Old September 7th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:43:31 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote in
:

I said it before and I'll say it again. 70 years ago a good mechanic
needed carpentry skills but no more. 70 years ago a good ham needed to
know code but no more. A code test for todays prospective hams is like
a carpentry test for todays prospective mechanics.

When you have to spend time building a skill, you spend more time learning
other related things as well. Hams that haven't had to study to pass a 13
wpm CW exam, probably don't know the written portion of the exam as will
as hams that did. If I hadn't had to pass 20 wpm for my Extra, I would
have taken the exam a lot sooner, but as I had to build my CW abilities, I
also spend more time learning the theory too. It made me a better ham.

Was code the ONLY way to learn the written portion? Besides, using a
bunch of beeps to spell out characters over the airwaves takes no
technical ability at all. Here in Canada, a no-code license requires
MORE technical skill than a code license. In other words, here in
Canada you need to learn MORE to pass a no-code license since learning
code is a motor skill, not a technical one.

You people don't want knowledgable hams anymore.

Learning code does not impart any type of "knowledge" any more than
learning roller skating.

CB'ers dont have to
learn CW, are they better?

Based on the CBers I used to hear on the higher sideband channels, I
heard very little of the insults I have seen here spewed by some of
the pro-coders. Therefore, I'd say that they were at least better
behaved than the aforementioned pro-coders.

Yes, there were assholes on CB, but CB didn't make them that way. By
the same token, learning code will not turn an asshole into a nice
guy. CB is just a ham radio in the embryo stage, a zygote. The only
real difference between CB and ham is the choices of bands and the
power of the transmitter, when you really look at things in the most
basic sense.
Old September 7th 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Ping N2EY: Jim, Did You Really Expect Anything Else From Lennie...?!?!

I would like to talk about the ISSUE
of the code test but this arena is NOT the place.

That's because of *your* behavior, Len.

I have had many civilized, respectful, well-behaved code-test
discussions here with Phil Kane, K2ASP and Bill Sohl, K2UNK. The latter
is a director of No-Code International, and is one of the staunchest
no-code-test advocates around. Yet he makes his points without the
name-calling and personal insults that are your stock-in-trade whenever
someone disagrees with you. Same for K2ASP.

Both of them have disappeared from rrap. I stop back once in a while to
see if things have changed. They haven't. I post a few license numbers
here, and you're off on a tear with insults and general adherence to
your profile. Pitiful, really.

It's easy to tell when you start losing an argument - that's when you
start with the nicknames and personal insults.

"STARTS", Jim...?!?!

You posted ONE TIME and he was right back into "Jimmie" and other
such diminutives.

Lennie's always found it necessary to put anyone who he perceives
as even marginally "aware" of subjects he deems himself as master of
"in their place".

You get the Lion's Share of abuse from him because you scare the
bee-jeebers out of him...How could a "mere amateur" get the best of a
"paid professional"...?!?!

You do it so effortlessly!

Bravo!

This forum
has degraded to self-important insulters trying to outdo
other self-important insulters with heaping gobs of plain
filth in print.

Whose fault is that? Not mine. You don't seem to be able to control
yourself here, let alone those folks.

I admit I've given up on RRAP as a "discussion forum" years ago.
Lennie was not about to "discuss" anything without the Nazi analogies,
profanities and outright insults.

It's now not much more than a mindless passtime to relieve stress
and laugh at Morkie, Brain and Toiddie. They DO make it so easy to do.

I've had some very, VERY interesting conversations based upon
direct e-mail exchanges I've had from folks which were themselves based
upon having had several "letters to the editor" published in CQ in the
last 6 months...Not to mention that my comments to the FCC were
excerpted in November 2005.

Lennie, Morkie, Brain and Toiddie have been notably absent.

You'd think with 17 "comments" on the last NPRM that at least ONE
of Lennie's comments would have mde it to "CQ".

You should work on your Morse Code skills, Len.

Why?

He can't get past the written. Grade schoolers can...but not
Lennie...

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old September 7th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,alt.military.cap,rec.radio.cb

Default Markie the child molester

an old freindless child molester wrote:
wo

Markie: lying child molesting kook on parade

Old September 7th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

From: Opus- on Wed, Sep 6 2006 11:05 pm

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:43:31 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote in
m:

I said it before and I'll say it again. 70 years ago a good mechanic
needed carpentry skills but no more. 70 years ago a good ham needed to
know code but no more. A code test for todays prospective hams is like
a carpentry test for todays prospective mechanics.

When you have to spend time building a skill, you spend more time learning
other related things as well. Hams that haven't had to study to pass a 13
wpm CW exam, probably don't know the written portion of the exam as will
as hams that did. If I hadn't had to pass 20 wpm for my Extra, I would
have taken the exam a lot sooner, but as I had to build my CW abilities, I
also spend more time learning the theory too. It made me a better ham.

Was code the ONLY way to learn the written portion? Besides, using a
bunch of beeps to spell out characters over the airwaves takes no
technical ability at all.

Agreed. But, please remember that Blow Code is a morse bigot.
He (or she) is representative of only a minority of United
States radio amateurs. When the major accomplishment in life
of such morse bigots has been morsemanship, they will naturally
trumpet that singular skill and attempt to moralize it as some
kind of positive attribute that one MUST have.

Here in Canada, a no-code license requires
MORE technical skill than a code license. In other words, here in
Canada you need to learn MORE to pass a no-code license since learning
code is a motor skill, not a technical one.

I applaud Industry Canada's decision on their regulations.
My contact with Canadian regulations has been minimal but
their website on radio regulations explained it all. Blow
Code is confused on the task of the United States FCC in
regulating ALL US civil radio; our FCC is not a booster
organization for amateur radio or any other radio service
here. The FCC only "wants" radio service users to obey the
regulations.

Manual radiotelegraphy skill testing for an amateur radio
license has existed since the first US radio regulating
agency and was maintained mostly out of inertia and the
insistence of the ARRL (once it had risen above its
competition) through lobbying the FCC. Given the vast
scope of today's radio services, the FCC has a far greater
task to keep up with its regulatory task. Amateur radio
here is low on the regulatory task list of the FCC.

Manual telegraphy IS a motor skill (more correct "psycho-
motor" skill) but morse bigots become more psycho about
their personal skills, equating it to intellectual
knowledge and the ability to reason. Morse bigots see
only their kind and want to destroy those who think
differently; that is security for their "tribe."

You people don't want knowledgable hams anymore.

Learning code does not impart any type of "knowledge" any more than
learning roller skating.

^^ [an example of the morse bigot and their confusion over
psycho-motor skills versus intellectual knowledge]

CB'ers dont have to learn CW, are they better?

Based on the CBers I used to hear on the higher sideband channels, I
heard very little of the insults I have seen here spewed by some of
the pro-coders. Therefore, I'd say that they were at least better
behaved than the aforementioned pro-coders.

The gratuitous insults to Citizens Band Radio Service
users has been in existance since 1958 when the USA
authorized its use here (as 'Class D' CB on only 23
27 MHz band channels). That's a time span of 48 years.

From its inception CB has NEVER required ANY testing
to obtain a CB license. The "license" was pro-forma,
a slight revision of the Restricted Class of Radio-
telephone Operator license then common to services
such as both private and civil aviation pilots.

Nearly a half century ago, US radio amateurs developed
a distaste for the US government and these new radio
service users for: (1) "Taking away" their 11 meter
band (little used, sitting below the largest amateur
radio allocation on HF); having the audacity in NOT
requiring any testing plus intolerant bitching over
NOT having to pass any morse code test. That almost-
hatred developed into the bigotry seen today.

The bigotry grew when about a decade after authorization
the offshore electronics industries hit the US market
with less-expensive CB transceivers and long-haul truckers
took to that service. CB users here soon out-numbered
radio amateurs by a large margin. With such a huge base
of users, a common patois/lingo/jargon grew that was NOT
related to amateur radio but had roots in our state
highway patrol police organizations. That lingo became
quite different than amateurs' use of theirs, so that
reinforced the "different-destroy" attitude of the
amateurs' bigotry against CB users. Amateurs like to
make fun of CB lingo but don't realize their jargon is
amusing to other HF radio service users and the military
radio. Amateurs tend to think of themselves as first
and foremost without realizing that they never were
first nor foremost and were always a minority in radio.

Yes, there were assholes on CB, but CB didn't make them that way. By
the same token, learning code will not turn an asshole into a nice
guy.

Morse bigots have the egotistical self-definition of
THEIR skills being the only "true" ones for amateur
radio. They will rationalize that self-righteous
attitude with any number of archaic "reasons" that
defy validity for regulatory purposes by radio
regulating agencies. In last year's Notice of
Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) on the elimination of
morse code testing for US radio amateurs, several
Commenters cited the ability to "thwart terrorism"
by using morse code! :-) Apparently they had taken
a Hollywood motion picture fictional depiction of
aliens-from-outer-space-invasion as a documentary of
a real event [film title was "Independence Day"]!

CB is just a ham radio in the embryo stage, a zygote. The only
real difference between CB and ham is the choices of bands and the
power of the transmitter, when you really look at things in the most
basic sense.

I see it differently. Human beings like to communicate.
That is evident in the enormous growth of cellular
telephony and daily use of that; the US Census Bureau
stated two years ago the one in three Americans had a
cell phone subscription. That is roughly 100 million
users of those tiny full-duplex radio transceivers.
Several million CB users exist on USA highways (exact
figures unknown as CB has been unlicensed for years,
but can be approximated from EIA - Electronic Industry
Association - statistics on manufactured and imported
electronic equipment). FRS and GMRS unlicensed UHF
HTs may exceed the million mark by now. In the maritime
radio service private boat owners' VHF radios exceed
that of commercial ship owners, VHF voice required on
inland waterways and harbors for traffic control.
Private boat owners are increasing their HF radio use
on deep-water travels unsing HF SSB voice (a few radios
marketed for sales to both them and radio amateurs).

CB is 48 years old, hardly a youngster/child/teener.
It is DIFFERENT than amateur radio on HF, therefore
abhored by some radio amateurs stuck in their radio
bigotry attitudes put there long ago by their
ancestors. If truck drivers have spread a DIFFERENT
lingo on CB radio, then they did so out of THEIR need
to communicate about THEIR things, not some self-
righteous and not-required-by-regulation "traditional"
lingo used by hams. Amateurs don't/can't speak to
others on HF and are restricted (in the USA) to
"non-essential" communications (paraphrased from US
regulations). Truck drivers CAN and DO communicate
with others on and off the highways freely and with
much less of the bigotry displayed by some radio
amateurs looking for someone to destroy.

Where does manual radiotelegraphy fit into this?
It doesn't.

Old September 7th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Dee Flint wrote:
"Opus-" wrote in message

CW is as useful to todays Hams as carpentry is to a mechanic. A good
thing to learn, and potentially useful, but should not be a barrier.

This is where your analogy falls apart. CW is currently very useful to
hams. It is in daily use. However, the arguments have already been
presented and those with closed minds have rejected them.

Pity the morse zealots and their closed minds... :-)

Old September 8th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

" wrote in
ups.com:

From: Opus- on Wed, Sep 6 2006 11:05 pm

[...]

From its inception CB has NEVER required ANY testing
[...]

There are two ways to communicate when all you have is a transceiver,
phone, & CW. All you need for phone is a microphone, All you need for CW
is a pencil and paper. If you had to build a transmitter in an emergency,
a CW transmitter is simpliest to build. We are after all technical aren't
we? We're not just appliance operators.

Eliminating CW removes a way we can communicate. A simple way, where all
that's required is an ear, a pencil, and paper, and a skill.

SC
Old September 8th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

" wrote in
oups.com:

Dee Flint wrote:
"Opus-" wrote in message

CW is as useful to todays Hams as carpentry is to a mechanic. A good
thing to learn, and potentially useful, but should not be a barrier.

This is where your analogy falls apart. CW is currently very useful to
hams. It is in daily use. However, the arguments have already been
presented and those with closed minds have rejected them.

Pity the morse zealots and their closed minds... :-)

Pity the lazy asses that just want to be appliance operators. They care
nothing for the integrity of the service.

SC
Old September 8th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default trolling right along

From: on Wed, Sep 6 2006 4:37 am

wrote:

I would like to talk about the ISSUE
of the code test but this arena is NOT the place.

That's because of *your* behavior, Len.

Oh, oh, M. Superior got her knickers in a twist again
and tries to ruler-spank... :-)

I have had many civilized, respectful, well-behaved code-test
discussions here with Phil Kane, K2ASP and Bill Sohl, K2UNK. The latter
is a director of No-Code International, and is one of the staunchest
no-code-test advocates around. Yet he makes his points without the
name-calling and personal insults that are your stock-in-trade whenever
someone disagrees with you. Same for K2ASP.

Cut the crap, Jimmy. Quit trying to present yourself as
the oh-so-very-SUPERIOR "Mr. Perfect." You are NOT perfect
nor an "example of good comportment." You come across as
both superior and arrogant...plus the total inflexibility of
considering other folks' opinions and viewpoints.

This is NOT a thread to discuss OLD HISTORY of US amateur
radio as spoon-fed you by the ARRL. The ARRL is NOT a group
of "perfect" leaders with "perfect" comportment, either.

Jimmy, if you can't stand newsgroup heat, get OUT. It
obviously upsets you to be challenged or not recognized
as a "newsgroup leader."

Both of them have disappeared from rrap.

ERROR! Bill and Phil are still in Google archives. Anyone
can go look for themselves.

I stop back once in a while to see if things have changed.

How noble of you. :-)

I post a few license numbers here, and you're off on a tear
with insults and general adherence to your profile.

Poor baby. More evidence of how you can't stand the heat
of newsgroup behavior. You crib someone else's stats
without giving them credit, then repeat boilerplate
paragraphs that are seven yours old, implying that those
are "yours" and you get all upset about being called on
that? ANYONE can find statistics on the number of
licensees and classes and the growth/loss figures. See
QRZ and Hamdata for two readily-accessible sources.

Tsk, you have serious problems with PAST disagreements.
Back at the last restructuring you tried to play with
percentages to somehow "prove" that the Technician class
belongs in the code-tested group because code zealot
Speroni lumped them together in HIS biased-for-code
website. That's all in the Google Archives but one has
to go back a few years to see it. A transparent attempt
Jimmy and several called you out on it. That's also in
archives.

It's easy to tell when you start losing an argument - that's when you
start with the nicknames and personal insults.

Being against morse code testing IS a "personal insult" to
any Code Zealot. TS for them. :-)

Tsk, more evidence of the self-described "superiority" of
the Code Zealots. THEY can do NO wrong...such as Robeson,
Heil, "Slow-Blow Code" and others, all having maximum-rate
code-tested licenses (unknown about Blow Code who won't
state his/her callsign). Not to mention the anony-mousies
such as "Thomas Edison" or "Not Cocksucker Lloyd," etc.

You concentrate on ONE or TWO posters at a time, Jimmy,
always denigrating and claiming "error" on the part of no-
code-test advocates. You are obviously subjective as hell
while claiming "objectivity." Total PR bull****, Jimmy.

This forum
has degraded to self-important insulters trying to outdo
other self-important insulters with heaping gobs of plain
filth in print.

Whose fault is that? Not mine.

Tsk, tsk, did YOU think that sentence was about YOU?!? Good
grief, you have a great big EGO problem, superior Jimmy.

Go apply your Mother Superior ruler-spanking on THEM if you
want to strike a blow for morsemanship. Got the guts? Or
do you consider yourself so "superior" that you don't engage
in plebian behavior?

---

You should work on your PEOPLE SKILLS, Jimmy.

Jim still has no comment on Robesin's latest, despicable, escapade.

Old September 8th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

From: Slow Code on Thurs, Sep 7 2006 11:50 pm

" wrote in
From: Opus- on Wed, Sep 6 2006 11:05 pm
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:43:31 GMT, Slow Code spake

There are two ways to communicate when all you have is a transceiver,
phone, & CW.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG...

It is voice, radiotelegraphy, data, pulse, right off the bat,
plus a few others which you have NO idea they existed for
EMERGENCIES.

Blowcode, you are stuck on HF ham thinking. So were some
other morse zealots and morse bigots in this forum many
years ago. Their scenarios were invalid comic-book stuff
then and now you've just repeated the same. Deja phooey.

On HF you can find some EMERGENCY calling frequencies...but
those aren't on ham bands. I recall only two, one for
maritime, one for civil aviation over-ocean routes. Aviation
has some more but you aren't worth the time to go look them
up in the huge Part 2 regulations of Title 47 C.F.R. Both
are VOICE.

Over or near land the aviation VHF frequency is 121.5 MHz.
Military aviation is 243 MHz. Both are VOICE. Airborne
transponders (those are transmitter-receivers) has a
"squawk" code just for emergencies and, in a pinch, you
can push the IDENT button. Transponder output will auto-
matically show up on ATCRBS radar displays. The little
HTs in military parachute backpacks can do both VOICE
and DME/TACAN (the 'pulse' I mentioned). [you probably
don't know what DME or TACAN are yet they've been around
for a half century.

On waterways (not open ocean) there are VHF frequencies
for EMERGENCIES. VOICE. Go look those up in Part 2.
VHF VOICE is used in the USA in harbors and inland
waterways. Need EMERGENCY frequencies on land? Plenty
of those, band specific, organization specific, freqs
available if you are serious about having to use them.
Those frequencies are kept open 24/7 in most areas and
have emergency power backup. Three major land PLMRS
bands, can you name them? [I didn't think so]

Ever hear of a cellular telephone? By now, I'll bet you
noticed them. One in three Americans have one. Little
1 GHz HTs with lots of added features with tens of
thousands of cell sites to connect to telco. You can
punch up nine-one-one on them same as a wireline phone.
Nine-one-one is operated 24/7, done by professionals.
Cell sites and telephone exchanges all have "floating"
emergency power, can remain operating on AC power outage.

Think you can call for a paramedic with your little "CW"
transceiver, Blowcode? Or a fire truck? Police car?
Sorry, Blowcode, they use VOICE and above 30 MHz.
Some paramedic ambulances have EKG instruments with
radio coupling to a hospital. Some police departments
have data terminals IN their cars (LAPD does as do
many adjacent incorporated cities here).

All you need for phone is a microphone, All you need for CW
is a pencil and paper.

BWAAAAAHAAAA!!!!! How are you on "straight wire CW"
Blowcode? Can you do 'twenty' just rubbing two bare
wires together? [remember, you have to scrape OFF
the insulation to make contact...]

If you had to build a transmitter in an emergency,
a CW transmitter is simpliest to build.

!!!BUILD?!?!?!??? BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Is your QST featuring the "Tuna Tin Two" handy and able
to survive a full EMERGENCY environment? Do you have
the parts? Do you have a power-less soldering iron?
Do you know how to use hand tools? [I don't think so]

Once you've cobbled together something that MIGHT work,
HOW DO YOU KNOW? Did you have test equipment that
survived the EMERGENCY, Blowcode? [I'll bet you think
so] How do you know you're on a frequency that you
think is good for emergencies? You do "laying on of
hands" to miraculously make it work? In this (unspecified)
EMERGENCY do you have two functioning hands to use the
tools to 'make' this thing? Will you need AC power
to run it? Will it work on DC? From where will the
electrical power come from? Rub two Handbooks together?
Cobbling together a one-tube transmitter MIGHT be
possible, provided you have plans, the parts, a
suitable tube, and the right values of components
(which you seem to think you 'know' exactly?. It might
take 24 hours or so...at which time the "emergency"
would be over and the 'emergency' victims might be
long dead.

You can spout bull**** bragging only so far. You've
gone too far, Blowcode. You DEMONSTRATE that you can
cobble together a simple 'transmitter' out of a pile
of parts which do NOT know of ahead of time. SHOW US
or someone. Put your money where your big mouth is.

Here's what the right-thinking folks do: Have a radio
or radios ALREADY available for emergencies, along with
a power source, on some 'emergency frequency' that you
KNOW WILL BE HEARD. The "CW-saves-the-day" scenario is
BS that went out before the GMDSS was activated seven
years ago; the USCG is NOT monitoring the 500 KHz "CW"
frequency and neither are many other equivalent national
maritime aid agencies. A few years ago a gal teenager
picked up a call for help on an FRS HT from a stranded
mountain climbing team...voice, not "CW", miles away.
Made the Washington and Oregon newspapers. [FRS isn't
on ham bands, Blowcode, and the gal wasn't a "radio op"]

We are after all technical aren't we?

You (sure as hell) sound like you can barely wire up
a doorbell. With a QST article on it to show you how.

We're not just appliance operators.

Right...in addition you are an unthinking nuisance.

Eliminating CW removes a way we can communicate.

Eliminating a code test does NOT "remove its use."

If morsemanship is so damn good, it DOESN'T NEED
TESTING. Folks will take to it without needing to be
tested if its such a wonderful thing.

A simple way, where all
that's required is an ear, a pencil, and paper, and a skill.

Blowcode, you need a SKULL more than a skill...one
with a working brain inside it. Try to get a new brain. Quickly.

Now go back to reading those comic books from the ARRL.
You know, the "Archie" ones that you saved up long ago.

Old September 8th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:50:20 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

" wrote in
roups.com:

Dee Flint wrote:
"Opus-" wrote in message

CW is as useful to todays Hams as carpentry is to a mechanic. A good
thing to learn, and potentially useful, but should not be a barrier.

This is where your analogy falls apart. CW is currently very useful to
hams. It is in daily use. However, the arguments have already been
presented and those with closed minds have rejected them.

Pity the morse zealots and their closed minds... :-)

Pity the lazy asses that just want to be appliance operators. They care
nothing for the integrity of the service.

Newsflash: ALL radio operators, code or no-code, are "appliance
operators" as you colloquially state. A radio is a means to
communicate. Knowing code just adds another way to use that radio.