Old June 1st 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Help finding Madeleine McCann - 4 years old

"jim menning" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message

Rick wrote:
Come on - you do know that's spam to get hold of your bank account
numbers...

BZZZzzttt! Wrong... this one is actually legitimate.

Jeff

Tragic as it is, and I do feel for the parents but kids get abducted all
the time and how many of their parents get lent a private jet to go visit
the Pope - having said that I don't mind offering helpful (if obvious)
advice.

If the OP really wanted to do something useful, they would upload the
pictures to all the binaries they could think of and try to persuade
anyone who opens the thread to propagate the pictures to any binaries
they can think of, the first reply after mine demonstrates the level of
reluctance to open potentially suspicious websites so the effective
publicity from a website is much less than covering the binaries.

Let me give my 2-cents worth to say I really oppose your suggestion.

Madeleine McCann is only one of tens of thousands of kids that go missing
each year. Her case is only special because her family can afford to pay
for media hype. Although I can sympathize with her family, the likelihood
that I will see their lost child running around in Grand Chute, Wisconsin
is astronomical. There are many local issues that do deserve my
attention, and even one second to click on the "Mark as read" button for
Madeleine is a waste of my time, caused by some "do-gooder" who wants to
further sensationalize the tragic story.

I'd hesitate to see the floodgates open if any/all crime victims start to
post to ALL binary (or text) groups looking for their kidnapped children,
stolen artwork, or deadbeat daddies. This particular crime was in
Portugal. Let the Portugal/European media and authorities handle it. No
need to waste the time of millions of other people around the world.

Let Portugal develop their own "Amber Alert" and look for the child that
way.

Hopefully this will act as a catalyst for Europe to create its own amber
alert scheme.

Old June 1st 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Brian Hill wrote:

[...]

A waste of your time? My 2c states " You can never do enough to help any
child no matter how rich their family is or how poor and I don't care what
floodgates get opened" My time is worth less than any child.

BH

I don't think you get what Jim was saying. There are a lot of OTHER
missing children who might be in his area, but this girl disappeared on
the other side of the earth.

What are the chances that he'll be within a 1000 miles of her, let
alone see her? His time is better spent in cases where he DOES stand a
chance of helping.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old June 1st 07, 07:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Jim thinks binaries can only be viewed in Wisconsin!

Old June 1st 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Brian Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yeah, I'm being very selfish. I'll get off my lazy ass, and start going door to
door here, and I won't give up until I find her.

C'mon, Brian. This is one of countless lost children around the world, and nowhere
near where I am. In this particular case, for Madeleine McCann, there is nothing I
can do. Now if you can provide me with pictures of the lost children in my area,
that would be different. For a child lost in Portugal, let the locals there look for
her.

Old June 1st 07, 07:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

[...]

She probably isn't still in Portugal, she could be anyplace by now - can you
guarantee the US isn't where she's been taken?

But quite right - Europe should have its own version of codeamber.

Old June 1st 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"ian field" wrote in message

"Brian Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Why would you come up with that conclusion? Stop putting words in my mouth. The
reason I don't agree with posting this kind of stuff on the newsgroups is because I
know they are seen EVERYWHERE.

The Amber Alerts inform us here if a LOCAL child is lost by reporting it over all
LOCAL media (TV, radio, and newspapers). Highway traffic alert signs are even used
around here to inform the public in emergency situations. Recently a small child was
reported missing near here, and the city used the tornado warning sirens to make
people turn on their radios or TVs to find out what was going on in an effort to
locate the child. That kind of action is effective, without wasting the time of
those who don't need to know about it. If a child disappears from my town, there is
no need to tell everyone over in Osaki, Japan about it to have them start looking
there. In the same way, I don't need to be informed that a child is missing from
Portugal on the internet, when I am far from Portugal.

Now if every lost child incident were reported on every internet newsgroup around the
world, think of the millions of total hours wasted by individuals that can do
absolutely nothing to help. It not only doesn't make any sense to report it there
(worldwide) in the first place, but too many of these reports would also lead to a
more apathetic society that gets tired of having their time wasted by things of which
they can do nothing about. It wouldn't be long before most newsgroup readers set
their filters to block out all those types of posts. Keep local issues local. Use
the media and resources that are already out there. Posting to
alt.binaries.pictures.radio is NOT an effective means of informing the Portuguese to
look for this child. We do not need it here. If you really want to help, fly over
to Portugal, and start tacking up posters on every street corner. If leads take you
into other areas, go there. But please don't assume that everyone in the whole world
should be informed of every incident. We have our own local issues to deal with,
often ones in which we can make a difference. That is if we're not wasting our time
reading 99.99+% of the reports that we have no control over.

Old June 1st 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Brian Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

You're sidestepping my whole point. It's not just this particular incident with
Madeleine. It's the effect of posting every lost child incident to every binary
group on Usenet (that you suggested) that we are talking about. Remember that?
"This might seem a bit obvious - but why don't you obtain an electronic
picture of her and post it to every binaries group you can think of? "

But quite right - Europe should have its own version of codeamber.

Putting more words in my mouth? Please be careful who you are responding to. I
never mentioned "Codeamber". That was Michael.

Old June 1st 07, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

ian field wrote:

She probably isn't still in Portugal, she could be anyplace by now - can you
guarantee the US isn't where she's been taken?

Don't you think that any airport, port or train station in the area
is on the lookout for her? How would she have made it to the US? Do
you have a working matter transporter you haven't told us about?

Have you looked at that website? It is very slow to load, has an
audio file that comes blasting through the speakers, and only gives
telephone numbers to contact the police departments. there are too many
graphics, as well. They have shot themselves in both feet so many times
its amazing that they are still upright.

If you want help from people, you have to make it easy and
convenient. If I did have some help to offer I couldn't contact them
because I don't have long distance service, let alone international long
distance so I would have no way to contact them.

Their website is less than useless, its a huge waste of time. With a
broadband connection it took over 20 minutes to download all the crap on
the home page from that overloaded server. Advertising the website
worldwide only adds to the overload and may even cause someone with
useful information to give up.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old June 1st 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

I don't think you get what Jim was saying. There are a lot of OTHER
missing children who might be in his area, but this girl disappeared on
the other side of the earth.

What are the chances that he'll be within a 1000 miles of her, let
alone see her? His time is better spent in cases where he DOES stand a
chance of helping.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Understood. I agree. It is slim to none we here will see the child but hey
even a slight chance is worth boging us down with extra spam in our
newsgroups. I'm not trying to deliberatly knoch Jim. I understand his point
but.....

I hope you guys understand mine?

BH

Old June 1st 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"jim menning" wrote in message

Yeah, I'm being very selfish. I'll get off my lazy ass, and start going
door to door here, and I won't give up until I find her.

C'mon, Brian. This is one of countless lost children around the world,
and nowhere near where I am. In this particular case, for Madeleine
McCann, there is nothing I can do. Now if you can provide me with
pictures of the lost children in my area, that would be different. For a
child lost in Portugal, let the locals there look for her.

No I was not implying you were being selfish. Sorry about that. Yes the
chances of any of us seeing her are 1/10000000000000 but I guess I'm a "do
anything no matter what guy" when it comes to kids, Even if it's ridiculous.
Sometimes ridiculous wins and wouldn't it be great if just one child made it
back home because just one person went off the deep end into the ridiculous?
That's my point and I think kids are a good reason to get ridiculous.

BH

Finding a QSL Manager [email protected] Dx 3 April 5th 07 06:02 PM
Need Help In Finding Manuals Steve Scanner 3 February 12th 07 04:24 PM
HF Direction Finding Buck Antenna 49 February 21st 05 02:53 AM
Finding old CB friends Stephen CB 7 October 27th 04 02:11 PM
Help finding Larkspur Tx Ron Boatanchors 0 November 29th 03 08:55 AM