Old March 2nd 04, 07:54 PM
Incognito

Where in Part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regs -- do you see the word "Hobby" ?
(answer nowhere)

and where do you see the word "Service" ?
Quote Title " PART 97 AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE"

Now am I to believe you or the FCC ??

Here in San Diego, a ham hiker overdid it and was grossly dehydrated- his
cell phone was not able to make a connection

But a Ham repeater that covers all of San Diego county worked just fine SD
County is 4,261 square miles.

A helicopter was sent in and after several hours in a hospital the dry ham
recovered
Now would you call that a hobby or a service ??

This has happened time after time in disaster situations and as Walter
Cronkite stated "Amateur Radio is probably the only fail-safe communications
in the world"

It is of no importance as to the ratio of cell phone calls to ham radio 911
calls.
What is important and vital is that we have both - wouldn't you say ?

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"William" wrote in message
om...
JJ wrote in message

Len Over 21 wrote:

Anonymous one who has no amateur call, you cannot admit your
error. To do so would be against your mythology, the fantasy

that
amateur radio always jumps in to save the day.

Not always, but always when needed and has saved the day many times.
That you can't be a part of it to get your recognition really gets

your
goat doesn't it?

Would you estimate that in the last decade more cellular telephones
have saved the day than all of amateur radio in the last century?

What's your point? The same can be said of many things.
Ham radio is still a service and considered by the FCC to
be of sufficient value as a service to warrant keeping it around.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old March 2nd 04, 07:56 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

(William) wrote in message . com...
JJ wrote in message ...
Len Over 21 wrote:

Anonymous one who has no amateur call, you cannot admit your
error. To do so would be against your mythology, the fantasy that
amateur radio always jumps in to save the day.

Not always, but always when needed and has saved the day many times.
That you can't be a part of it to get your recognition really gets your
goat doesn't it?

Would you estimate that in the last decade more cellular telephones
have saved the day than all of amateur radio in the last century?

Lennie's insistance that Amateur Radio "always" saves the day is
his way of skewing the results in his favor.

The FACT is that Amateur Radio DOES still offer that "...when the
chips are down" fall back, and judging by the support lent by so many
civil and governmental agencies, I dare the scumbag to deny it.

In THIS century, amidst the Internet, cellphones, spread spectrum
ad nauseum, Amateur Radio HAS helped to "save the day"...

Amateur Radio enjoys the same "reputation" that the Armed Forces
does today...for no matter how amazing our "shock and awe" weapons
are, we still depend on the basic infantryman to get the dirty work
done.

Well...Technology has it's flaws and vunerabilites, and more than
once in RECENT events Amateur Radio HAS been called upon to fill the
gaps until all that wizz-bangery can be returned to operational
status.

In short...it doesn't matter how many times that Amateur Radio has
"saved the day", the point is that it CONTINUES to do so, even in the
21st Century...

Sorry that the FACTS hike Lennie's skirt up. Of course when it
did, we found BurkieBoy UNDER Lennie's skirt!

As for you, Burke...Well...What can I say...?!?! You like
playing follow-the-loser, and I can see from your "comments" that you
do it well. I guess being an idiot is a learned trait...I just didn't
think anyone would go out of thier way to do it!

Bully for you. A person has to do SOMETHING well, and I guess
you've found your niche...

Steve, K4YZ
Old March 2nd 04, 08:09 PM
JJ

Incognito wrote:
[...]

We have to understand that there are those who envy ham radio and it's
long tradition to public servicea and it's ability to come to aid in
times of emergency, often being the only means of reliable
communications. These envious people are too lacking in knowledge or are
too lazy to do what is necessary to qualify for a ham license
themselves, so the best they can to is attempt to tear down an
institution that they cannot be, but desperatly want to be, a part of.

Old March 2nd 04, 11:53 PM
Dee D. Flint

"William" wrote in message
om...
JJ wrote in message

Len Over 21 wrote:

Anonymous one who has no amateur call, you cannot admit your
error. To do so would be against your mythology, the fantasy that
amateur radio always jumps in to save the day.

Not always, but always when needed and has saved the day many times.
That you can't be a part of it to get your recognition really gets your
goat doesn't it?

Would you estimate that in the last decade more cellular telephones
have saved the day than all of amateur radio in the last century?

It doesn't matter if it is more or less. Both have been used and both are
valuable. We need to keep as many forms of communication as possible so
that there will be at least one, preferably more than one, mode available in
times of need.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 3rd 04, 03:00 AM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Would you estimate that in the last decade more cellular telephones
have saved the day than all of amateur radio in the last century?

One a daily basis such as reporting traffic accidents, calling for an
ambulance, and other minor emergencies, probably, but in a major
disaster cell networks tend to become overloaded and useless. Ask the
emergency officals in NYC about 9/11. The cell phone networks were so
overloaded they were practically useless for any emergency efforts. That
is why the hams were called in. Your point is?

Many, many, many, many, many people claimed to have successfully used
their cellular telephones fleeing from the Twin Towers. It was in the
news.

Post 9/11, sales of cellular phones skyrocketted. It was in the news.

Old March 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
JJ

William wrote:

Many, many, many, many, many people claimed to have successfully used
their cellular telephones fleeing from the Twin Towers. It was in the
news.

Post 9/11, sales of cellular phones skyrocketted. It was in the news.

That is why the cell network was no good for any emergency assistance
communications, it was people overloading the network to call someone to
say they got out alive, calling everyone they knew to turn on the TV,
ect. The cell network can't be counted on for emergency aid in such a
crisis as everyone wants to use their phone for non emergency aid type
calls. That is what I meant when I said in my post that cell networks
tend to become overloaded so that they are practically useless for
emergency aid, so of course there were many, many, many people making
calls, that is why the network was overloaded - DUH. And the
skyrocketing sales of cellular phones after 9/11 will assure that in the
event of another such disaster, the network will be even more overloaded.

Old March 3rd 04, 11:30 AM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
William wrote:

[...]

The fact remains that many emergency calls were placed and got through
using cellular telephones.

Heaven forbid an emergency happens during a contest weekend!
Old March 3rd 04, 02:02 PM
Dave Heil

William wrote:

The fact remains that many emergency calls were placed and got through
using cellular telephones.

Does that upset you or do you find it some sort of validation for your
latest peculiar theory?

Heaven forbid an emergency happens during a contest weekend!

How does a cellphone contest work?

Dave K8MN
Old March 3rd 04, 02:45 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

JJ wrote in message ...
Len Over 21 wrote:

Anonymous one who has no amateur call, you cannot admit your
error. To do so would be against your mythology, the fantasy that
amateur radio always jumps in to save the day.

Not always, but always when needed and has saved the day many times.
That you can't be a part of it to get your recognition really gets your
goat doesn't it?

Would you estimate that in the last decade more cellular telephones
have saved the day than all of amateur radio in the last century?

Lennie's insistance that Amateur Radio "always" saves the day is
his way of skewing the results in his favor.

Oh, contraire!

Larry Roll has set up many a scenario where not only is amateur radio
the ONLY means to save the day, but only ONE particular mode is
suitable to save the day.

He's done it again and again.

Are we Not to believe Roll?

Sorry, Brain...

The post I responded to was from your douchebag friend.
Exact same is quoted verbatim above.

Don't divert the post in order to divert attention from YOUR
foolishness...THAT is already public information and beyond YOUR
control.

My post addressed NO ONE except your chief string puller and
documented liar, Lennie the Loser. His post did EXACTLY what I
claimed it to...to try ans skew results in such a way as to make him
appear corect. He's not.

Try again, Puppet Boy.

Steve, K4YZ