Old January 20th 04, 01:23 AM
TG

Default Digital - Whats to hear?

I've been an owner of a Realistic (gaaaassp) Pro2052 for the past year and
have enjoyed the trunking with this discone antenna, HOWEVER...

I just cant stop looking at the newer Uniden BC models, specificly the BC
785D (http://www.bc785d.us/) because of its display and backlit buttons.
So what I'd like to know is, on the subject of the optional digital card
add-ons, is there anything "more" to listen to if I buy this scanner and
card? I'm kinda talking just in the digital area...

Are there digital transmissions that can be listened to that analog scanners
cant? I hope this makes sense
And I'm NOT refering to illigal transmissions, just those that can be heard
by digital folks vs. analog.

Thanks group!

Old January 20th 04, 02:30 AM
Quaoar

TG wrote:
I've been an owner of a Realistic (gaaaassp) Pro2052 for the past
year and have enjoyed the trunking with this discone antenna,
HOWEVER...

I just cant stop looking at the newer Uniden BC models, specificly
the BC 785D (http://www.bc785d.us/) because of its display and
backlit buttons.
So what I'd like to know is, on the subject of the optional digital
card add-ons, is there anything "more" to listen to if I buy this
scanner and card? I'm kinda talking just in the digital area...

Are there digital transmissions that can be listened to that analog
scanners cant? I hope this makes sense
And I'm NOT refering to illigal transmissions, just those that can be
heard by digital folks vs. analog.

Thanks group!

In the Front Range of Colorado, if you don't have digital, you have very
little. I have just come out of the silence with a Pro96.

Old January 20th 04, 07:40 AM
TG

Hi Keith.
Right here in Vancouver, WA just 1 mile from Portland, OR.

I dont know if I'm making myself understandble....

We all listen to trunk and conventional. Is there any " juicy " listening
that digital listeners get to listen to vs conventional listening in the
same area???

I hope this is making sense

"Keith" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:23:24 GMT,
TG wrote:
I've been an owner of a Realistic (gaaaassp) Pro2052 for the past year

and
have enjoyed the trunking with this discone antenna, HOWEVER...

I just cant stop looking at the newer Uniden BC models, specificly the

BC
785D (http://www.bc785d.us/) because of its display and backlit buttons.
So what I'd like to know is, on the subject of the optional digital card
add-ons, is there anything "more" to listen to if I buy this scanner and
card? I'm kinda talking just in the digital area...

Actually the newest Uniden digital is the BC796D or BC296D that come with
the digital card already installed, supports 9600 BPS and CQPSK mode

systems.
The PRO-96 from RS/GRE can not support CQPSK. The 785D does NOT support

9600
trunked systems and CQPSK. The 296D/796D is $520 at http://usascan.com

that
includes shipping.

--
Best Regards, Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.com/

Old January 20th 04, 07:54 AM
TG

One other thing if I can...

Why is the Bearcat BC780xlt roughly the same price (depending on where you
look) as the BC 785D if it hass 500 channels less and isnt digital capable?

I'm just wondering if I really need digital or not in the Vancouver, WA
area...

Old January 20th 04, 08:19 PM
Woolridge

probobly because it sets the standard for being one of the best scanners on
the market.
take one look at it and you will see that it has more features then the
average scanner.

Old January 20th 04, 10:07 PM

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:42:01 GMT, "TG"
wrote:

I'm looking at buying one of these two Unidens but I thought that the
digital version (785D) with 500 more channels would be more expensive. The
780xlt has 500 less channels and isn't digital ready so why is it just a few
dollars cheaper then the 785D?

I mean if we're only talking 30-40 dollars (this is comparison shopping
around the net) more for the digital with 500 more channels, why would one
buy the 780xlt?!

BTW: $257! for the 785D with 8 bucks to ship, that is an incredible price,
by far the cheapest I've found around - http://www.bearcatscanner.com/

Thanks group!

Begs the question:

Is there a difference in quality between the 250D and the 785D,
or is it just size & portability?

Old January 21st 04, 12:27 AM
Keith

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:42:01 GMT,
TG wrote:
I'm looking at buying one of these two Unidens but I thought that the
digital version (785D) with 500 more channels would be more expensive. The
780xlt has 500 less channels and isn't digital ready so why is it just a few
dollars cheaper then the 785D?

I mean if we're only talking 30-40 dollars (this is comparison shopping
around the net) more for the digital with 500 more channels, why would one
buy the 780xlt?!

BTW: $257! for the 785D with 8 bucks to ship, that is an incredible price,
by far the cheapest I've found around - http://www.bearcatscanner.com/

Thanks group!

The 785D requires that you buy the digital card for an additional $300 to
receive digital. The reason that the price has dropped on the 785 is because
it is being discontinued. The 796d/296d scanners come with the digital
card preinstalled and support 9600 TRS and CQPSK mode unlike the 785d.

Old January 21st 04, 01:50 AM
Richard Kuhler

TG wrote:
I've been an owner of a Realistic (gaaaassp) Pro2052 for the past year and
have enjoyed the trunking with this discone antenna, HOWEVER...

I just cant stop looking at the newer Uniden BC models, specificly the BC
785D (http://www.bc785d.us/) because of its display and backlit buttons.
So what I'd like to know is, on the subject of the optional digital card
add-ons, is there anything "more" to listen to if I buy this scanner and
card? I'm kinda talking just in the digital area...

Are there digital transmissions that can be listened to that analog scanners
cant? I hope this makes sense
And I'm NOT refering to illigal transmissions, just those that can be heard
by digital folks vs. analog.

It just depends on where you live. Here's a link that will show you
some of the digital systems out there (you may need to setup a free
account on this web site first) ...

http://trunkedradio.net/modules.php?...action=digital

Old January 21st 04, 05:05 AM
TG

I was aware of the additional card.
So now you're saying that the 785d's are being axed?!

So soon there wont be a Uniden 1000 channel radio without paying $500+
dollars?!

I thought this radio just came out in late '02?
With the exception of the BC780xlt (yes, less channels, no digi capability)
there wont be a 'middle' of the road scanner by Uniden? Its the 780 or pay
$500+??!

Old January 24th 04, 01:09 AM
TG

"Keith" wrote in message

The 785D requires that you buy the digital card for an additional $300 to
receive digital. The reason that the price has dropped on the 785 is

because
it is being discontinued. The 796d/296d scanners come with the digital
card preinstalled and support 9600 TRS and CQPSK mode unlike the 785d.

--
Best Regards, Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.com/
http://linux.com http://freebsd.org http://apple.com

I have talked to Uniden today and both reps said that Uniden is NOT
discontinuing the 785D and the idea is just plain crazy.
The radio is just over 2 years old....