort and ongoing training than
would be possible for most hobbyists. After all, it would be pretty
silly for the folks at the local photo club to argue that Yosuf
Karsh's pictures were pretty good, but not up to "Amateur" standards!

I'm not so sure about that. I've had communications professionals try
to have me QSY an RTTY circuit from a 9 MHz frequency in late afternoon
to a 24 MHz frequency for a path which was only several hundred miles.
Most hams with any experience can tell you that such a path regulary
requires lower frequencies, not higher ones.

After all, the testing done for Amateur licences today is pretty easy
to pass, even without a formal education in electronics. Too easy,
I'd say, but that is another issue......(when 7 year olds can pass
exams with questions requiring calculation of squares, logs and
complex numbers - which sure as heck weren't part of my kids Grade 2
syllabus - I start thinking rote memorization of question pools....)

If it is so easy, a (and let me use Len's term) RADIO PROFESSIONAL
should have no trouble at all passing it. What would be the motivation
for a licensing "gimme"?

A question - was a similar arrangement for the recognition of
professional credentials in the Amateur service ever in place in the
US? With the reciprocity agreement between Canada and the US, someone
who has obtained their Amateur licence based on their Professional
qualifications automatically gains full Amateur operating privileges
when travelling in the US. One would think it logical for this
arrangement to be bidirectional, n'est pas?

There is no such mechanism available in the United States. A U.S.
citizen licensed in Canada may not use his Canadian license when
operating from the U.S.

Dave K8MN
Old February 7th 04, 07:28 PM
Dave Heil

Brian Kelly wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Brian Kelly wrote:

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...

During the same year I built an AM BC rcvr which used five of the tiny
AG-1 flashbulb envelope subminiature tubes and stuffed the whole thing
into a small Band-Aid can which I carried in my shirt pocket. Walkman
Numero Uno. I went into biology class one day and strung the wire
antenna to an overhead lamp fixture, put on the earplug "speaker" and
started tuning around. The teacher, good 'ole Floyd Neff finally
noticed the antenna and stormed to the back of the room, "What are you
doing, what is that thing?" I cupped my ear, "Uh, it's my hearing aid,
could you speak up a bit please?" Tossed outta class again.

Young Don Newell was the crucifer one Sunday at St. Andrew's Episcopal
Church in Oak Hill. After the processional and after my father had
begun the service, Don fished a tiny crystal radio from his cassock,
stuffed the earphone into his ear and attached a wire with an alligator
clip to the cross. As the service ended, my dad whispered to him, "I'd
like a word after church".

You brought back a lot of hilarious memories of "electronerd
educations" gone awry David. Gawd we had fun . . !

The best I've ever heard was deliverd at the Dayton banquet one year by
Jean Shepherd.

For the first few weeks of my interest, my dad actively discouraged me
with talk of amateur radio being a passing fad for me.
He had visions
of mounds of equipment gathering dust in a closet.

He was right, I've seen it happen . . !

I can still get a laugh from him these days whenever I ask if he thinks
I'll tire of the stuff and let it sit in the closet.

My mother encouraged
me and was able to convince my father that some of the meager family
income should be spent on a transmitter for me if I earned the money for
the receiver from my paper route.

You got lucky, I got NOTTING in the way of economic support for
diddling with radios despite the volume of coin my parents had. Their
policy was that if some pursuit or another was important enough to
their kids we could bloody well work out how to pay for it on our own
or drop it. With the notable exception of cheerfully paying the
expenses related to Boy Scouting. I *really* needed radio gear so I
had a couple paper routes, peddled magazine subsciptions, painted
house numbers on curbs in December, etc. Got the equipment and some
early lessons on how much work hot buttons can actually cost.

Well, in my case it was a one-time Christmas deal--the one BIG present
and that was second-hand from Allied's big, used equipment list. The
receiver I saved for was also from the same list. More newspaper
deliveries, an after-school job at the local hobby shop several days
each week and the writing of a sports column for the local newspaper
provided coaxial cable and connectors, a key, antenna wire and the
like. Some of that money was also spent on a big U.S. call area map and
some (sorry, no choice of color) QSL cards from WRL.

I know Janie. Her father was Jesse Bieberman W3KT who is still a
legend. Honer Roll top-ender for decades, phone and cw dx contester,
25wpm with a straight key for 48 straight. Vice Director of the
Atlantic Division for decades and one of the most powerful voices in
Newington in those days. Ran the W3 buro single-handed also for
decades.

...and ran the W3KT outgoing QSL forwarding service for a number of
years.

I forgot all about that, tnx.

I used Jesse's outgoing card forwarding service in the days preceeding
the ARRL's outgoing bureau.

Speaking of QSL card handling Joe Arcure W3HNK is in this
neighborhood, I gotta look him up.

Joe used to be a regular at the DX hospitality suites at Dayton. I
haven't seen him in a number of years.

All of this nostalgia has me fired up to grab my collection of the West
Coast DX Bulletin to re-read some of Cass's gems.

Dave K8MN

Extra class - question about the test J999w General 8 April 13th 04 09:57 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins Policy 0 January 23rd 04 05:16 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
1x2 Calls--automatic when upgrading to Extra? Jim Hampton Policy 6 July 15th 03 10:55 PM